Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows7 - where to buy?

• 30-09-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions as to where I can get a cheap enough copy of Windows 7?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

What version are you looking for? eg. Ultimate,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Home Premium; 64-bit; clean install rather than an upgrade version if possible.

http://www.g2play.net/store/Windows-7-Ultimate-64-bit-Multilingial-Version-Digital-Download.html

Is ultimate 64bit - 119.99€

is all i've found so far. it's a digital download from microsoft
    there is also an english version on that site if you dont want the extra languages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

http://www.g2play.net/store/Windows-7-Ultimate-64-bit-Multilingial-Version-Digital-Download.html

Is ultimate 64bit - 119.99€

is all i've found so far. it's a digital download from microsoft
    there is also an english version on that site if you dont want the extra languages.

Anyone tried this? The Home Premium is only €65, seems like a good deal... but for some reason seems a bit too easy and cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Im wondering the best place to buy as well, its 65 quid on amazon, is this a launch offer, or the normal price, may as well get it now if its going to be nice and cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

That 'g2play.net' website is bull**** and it set alarm bells off straight away as soon as I looked at it. Why are they using '@gmail.com' addresses if they are supposedly a legit company.

I wish people would wise up and steer clear of things like this. Be careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Overclockers seem to have home premium quite cheap

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-124-MS

I had a look on their forums and read it was that price until the current stock runs out /shrug

I am considering it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Cheapest Student price is £30 from microsoft if you can get a valid email address, and do you think microsoft would mind if I bought one copy and put it on a number of computers, or not so much mind but would they find out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Cheapest Student price is £30 from microsoft if you can get a valid email address, and do you think microsoft would mind if I bought one copy and put it on a number of computers, or not so much mind but would they find out.

Unless you have entered into a specific industry contractual agreement with Microsoft, your Win 7 should only be applied to one system.
    ...would they find out?

Win 7 during the activation process takes note of your systems details (bios type, processor, etc apparently) and as part of the validation system, records this info to a Microsoft database server.
    So if you try to install a legit copy to another system and the specs do not match up, don't be surprised to get non-functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

According to software4students.co.uk (linked to from microsoft.com - its legit) ANY student, be they primary, secondary or tertiary can buy a student version. So I did, getting the ultimate upgrade version to put on our Vista box.

Like the ordinary version its one license for one computer and because its student you need to enter the school and student name. A parent/guardian can order it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

BigEejit wrote: »
    According to software4students.co.uk (linked to from microsoft.com - its legit) ANY student, be they primary, secondary or tertiary can buy a student version. So I did, getting the ultimate upgrade version to put on our Vista box.

Like the ordinary version its one license for one computer and because its student you need to enter the school and student name. A parent/guardian can order it.

Is this only for UK schools or can you enter the details of a ROI school?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

pontovic wrote: »
    That 'g2play.net' website is bull**** and it set alarm bells off straight away as soon as I looked at it. Why are they using '@gmail.com' addresses if they are supposedly a legit company.

g2play is a very good website. bought well over 20 items from them with no problems whatsoever

EDIT: A number of boardsies from the Gaming section can vouch for this. Its just a case of acquiring a copy of windows 7 and then inputting the key you receive from them. Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gooner99 wrote: »
    Is this only for UK schools or can you enter the details of a ROI school?

Try sofware for students.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Anyone had any luck with this site?:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

It lists nearly all Irish colleges as accepted for the offer but it refuses to validate my DIT email address? Ive emailed the support options listed on the site with no answer... Frustrating seeing as its only £30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Anyone had any luck with this site?:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

It lists nearly all Irish colleges as accepted for the offer but it refuses to validate my DIT email address? Ive emailed the support options listed on the site with no answer... Frustrating seeing as its only £30!

Works for me but only offers me Windows 7 "Upgrade". Upgrade from what, Vista? I thought it needed a fresh install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

What college are you in? I doesnt seem to like my DIT email? :confused:

Dave6195 wrote: »
    What college are you in? I doesnt seem to like my DIT email? :confused:

Sorry should have said, UCD.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

pontovic wrote: »

I can vouch for them. I bought a game off them before and got the key a few minutes later. It worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

quarryman wrote: »
    Works for me but only offers me Windows 7 "Upgrade". Upgrade from what, Vista? I thought it needed a fresh install.

As far as I can tell the Upgrade versions are just cheaper versions of the same software for people with XP or Vista. You need your Vista or XP disc in order to install an Upgrade version but beyond that they seem to be identical. You still need to do a fresh install with the Upgrade versions, or at least you need to do that for XP users anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

The Windows 7 version on the Microsoft store website seems to be cheap in comparison to other places. It's a digital download too-

http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/Microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Full

Still works out cheaper in Euro than PC World (nearest place to me selling it) which is €200.

I know it was mentioned in other posts to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade, but does this this apply to somebody upgrading from Vista? The posts only seem to refer to people upgrading from XP.The Upgrade product is alot cheaper but I am willing to pay for the full version if it's the recommended option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You can do an in-place upgrade over an existing vista install, but an XP upgrade requires a full clean reinstall.

marco_polo wrote: »
    You can do an in-place upgrade over an existing vista install, but an XP upgrade requires a full clean reinstall.

ok so does this 'upgrade' version need to have Vista on it first? And then consequently not work if you have XP as it needs a clean install?
    As far as I can tell the Upgrade versions are just cheaper versions of the same software for people with XP or Vista. You need your Vista or XP disc in order to install an Upgrade version but beyond that they seem to be identical. You still need to do a fresh install with the Upgrade versions, or at least you need to do that for XP users anyway.

ok from reading you post its just enough to have the Vista disc and not necessarily have it installed?

I'm just trying to determine if this 'Upgrade' is some sort of cut down Windows 7 install and not the full thing.

g2play sell you a digital download which you download from Microsoft directly.
    I've bought few things from them after recommendation from a friend and I've got everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm thinking of buying windows 7 myself. Im a primary teacher and I look after a bit of the IT with the boss of the school. If we get a site licence for the 10 or so PCs we have in the school, can I use the site licence on my own laptop that I bought myself as a work laptop? I use it mainly for school business.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

software4students Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition Upgrade
    £59.95 on the uk site and
    €118.45 on the Irish site.
    Would love to know why there is such a big difference?

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Ultimate_64_bit_Edition_Upgrade-details.aspx

http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Ultimate_64_bit_Edition_Upgrade-details.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Anybody know where i can buy a family pack? an upgrade one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'm planning on buying Windows 7. It'll be the first time I buy an OS on its own:D But I seriously think it'll be worth it.

I'm an Irish student atm and have just been on:
    http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Ultimate_64_bit_Edition_Upgrade-details.aspx

I was planning on buying it from there but the UK version is a lot cheaper! WOW!

So my questions: My sister is the UK with a valid student e-mail account etc. Can she order this for me and I can use it legitimately over here and for as long as I want? Is the student licence affected once you graduate?

Also, what are the requirements for installing the upgrade version? I have xp on an old dell inspiron laptop. Will that do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

ok so does this 'upgrade' version need to have Vista on it first? And then consequently not work if you have XP as it needs a clean install?

ok from reading you post its just enough to have the Vista disc and not necessarily have it installed?

I'm just trying to determine if this 'Upgrade' is some sort of cut down Windows 7 install and not the full thing.

ASAIK you do not need your Vista disc to upgrade. If you want to upgrade YOU CAN ONLY DO SO IF YOU HAVE VISTA installed on your PC/Laptop. If you have XP/Windows 200/ME you will need to perform a clean install. The file structure for W7 is very different to that of XP and Pre XP OS.

No the upgrade will have the full functionality of whichever W7 (HP/Ultimate) your purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Ubaroo

batman2000 wrote: »
    No the upgrade will have the full functionality of whichever W7 (HP/Ultimate) your purchase.

What if your currently running Vista 32bit and you want to upgrade to a 64bit version of Windows 7? Could you upgrade it? Or would you have to do a clean install?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Komplett OEM version - 95euro

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=500040

Advertisement