Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berget 8 - 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Firekitten wrote: »
    Get used to it... everyone else in the world uses one for 500s... Then again, if you can't hit it outside the minimum engagement distance, you're doing something fundimentally wrong...

8.5j? **** playing against that... im under the belief also, its around 3j ish... 700fps iirc with 50m min engagement. Not too big a deal at that power limit... most achivable hitswise if you know what you're doing and set your rifle up right.

The thing is we always seem to be too close to the enemy to use a 500fps rifle it was always a dark cqbish forest like area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

or perhaps Georgia

was what come to my mind when i read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Max velocity for class 8 bolt action sniper -> 199 m/s (Min engagement 40 meters)
    Max bb weight for a class 8 rifle -> 0.43 g

1/2.m.v^2

1/2 (0.00043 kg) (199 m/s)^2

(0.000215) (39601)

= 8.5 Joules :)

I think the waiting around would be worthwhile, even for one of the days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Puding wrote: »
    why would he be taking the piss with that?

Not only did he sit around doing nothing but upon arrival, Doc & Gerrow gave spiels about how we should get into the Larp.
    Seriously, they spieled for a good half hour.
    Afterwards, a brief silence bestowed our section, then Cheeky lifts his head and says with utter contempt, 'I'm not calling you 'sir''.

Face palms ensued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

The max velocity is using a .20 bb so it would be about 3.9J

facepalm

anything to distract me from reports I guess! :rolleyes:

Max velocity for class 8 bolt action sniper -> 199 m/s (Min engagement 40 meters)

1/2.m.v^2

(0.000215) (39601)

im afraid not , the m/s is with .20 so your joule limit is about 3.89 ish as already mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

1/2.m.v^2

(0.000215) (39601)

I hope your teachers never see that one... (they may want that leaving cert back) its around 3.9j, 700fps ish.
    The thing is we always seem to be too close to the enemy to use a 500fps rifle it was always a dark cqbish forest like area
    Thats the job of the sniper... Dont follow them into the 'dark cqbish forrest'... Find a spot that gives you the chance to do your job, and let them come to you, or hit them from somewhere apropriate... its al location location location... and not just the property market ;)
    then Cheeky lifts his head and says with utter contempt, 'I'm not calling you 'sir''.
    +1 to cheeky

Firekitten wrote: »
    I hope your teachers never see that one... (they may want that leaving cert back) its around 3.9j, 700fps ish.

Yes thanks, copped that one from the last few replies...
    just skimmed over the numbers, missed the bit mentioning .2g.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Hmmm. Anyone got a ballpark on the cost it would be to get there and play? I am deeply interested - perhaps I will build that 'cannon' :D

Thats the job of the sniper... Dont follow them into the 'dark cqbish forrest'... Find a spot that gives you the chance to do your job, and let them come to you, or hit them from somewhere apropriate... its al location location location... and not just the property market

as far as im aware they where operating in more of a dmr role as part of the larger unit so not always possible to run off on your own and operate in perfect conditions

i would not be so fast to labels someone critizm of of high fps and min engage ment as a lake of knowledge or inability to play there role,

it turned out from a large number of the guys that went this year that the 1j limit with no min engagement distance was an advantage and with the fast and close engagement gave a distinct advantage when up close over others than had to retreat or switch to a side arm
    Hmmm. Anyone got a ballpark on the cost it would be to get there and play? I am deeply interested - perhaps I will build that 'cannon'

a good place to look would be the 2009 berget thread, there is some nice information on cost in there, of course it will more than likely have changed a little but gives you some good starting points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Phractal wrote: »
    Hmmm. Anyone got a ballpark on the cost it would be to get there and play? I am deeply interested - perhaps I will build that 'cannon' :D

Straight off the bat, roughly €160 + €40-ish (for "flight charges" on your flight case) to get yourself onto Swedish soil from Dublin. Roughly €50-60 for first-class rail travel (highly recommended for the experience) with food booked and free wi-fi. After that, up to yourself what you awnt to opt for accommodation-wise, eating, drinking, etc.

But as Puding said, go look at the Berget 8 & Berget 9 threads.
    as far as im aware they where operating in more of a dmr role as part of the larger unit so not always possible to run off on your own and operate in perfect conditions

You will find people operating as pairs or individuals at Berget. They tend to really know what they're doing of course and have been doing it for quite sometime at that.

i would not be so fast to labels someone critizm of of high fps and min engage ment as a lake of knowledge or inability to play there role,

it turned out from a large number of the guys that went this year that the 1j limit with no min engagement distance was an advantage and with the fast and close engagement gave a distinct advantage when up close over others than had to retreat or switch to a side arm

Offtopic, but im not sure you get what he was saying... He was refering to the sniper role... its not up close and personal. As for my criticism Puding, I've played the sniper role in England for coming on 4 years now... I've always had a minimum safety engagement distance. And i've managed to cope perfectly happily... its never once been a disadvantage frankly... advantage infact. Once you are able to mentally judge distance, its fine, and if playing a dmr role, with limits, even in a squad you can position yourself apropriately to be able to take a shot if it arrises... engagement or not. Its not about 'running off alone' its just being aware of your surroundings, and considerate of possible attack.

You will find people operating as pairs or individuals at Berget. They tend to really know what they're doing of course and have been doing it for quite sometime at that.

yes they do but as far as I'm aware nobody from the Irish group was really doing this , that is why I mention there role was more akin to dmr, my point was that in my view unlike fire kitten somones critizm of engagment distances is not a reflection in there skill or knowledge.

Yes you have 4 years of experiance but does not mean your the messire and others peoples experiances are also not valid and correct there are positives and negatives to both set ups.

You need to stop being so defensive both of you. Both povs and view point are valid and have merit, and and anyone looking to travel and upgrade for the sniper role at the event should Liston to people with experiance of berger to enshore they go with open eyes and avoid disappointment , as we say to everyone sniping is not like in the movies, to me this is the same at 1j as it is at 3j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As dodgy as this might sound and I hope the mods dont take this the worong way,

But if your looking to upgrade for Berget, really read into your rifles specs, and consult with someone in the know, to see if your rifle will handle it.

Our two snipers last year, who could have been big assets, were totally unuseable due to their rifles giving them jip when they upgraded, as did a number of guys guns who went over the joule.

We decided to keep at 1joule, so we could engage at any distance and it worked a treat, and realisticly, we never got outgunned. I never saw a target shooting at me, that I didnt tag back.

Alot of fire you come under though is un identifiable be it in trees or really good cover.

An essential piece of kit is really, vegetation. Something we had never done before arriving and it made a world of difference. I remember we were setting an ambush on either side of a road anticipating enemy contact, it was dark and a whole platoon of friendlies walked up and were standing in front of us, unable to see us, I stepped out to liase with their CO and he nearly **** his break when we all stood up.

I wouldnt get hung up though on the fps limit really. You can run into serious problems with upgrading and not knowing if you gun can handle it, obviously its not "legal" to upgrade your gun past the joule, but I don't know if theres a "morally ok" way to do it, maybe put the spring into your gearbox outside of a gun? Then run it in a bit and see what happens.

I think I'll be keeping at the joule again, although I might crank it up to 450 for the lols just to see if there is a distance, which I doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Just to make it clear, any upgrades to guns bringing them over 1J must be done after you leave the jurisdiction, and the gun must be downgraded again before you return.

If you're determined to do an upgrade - and most players say it's not worth the hassle - you can do it at the event.

(Experienced airsofters know this already, this is for the information of new readers.)

yes they do but as far as I'm aware nobody from the Irish group was really doing this , that is why I mention there role was more akin to dmr, my point was that in my view unlike fire kitten somones critizm of engagment distances is not a reflection in there skill or knowledge.

Yes you have 4 years of experiance but does not mean your the messire and others peoples experiances are also not valid and correct there are positives and negatives to both set ups.

You need to stop being so defensive both of you. Both povs and view point are valid and have merit, and and anyone looking to travel and upgrade for the sniper role at the event should Liston to people with experiance of berger to enshore they go with open eyes and avoid disappointment , as we say to everyone sniping is not like in the movies, to me this is the same at 1j as it is at 3j
    I think you missed my point...
    I was critisizing thier ability to play with the engagement distances... I brought up my experience to reflect the length of time ive played using those distances, and that power of rifle... NOT to pump up my own ego... I don't frankly give a crap who thinks im awesome in a game full of toy guns, Im trying to point out the key thing your missing... is that the person moaned because they didnt account for the game rules...

You are right, its the same at 1j as 3, but with 3, you have added safety concerns, and range. Its your DUTY to prepare yourself by being at the right distance to engage. As a Designated marksman, you can push out on a flank, and shaddow your unit, providing roving cover... OR you can go with them if you have enough distance to engage your target. you wouldn't stand right next to someone and complain you didnt have room to swing your broad sword would you?

We got alot of stick for staying at 1J.

But we showed them.

I know... i heard... good on you guys... it takes someone at 1j to kick thier ass and show them how high fps isnt everything they think it makes them.

We got alot of stick for staying at 1J.

But we showed them.

To be honest though, the quality of play wasn't what I expected over there, it was pretty average at best.

In contrast to the platoons operating in nato that seemed very organised, structured and very impressive in the field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

Regardless of play it sounds like a great experience and I'm really hoping to get out for this year! Just need to start saving the penny's :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

berget 6 i loved,

berget 7, nearly died of the heat, got eaten alive, sl9 was completly useless, couldnt get parts to fix my p90, had to pay hundreds of euros in weight charges because they forgot to add my sport equipment request, left my passport in the hotel and had to race back in a taxi again costing a fortune,
    So if you think for one second that i'd go back, then you must be stark staring mad.

Looking forward to berget 8;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Skatedude wrote: »
    berget 6 i loved,

berget 7, nearly died of the heat, got eaten alive, sl9 was completly useless, couldnt get parts to fix my p90, had to pay hundreds of euros in weight charges because they forgot to add my sport equipment request, left my passport in the hotel and had to race back in a taxi again costing a fortune,
    So if you think for one second that i'd go back, then you must be stark staring mad.

Looking forward to berget 8;)

Berget 7 is over man, roll on Berget 8 :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

quick tip , i for one will be bringing a BIG bag of spares next year.
    one of the cork lads got charged an obscene amount of money for a motor last year.

I'm also forsaking tents in favour of bivvy bag/basha/mozzie net next year. Being woken up in a tent by a pool of sweat dripping into your ear is the opposite of fun.

I for one welcome our new big-bag-of-spares-carrying overlord.

:)

horgan_p wrote: »
    quick tip , i for one will be bringing a BIG bag of spares next year.
    one of the cork lads got charged an obscene amount of money for a motor last year.

the fact you threatened to crate me up ship me over this year, does not boad well for next year.........:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭deepimpact

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Being woken up in a tent by a pool of sweat dripping into your ear is the opposite of fun.

Yeah, Doc tended to do that.

So up for next year. Just need to research the roles a bit before I decide

I'm also forsaking tents in favour of bivvy bag/basha/mozzie net next year. Being woken up in a tent by a pool of sweat dripping into your ear is the opposite of fun.

I will be putting some serious thought into my sleeping arrangements for next year.
    The heat would be difficult to overcome, but our exhaustion should have allowed us to sleep through it.

It was the flipping ant hills that the nato tents were erected upon that caused my discomfort.
    I don't know how many times I woke up to the feeling or something tiny crawling across my body, or even biting me!

2653552606_a3847e89c2.jpg

******s, tents will make you a sexual tyranasauras, just like meeee..

I dont give a **** what i sleep in, I'm just not bringing half the **** I did this year

One gun, one pistol and minimal clothing

I'm nearly half tempted, should i be in a command role again, to just buy a ****off 400fps pistol, and loads of mags

• Advertisement

No, I'm saying the heat wasn't the problem, the frikkin wildlife was.
    So if we rough it, it'll be even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

So if we rough it, it'll be even worse.

The heat was admittedly at a far higher level this year than last, which was bareable. Overly hot in the tents, but not at a level that feels like your lungs are sucking hot vaccum.

Oh, and btw ... The gamezone we were originally meant to use has a snake population.

Sleep tight now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Did you see the majestic moooooose?

Yes, it bit my sisters hand, as she karved her initials into it.

I don't know how many times I woke up to the feeling of something tiny crawling across my body, or even biting me!

Are you sure that wasn't... er... never mind.

OzCam wrote: »
    Are you sure that wasn't... er... never mind.

I'm almost certain...

spare parts are essential, berget 6 had loads of shops selling/upgrading but berget 7 had almost no parts and no one was officially doing upgrades. I brought a lot of spares and spent more time repairing stuff for people then anyting else.(until my soldering iron blew up in the heat)
    And i deffinatly wont be bring the sl9 at 500fps. too much trouble, but i did want a chance to try out a maxed out sniper.
    this year it will be back to my trusty p90 with systema full tune up kit, i never had any problems with it.

I'm not sure what team yet, but we have 3 weeks to decide. i like the idea of a smaller team as nato was getting too bloated with players lately.

Naf 23 or 3rd has some appeal. it has a mix of guarding and offensive which appeals to me, The guard duty suited me because it was a bit to warm for me during the day to be out hiking all the time. and the team sizes arnt too big.

But it might be nice trying the civilians/ merc roles.

Ps, what was that avon product that worked as mosquito repellent?

k, noticed that 3rd naf have no off time and ammo restrictions, which will make it a bit more challaging. so more of a special ops type of role.
    Dont mind the ammo restriction, but i kinda like having the down time.

Ditto. It's very easy to act the hard man on the interwebs beforehand, but downtime is essential if you just want to have a good game.

• Advertisement

If you cant laugh at yourself eh?

downtime.jpg

Downtime - He needs it.

I love that picture. It looks like Oz has had rigor mortis set in.

the scary thing is that's a before shot ! the after game shot is censored and requires age verification to view ;)

Skatedude wrote: »
    Ps, what was that avon product that worked as mosquito repellent?

Skin So Soft. I believe it's available as a spray. It does work, but only for about 4 hours and has to be reapplied frequently. I don't know how compatible it is with camouflage cream or whether sweat washes it off.

I found Ultrathon to work brilliantly. Search the Berget threads from earlier this year for a detailed description of insect repellents.

I love that picture. It looks like Oz has had rigor mortis set in.

Point is , even if you dont think you need down time.you do.
    Its 3 days , not a sunday skirmish.
    I'll be better prepared for this one though.

I found this new post on the Berget forum. The explanation of different play types might be handy for the newer players reading this thread, and the Berget-jargon is useful for those of us who are deciding which unit to join in B8.

What type of player are you? This might be in handy if you are new to Berget.

Here you can see the group you belong to according to the Berget Standard.

Beginner:
    Has participated in some local games in their homeland, have been attracted to Berget of their more experienced players. Very often is this category involved in problems during the event when they have not read the rules properly and assumed Berget being like their local Sunday games . Do often complain about lack of action, showers and other comfortables.

TIP: Read the rules! Read Veterans corner on the forum!

Speedball Player:
    Playing airsoft as it were a contest, often calls the event a tournament that they must win. Often play paintball and is confused with rules from there. These players are often disappointed in the Berget games when they do not get the same amount of action as in their local speedball games. Unfortunately, these players are also involved in cheating and rule discussions. These players are too competitive and can not cope if an opponent misses a hit.

TIP: Change the style of play or stay home!

Action player:
    The most common type of players participating on Berget. These players take the time to read and understand the rules to get prepared. Want action but has no trouble guarding an object for a few hours. Has extensive experience from airsoft and has often played a few years. These players are happy as long as they get interesting missions and some lardge firefights per day.

TIP: Do not play on the Milsim team!

Milsim player:
    Like all aspects of the game, appreciative of militarily organization in their team. Follows orders to the letter. Has no problem with spying on an enemy for a day without firing a shot. Is often well trained and has a good physique does not complain about having to go back and forth across the playing area.

TIP: Keep in mind that the Berget is not a milsim, therefore, choose a team with many milsimplayers and accept and respect people who does not take the game as serious.

Berget veteran:
    These players have the experience of several Berget games and often other international biggames. They can play all gamestyles, are very experienced and often play key roles as officers, trustees and LARP roles important for the storyline. These players know what they can expect when they choose teams and adapts thereafter.

TIP: Write more stuff in Veterans Forum

LARP players:
    Likes to play civilian roles during the game and cares a lot about politics and the games storyline. These players are often very appreciated as the set the tone for the entire game with acting. These players care less about shooting and often perform their missions with alot of freedom in accordance with their character..

TIP: Keep in mind that not everyone likes LARP, do not be pissed off if not all players LARP back.

Please send questions to:
    info@berget-events.com

• Advertisement

after going over the teams some more, i beginning t think the Psyops might be the one to go for. it has a good mix of milsim and larp as you have to hold the prison,(but we do need to help build it first) to go out and capture and interagate as well as having to option to change to civilians for larp roles. think it has the most variety as well as not been too big a team.

only problem is that i still have about 2 dozen bloody blue arm bands, oh well

we need to make a list of what each team offers compared to what people want, but i do think we will be scattered over the teams more this year, but i do think the smaller teams are the way to go

Ian won't be going... "Unfortunately I will not be able to make the 2010 event as we have a new arrival being introduced in to the Wermerling household next year. :)
    But I hope you all have a fantastic event. :)"

Dammit.

That poor baby is in for an awful shouting to when it gets born because of this

Change of dates for Berget 8

During the launch of our webpage the dates were wrong. Berget 8 is launched one week earlier than stated first. The website have been updated with the correct information. Sorry for the inconvenience.

These are the correct dates:

Date: Wednesday the 16th - Saturday 19th of June 2010
    Check in opens: Tuesday 15th 09:00 CET
    Pre-game Gathering: All players shall gather in homebase before 18:00 CET the 16th.

Game start: 22:00 CET Wednesday the 16th
    Game ends: 15:00 CET Saturday the 19th.
    Beer party starts: 19:00 CET Saturday the 19th
    Beer party ends: 03:00 CET Sunday the 20th

horgan_p wrote: »
    That poor baby is in for an awful shouting to when it gets born because of this

Post of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement