Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking rice

Options
  • 30-09-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Can someone give me some tips for cooking rice?
    Every time I make rice it goes really sticky.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ideally, you'd be rinsing the rice before cooking it.

When you have it measured into the pot, run it under a tap for a few minutes, until the water running off the rice is clear, instead of milky.

This is the starch coming off the rice, and should make it less sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Thanks Des.

Also would you recommend heating up the water before adding the rice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

here is how I do it

1)take one full cup of rice and place in a sieve -
    2)put the sieve and the rice in a pot and under running water stir the rice quickly enough with whatever you like (i use an egg whisk)
    3)every now and then empty all the water out of the pot and be filling it again under running water from the tap and stirring
    4)eventualy usually just over a minuite for me and about 5 or 6 empties of the pot water you will notice the water isnt discloured any more so you can stop now and shake the sieve to dilodge any exxcess water and leave it sitting over a bowl or something so it doent drip everywhere.
    5) finely chop 3 cloves or garlic and place in pot with enough sunflower or olive oil to barely cover the garlic and cook until the garlic only just starts to brown.
    6)at this point and your strained and washed rice into the same pot along with a cup and a half (the same cup you measured the rice) of water or even better, stock. i would also reccomend plenty of sea salt - you'd be sprised how much you can use but each time you make it you can adjust to what suits your taste.
    7)make sure you put a lid that COMPLETELY seals the pot and bring to the boil.
    8)AS SOON as it boils you MUST put it to simmer immediately for 12 minuits.
    9)NEVER EVER take of the lid from when you start to bring it to the boil.
    10) after 12 minuits turn of the gas.
    11)the longer you leave it stand the fluffier it will get but also colder so again play around with that.

its a nice easy and quick way to make good rice. Unfortunately though sonce i have done it this way i can never order rice in a restraunt as its rarely if ever cooked as good an just all starchy and sticky (discounting indian and chinese obviously)

I know its a long winded exploanation but i can usually have the rice made in about 20 minuits and its always the same.

really important never to take of the lid

if you want to make a special effort and have every grain seperate 1/2 hour before you wash the rice put it in a pot covered in water and squeeze half a lemon and mix it around and let it stand.

i can rarely be bothered with this but it does make a difference and if having guests i'll make the effort

enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

also if you are on electric and no gas you'll need to use 2 rings as the cooldown form 6 - to simmer takes too long and effects the time

If forced to use electric hob i use one ring to bring to the boil and have another ring ready at 2 so i can switch it to simmering immediately as it comes to the boil,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Cheers jasperok,

Much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Rinse the rice before putting it in the pot. Pour in enough water to cover the rice and then 1 finger height above in the pot. A pinch of salt helps to equalise the temperature in the water when it is boiling.

Bring the water to the boil for 2 mins then switch off the ring completely and leave the pot on the hot hob for a further 15 - 20 mins. The water should be completely absorbed.

If making coconut rice substitute half the water for coconut milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Always put the rice into boiling salted water.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can someone give me some tips for cooking rice?
    Every time I make rice it goes really sticky.

TIA

Buy a rice cooker, not a flash non-stick one, just a normal one from an Asian supermarket.
    Rinse the rice and follow the directions that come with the cooker.
    You cannot go wrong with one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Are rice cookers worth it though? Lidl have one this week for 20 euro, just don't know what's the point in them? Would you not get the same result in a normal saucepan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭PFJSplitter

Remember the 1:2 rule for boiling rice:
    1 cup of rice:2 cups of water.
    2 C rice:4 C water
    et cetera....

Basic recipe:
    1 cup of rice
    2 cups of water
    1/2 teaspoon of salt (Kosher or Sea)
    1 tablespoon of butter

Bring water or stock to a boil, add salt & butter, add rice, bring to a boil then turn down to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Experiment with cooking times and remember that different types of rice will have different optimal cooking times.

IMPORTANT: Resist the urge to STIR the rice as it cooks - makes the rice 'gummy' or 'sticky'. Also resist the urge to repeatedly remove the cover to 'check' the cooking progress.
    Resist the urge to add lots of water to the pot and cook rice like pasta - rice becomes too watery. Follow the 1:2 rule - it really does work.

To add a bit of flavour to the rice, you may substitute chicken or beef stock for the water.
    If using water, you might like to add a slice or two of freshly cut ginger root or stem, or other herbs, to the pot - experiment to get the flavour you prefer.
    Lemon or orange zest also adds a nice flavour to the rice.
    I purchased a rice steamer, but only used it once. Now I use it when I want to steam sea scallops or shrimp.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cAr0l wrote: »
    Are rice cookers worth it though? Lidl have one this week for 20 euro, just don't know what's the point in them? Would you not get the same result in a normal saucepan?

You can if you are experienced with cooking rice, however any asian household will have a rice cooker, what does that tell you?
    I have one a plain anodised chinese knockoff of an old National/Panasonic design.
    Brilliant piece of kit if you like rice.
    That lidl one is a multipurpose type I would avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

glaston wrote: »

If you salt the water from the outset it can cause the grains to toughen and take longer to cook. Try salting about three minutes from the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

This is all useful advice but I'm guessing that it's mostly about standard long-grain rice. You could try switching to a different rice type.

For example I find I get more consistent results with basmati rice. It has a longer grain and is usually associated with Indian dishes, and is much more sturdy, if you know what I mean. The trick is to give it a good rinse before using, to get rid of excess starch.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

How much per person for an ample portion. That's a question i need to ask. Would it be a cup of rice? Or how many grams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Some packets advise 75g-100g of uncooked rice as one portion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

cAr0l wrote: »

Every household I've been into in China and that's more than a few has one. That said they don't like fluffy rice there - think of chopsticks for the reason why. Sticky all the way.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I usually go with 1/2 cup per person, will depend a bit on the size of your cups. If cooking for a few always throw in a bit extra, but 1/2 cup does me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

glaston wrote: »

I couldn't disagree more!

Always use cold water:D
    I never season rice - usually whatever you eat rice with will be well seasoned.
    I never use oil of any kind when cooking rice - unless it's risotto.
    I like Thai Fragrant rice - for this I use 1 measure of rice to 1 1/2 measures of water. Bring to boil, stir once, turn down very low (keep lid on and do not stir) for about 12 mins. Leave sit with lid on for 5 - 10 mins.

Perfect rice!

Basmati - same as above but use a little more water.

Thai brown - use a little less water and cook for about 20 mins.

I never cared much for rice when all I had was Uncle Ben's.
    There's so much more to rice than white long grain!

Oh yeah, I usually wash the rice first too

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭noeleenred

My tip for long grain rice is, don't stir the rice when it's cooking. Use a fork to fluff it if needed but I usually leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

1 cup of rice
    1.5 cups of cold water

Bring to the boil, turn down to lowest temperature setting, cover and leave it. Don't stir it or you'll break down the starch and make it sticky. Takes 15mins approx for water to be fully absorbed.

Serve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

+1 on rice cooker,the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Feck the absorption method!

A mug of rice (basamati ftw) per 2 people into a pot of boiling water. 10 minutes or so later, stick a fork into the pot and taste a few grains... decide whether it needs another couple of mins or not.

Empty the pot of rice into a sieve and then put it back into the pot, take off the heat.

Lovely, fluffy rice and as easy to cook as pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Feck the absorption method!

A mug of rice (basamati ftw) per 2 people into a pot of boiling water. 10 minutes or so later, stick a fork into the pot and taste a few grains... decide whether it needs another couple of mins or not.

Empty the pot of rice into a sieve and then put it back into the pot, take off the heat.

Lovely, fluffy rice and as easy to cook as pasta.

But with most of the flavour washed away and all the starch too - rice need to be a bit sticky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

The easiest way I found is to get one cup of rice and put it in a bowl, pour in two cups of boiling water and then whack it in the microwave for 12-13 mins and the rice always come out perfect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

1 Cup of uncooked rice makes 4 cups of cooked rice, Id recommend 1 cup for two adults!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i'm gonna throw my two cents in here as i come from a half iraqi household and ate rice everyday or my life (i will never understand boiled potatoes).

rinse your measure of rice well and put into a good non-stick pot, cover with cold water to the depth of your knuckle over the top, pour in a few tablespoons of veg oil/sunflower oil, give it a good stir..
    cook on a medium heat until the water has just about boiled off the top, turn the heat right down and allow to cook with the lid on for a further 20 minutes (do not take the lid off).. as mentioned before if using an electric hob change the rings, you don't want the rice to burn!
    after the 20minutes you should not be able to see any water left on the rice at all (the pot will be steamy)..
    take it off the heat and carefully place a plate upside down over the top...
    turn the pot over (this is where the good non-stick bit comes in) and what you should have is a wonderfully impressive rice cake with a really yummy crunchy crust!

this works best with basmati rice, the tilda brand is really lovely!

i will also say, as a rice snob, the tilda brand of express rice is amazing!

Advertisement