Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there somewhere I can warn people about a landlord?

Options
  • 30-09-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Because I moved out a month ago and they're STILL jerking me around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

post about it on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

nah, they'll delete it 'cause it could get boards into trouble :(

Still. I wish there was a "mylandlordisadick.ie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Well you have Ratemyteacher and theres a solicitor one too, and I know that a ratemygp domain is registered.

Why not start a Ratemylandlord type site?

there's something similar for driving instructors as well.

I think it's an excellent idea - I just don't know enough about programming to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i think its a good idea and I have the ability to create something like it. I thought about it before but then decided not to.

There are some things you would need to overcome before you even looked to do something like this , like how do you stop people pumping up or down a rating by voting multiple times?

How would you ensure it didnt become libelous etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

http://ratemylandlord.ie/

Under construction. :D

D3PO wrote: »
    i think its a good idea and I have the ability to create something like it. I thought about it before but then decided not to.

There are some things you would need to overcome before you even looked to do something like this , like how do you stop people pumping up or down a rating by voting multiple times?

How would you ensure it didnt become libelous etc etc

IP logging?

May also help with the legalities.

Actually, you know what would be nice?

If potential tenants would ask for tenant references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I wish places like Daft would have a Comments section, under the property listed.
    Moderated of course.
    This way we could identify scammers like Estate Agents putting up pictures that are not even from the property they are offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Xiney wrote: »
    IP logging?

May also help with the legalities.

most people have access to more than 1 pc in different locations these daya.

i was thinking of having to limit reponses based off of PRTB registrations. I.e you put up your rating but can only once rating can be recieved per prtb registration validated.

• Advertisement

except that there are so many dodgy landlords who don't bother with PRTB registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Xiney wrote: »
    Actually, you know what would be nice?

If potential tenants would ask for tenant references.

Best. Idea. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Name the area and type of property(nothing wrong with that, just narrows the choice) so when someone goes to rent a property it will help make them cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Please don't name people here, especially if they can't defend themselves.
    gurramok wrote: »
    Name the area and type of property(nothing wrong with that, just narrows the choice) so when someone goes to rent a property it will help make them cautious.
    You might have soem problems - there are tens of thousands of properties in, for example Dublin 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I think it's a great idea, in fairness to my previous landlord she couldn't have been nicer. I had to terminate a 1 year lease less than half way through and she had no problem with it and gave me back my full deposit. I did keep the place well though and gave her plenty of notice but would be more than willing to give her a positive rating!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd a great landlady, too, who was very quick to replace appliances if they weren't working properly, and who was extremely decent to deal with. She was willing to allow a housemate to pay only part of their rent for a month or three until their finances were in order again and also returned another housemate's deposit, even though they only gave 2 weeks' notice (however, they did have to find someone to replace them). But still, more than decent and I'd be happy to give her a postive rating on a ratemylandlord website.

However, like the ratemyteacher website, it's always going to be open to abuse by both landlord and tenant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Victor wrote: »
    Please don't name people here, especially if they can't defend themselves.
    You might have soem problems - there are tens of thousands of properties in, for example Dublin 6.

Perhaps saying the apt is a few streets from O'Connell St for example? :D

Advertisement