Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in soon - anything I need to know?

Options
  • 30-09-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭

I'm moving into an apartment soon sharing with another person. This is the first time I'm sharing with someone that I don't know beforehand. I've read thru the sticky above but just wondering is there anything else I need to know?

It seems to be mostly about looking for places to live. I've found somewhere though so that's the hard part ( I think...) over.

The other tenant has the lease signed with the landlord. Do I need to sign one also or how will this work? :o

Sorry,... I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to renting. :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

This has come up a few times, so an archive search might be useful.

How long of a notice period do you have?
    Is your contract with the tenant or with the landlord?
    Who do you pay the rent to? (Ensure you get receipts if it's to the tenant - see archive for stories)
    Is your rent a set amount, for how long, can it be reviewed?
    What's the story with visitors? overnight visitors? Acceptable noise levels?
    Bills? Will you split all bills equally, or what?
    Have you a seperate cupboard for your food?
    Chores and household - any rota/rules/obsessions?
    Smoking?
    Access to common areas & garden (in summer!) - some people like the other person to stay in their room....always...
    Can you lock your room? How secure is the apartment/house? Who has the keys?

I'm sure others will have thoughts.

Advertisement