Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know of any jobs in melbourne?

• 30-09-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

hey folks,
    Any one know any jobs going? Im in IT and the missus is an accountant looking for bookkeeping.

To be honest, at this stage we're looking beyond It support and book-keeping and have start applyin in cafes/restaurants etc so willing to do pretty much anything.

Let us know if anyone knows of anything.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

What type of accountant is your missus? Is she a qualified accountant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

she did ACCA. so after 5 or so years in college she has a few years expeience on top of that doing practice. Oddly enough, anyone she spoke to over here has ever heard of ACCA. Its all CPA over here, but i think its a different CPA than is in Ireland.

Its ok though,i got a good job doin IT, and she got some temp work. Hopefully we'll be sorted now for the rest of our trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

Chartered accountancy is the one to bring to oz (ACA), not ACCA. CPA is similar to chartered, and both org's have reciprocol membership agreements ie possible for chartered accountant from ireland to become CPA without sitting any exams - I thinks it 6 mths oz experience or something + signature of cpa member. Where have ye been looking? How long was she looking before finding something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

If your looking for anything, get onto gumtree, check out the insulation installers jobs, have a few friends doing it at the mo, and making good money 800-1000 a week, have an offer of it myself, just not sure if i'll take it as am waiting to hear back about some other prefferable jobs. Keep trying there is stuff out there.

oh and avoid the insulation 'sellers' jobs, its not really selling as its free, but unless going door to door is your thing then stay away from it!
    good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

dont for the love of god waste your time with seek!!! never heard a good thing about it!! register with some of the agencies, you'd be surprised, within 2 weeks i was in a job!
    happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

DamoDLK wrote: »
    dont for the love of god waste your time with seek!!! never heard a good thing about it!! register with some of the agencies, you'd be surprised, within 2 weeks i was in a job!
    happy hunting!

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this to be honest. Every job I've ended up in over here has come through Seek. I think it really depends on the line of work you're looking for, I've not heard of many people having much success with admin jobs posted on there but for any IT positions I've gone for I've gotten a great response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I got my job through seek ... and so did a few of my friends ....

I work for a big bank too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i got my IT job thru seek too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

DamoDLK wrote: »
    happy hunting!

But sure all the agencies are on seek. Arent they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

But sure all the agencies are on seek. Arent they?

Yeah number 1 job website in Aus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

hussey wrote: »
    Yeah number 1 job website in Aus

No need to sell that to me buddy! Im already a believer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Just from my own experience of seek, the legal field, was notoriously difficult to crack, to even get an interview or a response from melbourne lawyers was next to impossible.

I will admit that i agree with Traq, it depends on your field and what your looking for... long term short term...

After all the jobs that i applied for on seek, i was delighted to take anything, which i did, i guess thats what the WTV, is all about anyway sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkeith5

The_B_Man wrote: »
    ye i got my IT job thru seek too.
    Im in melbourne now looking for a job in IT do you mind me asking what area in IT you are in and how much experience you have. I've been applying but my lack of experience seems to be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Try the website backpackers job board. I got a few jobs of that site when I first moved to Melbourne. Then I got something full time. Mostly cash jobs aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

kkeith5 wrote: »
    Im in melbourne now looking for a job in IT do you mind me asking what area in IT you are in and how much experience you have. I've been applying but my lack of experience seems to be a problem.

Mod note
    This post was from 7 years ago. Please start a new thread for your query.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement