Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you drink milk from the milk tank

• 30-09-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

in these bad times i was thinking of using the milk from the tank until a neighbour told me of some one who got lepto from the milk, whats your opinion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

We did as kids and we turned out okay :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

so do we but we stopped when there was a bad outbreak of tb i dont think lepto was around then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Same as that. We used to skim some of the cream off the top of it for whipping. Ghastly stuff!!!

We bought a pasteuriser for the last few years that we milked cows. Might be a good investment for yourself.

i remember me mam using the pasturiser years ago , but we use 10 x 2 litres a week so we could save alot by using our own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whelan1 wrote: »
    i remember me mam using the pasturiser years ago , but we use 10 x 2 litres a week so we could save alot by using our own

You can sometimes pick up a pasteuriser on ebay cheap enough. Also some of the veterinary suppliers lime magenta direct and Christies direct supply them (I think).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

whelan1 wrote: »
    in these bad times i was thinking of using the milk from the tank until a neighbour told me of some one who got lepto from the milk, whats your opinion

what harm would it do ya , farmers are made of stronger stuff than most :)

i wouldn't be worried about me just the smallies

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

We were reared on the milk straight from the tank. One of my favourites was sitting down to the cornflakes in the morning, grabbing the jug and pouring out the milk, ice cold and lumps of cream - there was atein and drinkin in that stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Aw, fond memories. it was fine for us.
    We were reared up on fresh milk straight from the tank and when the jug was empty we took turns to pop across the road for more.

Dad got out of dairy. its a pity.
    But there no money in it for small farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

reilig wrote: »
    Same as that. We used to skim some of the cream off the top of it for whipping. Ghastly stuff!!!

Ghastly stuff indeed!!!!!!! Used to work in a dairy processing plant a few years ago , the stuff was everywhere cream separators, cream pumps, cream tanks , cream pasteurisers , cream whippers,cream fillers the greasiest smelliest gunge of all time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

dryan wrote: »
    We were reared on the milk straight from the tank. One of my favourites was sitting down to the cornflakes in the morning, grabbing the jug and pouring out the milk, ice cold and lumps of cream - there was atein and drinkin in that stuff!!

+1:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

agree with latter posts! say the milk wouldn't b as healthy as it was years ago for ppl!
    like it was better comin straight from the teat into a bucket! not through pipes,etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

wiggy123 wrote: »
    agree with latter posts! say the milk wouldn't b as healthy as it was years ago for ppl!
    like it was better comin straight from the teat into a bucket! not through pipes,etc...

Yep, there's a major preoccupation nowadays with everything being 100% clean and no bacteria, etc. Way over the top IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

For thousands of years people drank milk without any pasteurising. The food industry got hold of it and with the help of the advertising industry with their "medical" advisors had half the country allergic to milk and eggs.Salt and sugar kill way more people but they wont tell you that.We were at a party last week and there was a big bucket of milk straight from the tank on the table for your tea.If your fond of the big macs or currys a drop of fresh milk wont kill you at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

As I see it, Milk is nowhere near what it used to be, in times past.
    Most Farmers spread petrochemical fertilizers on their land, the grass grows lush from the fertilizers and the cows eat the grass.
    So basically cows are used to process petrochemicals into milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

My father worked on a dairy farm for years and the 6 kids were all reared on the milk straight from the tank.
    I remember my mother making vast quantitys of rice pudding with it man that was good just like ambrosia creamed rice.
    When he finished working there it took us years to get used to the bottled crap as we used to call it.

Advertisement