Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anomaly scan

Options
  • 30-09-2009 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

It didn't occur to me earlier (busy with other things + pregnancy stupidity kicking in), but isn't an anomaly scan at 20 weeks a bit late?

By "a bit" I actually mean a lot late. the only real use at that stage is just to be informed, but there's hardly any time to do something else if there's a big problem.

I'm low risk, so only getting one scan for the entire pregnancy and it didn't bother me until now. Chances are everything will be ok, but I would like to know for the future if it is possible to have an earlier anomaly scan/test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I had a scan at 12 weeks and then I didnt get another until 24 weeks. I could see babys spine and all. I'm sure everything will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

lolli wrote: »
    I had a scan at 12 weeks and then I didnt get another until 24 weeks. I could see babys spine and all. I'm sure everything will be fine.

I'm sure it will, I'll try to be smarter next time around though and ask more questions.
    I'm in general quite shy and noticed that while midwives and GPs were all very nice to me they weren't really volunteering any information. i understand that they are very busy but it's my 1st and I hardly even know what to ask and I'm in and out of the office in 10 min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

No. You get the anomoly scan around 22 weeks. You should get a dating scan around 12 weeks, but the hospitals are so backed up it doesnt seem many people get the 12 week. Some hospitals also do a viability scan around 7 weeks.

No. You get the anomoly scan around 22 weeks. You should get a dating scan around 12 weeks, but the hospitals are so backed up it doesnt seem many people get the 12 week. Some hospitals also do a viability scan around 7 weeks.

According to Holles St. policy they only do 20 week scan unless it is indicated.
    So as far as they are concerned 20 weeks IS my dating scan..(that's what my chart says)
    Although I read that at 20 weeks the date is accurate only within a week so it is kind of useless for dating anyway...
    is it a hospital dependent thing then?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We got ours at 23 weeks. 20 weeks is the ideal time AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    We got ours at 23 weeks. 20 weeks is the ideal time AFAIK.

I agree 23 weeks is worse, but even with 20 there's only 4 weeks in which you can do something about it and it is way more traumatic than if it was before 20 weeks imo.

ebmma wrote: »
    According to Holles St. policy they only do 20 week scan unless it is indicated.
    So as far as they are concerned 20 weeks IS my dating scan..(that's what my chart says)
    Although I read that at 20 weeks the date is accurate only within a week so it is kind of useless for dating anyway...
    is it a hospital dependent thing then?

Ok I dont know. I had part of my pregnancy here in Ireland and part of it in the US.

What I was told in the US, is there are three scans.

1. The viability scan - to check if theres a heartbeat.

2. The dating scan - which has to be done around 12 weeks, it is the only accurate time

3. The anomoly scan - around the 20-22 week mark - where they check for things like hare lip - look at the baby's brain, etc etc.

I had the first and the third one done. I could never get the second one done because I was in IReland and the Rotunda was backed up. They gave me a date during the anomoly scan, which imo was inacccurate because I ended up with an induction [failed]and a ceasarian, so my interepretation of all this is that the date they gave me was at least two weeks too early and they induced too early. When I was considered late, I was sent in for more scans, I remember the radiologist saying t me "you really dont look pregnant enough to be late or ready to go into labour" - the baby was still very high. I wish I had listened to her and my instincts! :(

I also cant prove this - this is just my theory - but my son was born with an undecended testicle. This is far more common in premature boys than in boys born to term. I have a feeling that he could have born with it because his gestation was prematurely interrupted.

Looking back, I wish I had gotten a private scan done out of my own pocket at 12 weeks. You can do that if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I agree 23 weeks is worse, but even with 20 there's only 4 weeks in which you can do something about it and it is way more traumatic than if it was before 20 weeks imo.

If by only 4 weeks you mean travelling to the UK, there are differing citrea depending on what condition the baby has, but yes a few people have commented on how that catholic ethos hospitals leave the scan very late.

If you want to "do something about it" you should be looking at amnio, not an anomoly scan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got a dating scan at 11 weeks and an anomaly scan at I think 23 weeks in Holles St.
    I don't htink I could have waited all the time for the anomaly scan,let them know you are a bit anxious about it and they might give you a mini scan.
    If they suspected there is anything wrong you get more scans too.

• Advertisement

Ok I dont know. I had part of my pregnancy here in Ireland and part of it in the US.

What I was told in the US, is there are three scans.

1. The viability scan - to check if theres a heartbeat.

2. The dating scan - which has to be done around 12 weeks, it is the only accurate time

3. The anomoly scan - around the 20-22 week mark - where they check for things like hare lip - look at the baby's brain, etc etc.

I had the first and the third one done. I could never get the second one done because I was in IReland and the Rotunda was backed up. They gave me a date during the anomoly scan, which imo was inacccurate because I ended up with an induction [failed]and a ceasarian, so my interepretation of all this is that the date they gave me was at least two weeks too early and they induced too early. When I was considered late, I was sent in for more scans, I remember the radiologist saying t me "you really dont look pregnant enough to be late or ready to go into labour" - the baby was still very high. I wish I had listened to her and my instincts! :(

I also cant prove this - this is just my theory - but my son was born with an undecended testicle. This is far more common in premature boys than in boys born to term. I have a feeling that he could have born with it because his gestation was prematurely interrupted.

Looking back, I wish I had gotten a private scan done out of my own pocket at 12 weeks. You can do that if you want.

Metrovelvet, that sounds awful! I thought they don't induce on the basis of dates alone!

A bit too late for 12 week scan for me - I'm 19 weeks from LMP. It's just my hindsight kicking in, too late to do this now, but I'm going to be smarter next time around.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If by only 4 weeks you mean travelling to the UK, there are differing citrea depending on what condition the baby has, but yes a few people have commented on how that catholic ethos hospitals leave the scan very late.

Yes it is what I mean, just didn't want to say it in case discussion gets derailed from the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I was never given an annomaly scan, I got a scan at 10 weeks because I was getting severe crapms and then nothing again til 31 weeks.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I got a dating scan at 11 weeks and an anomaly scan at I think 23 weeks in Holles St.
    I don't htink I could have waited all the time for the anomaly scan,let them know you are a bit anxious about it and they might give you a mini scan.
    If they suspected there is anything wrong you get more scans too.

I was told that I only get one scan: between 18 and 22 weeks to determine dates. Didn't think it odd at the time but now that I'm thinking about it it seems really late

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The 24 week deadline in the UK is for electives. Depending on the condition they will terminate nearly up to birth, a friend of mine was offered one at 35 weeks.

The reason they do the anomoly scan at 20 weeks is so it will show up all anomolies, a lot of them would't be visible earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you want to "do something about it" you should be looking at amnio, not an anomoly scan.

Amnio is only for checking for downs syndrome, the anomaly scan checks for more then just that.

In other countries a scan is normal for ever pre natal visit, in some cases the family gp will do them s well, for some reason either the lack of trained staff or equipment they seem to be few and far between in maternity hospitals.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The 24 week deadline in the UK is for electives. Depending on the condition they will terminate nearly up to birth, a friend of mine was offered one at 35 weeks.

The reason they do the anomoly scan at 20 weeks is so it will show up all anomolies, a lot of them would't be visible earlier.

True,but the longer you leave it the more traumatic it is and if something can in theory be picked up before 20 weeks it would be preferable both mentally and physically (afaik late terminations are essentially induced labours there is no other way to do it at that time except mini c-section).

I'm not an expert and they probably have good reasons for doing it when they do I'm just wondering if something can be done earlier so I know for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

You could always pay to get a private scan done.

I've two more scans booked in one for 28 wks and one for 32 wks

lolli wrote: »
    You could always pay to get a private scan done.

I've two more scans booked in one for 28 wks and one for 32 wks

I'll see how I get on next week in Holles St. hopefully there won't be any need. and I'll be more assertive next time about earlier dating scan

True,but the longer you leave it the more traumatic it is and if something can in theory be picked up before 20 weeks it would be preferable both mentally and physically (afaik late terminations are essentially induced labours there is no other way to do it at that time except mini c-section).

I'm not an expert and they probably have good reasons for doing it when they do I'm just wondering if something can be done earlier so I know for the future.

Don't think so really, the 20 week anomaly scan seems to be standard in developed countries.

I'm sure you could go for a series of private scans to catch things as they become visible, to be honest I think that would be traumatic in itself considering the odds are pretty low. And really, I think a termination is going to be traumatic at any stage in a case like this.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Amnio is only for checking for downs syndrome, the anomaly scan checks for more then just that.

Amnio checks for chromosomal abnormalities, not just downs.

It's available from 16-20 weeks.

CVS checks for the same things but can be done 10-13 weeks.

The Nuchal translucency test (again for the same things as above) is done in a scan around 12 weeks.

I'll see how I get on next week in Holles St. hopefully there won't be any need. and I'll be more assertive next time about earlier dating scan

I was very assertive about the dating scan, made no difference. next time get one done in one of the private clinics. The require a GP note [another one of the reasons I couldn't get one. I didnt have a GP in Ireland]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I was under the impression that the anomoly scan was at that stage for a reason ie the optimal phase of development to be able to detect problems. Obviously it would depend on the specific problem but to have it much earlier might mean that something is missed simply because the baby isn't developed enough....
    That's all just my own assumption but since 20-22 weeks seems to be the standard internationally I would think there must be a reason...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was told that I only get one scan: between 18 and 22 weeks to determine dates. Didn't think it odd at the time but now that I'm thinking about it it seems really late

I didn't go public and I think it also depends on your consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I think it's bad the way there's no set process throughout the country for scans. Every single hospital seems to be different.
    After posting on here and other boards I thought my 20 week scan was going to be an in depth anamoly scan. I had a dating scan at 12 weeks and was given another appointment for 20 weeks. My 20 week scan lasted all of 30 seconds and it wasn't until afterwards that I found out that CUMH don't do anamoly scans as standard.

There should be a set process that every hospital follows and it shouldn't depend on where you go and how busy they are.

Wow that is amazing!^ I had two anomoly scans - one here and one in the US - the one here if I remember correctly was about 45 mins and the one in the US was 2 and half hours with 3 people looking at it for cross checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

To be honest with you, I wouldn't worry too much about it if you have a low risk pregnancy. Maybe next time you go in you could bring a list of questions so that you remember to say everything you want to say! Pregnancy really does have a way of turning your brains to mush!

Really? That makes me nervous. GP told me I was 17 weeks, I would have thought that was relatively accurate or maybe a week later, midwife downstairs told me I Was 18 weeks. I measured as 17 weeks. Then I had the scan and they told me from the scan I looked more like 16 weeks...and thats the new date they've given me. They are bringing me back for a scan at 24 weks to check it all out...wondering if dates will change again!

More than likely they will change a little again. I'm on my third due date now! It's not an exact science my baby is showing about 3 days older than he could possibly be!

I did get an in depth anomoly scan though unlike gowayouttadat.

hacked wrote: »
    To be honest with you, I wouldn't worry too much about it if you have a low risk pregnancy. Maybe next time you go in you could bring a list of questions so that you remember to say everything you want to say! Pregnancy really does have a way of turning your brains to mush!

Really? That makes me nervous. GP told me I was 17 weeks, I would have thought that was relatively accurate or maybe a week later, midwife downstairs told me I Was 18 weeks. I measured as 17 weeks. Then I had the scan and they told me from the scan I looked more like 16 weeks...and thats the new date they've given me. They are bringing me back for a scan at 24 weks to check it all out...wondering if dates will change again!

My understanding is the closer you are to 11 weeks during the scan the more accurate the date. I don't understand why really. My date was given when the child was around 22 weeks. I dont know how they judge it. The err on the side of early because overdue babies can lead to other complications.

• Advertisement

My understanding is the closer you are to 11 weeks during the scan the more accurate the date. I don't understand why really.

I read that after around 20 weeks babies go (or can go) through individual growth spurts. Kind of like it can measure 22 at 24 weeks and then compensate real quick the following week so the "age prediction" stops making much sense.
    The err on the side of early because overdue babies can lead to other complications

i dunno, accidentally making someone deliver a premature baby doesn't sound too cautious to me :(

Advertisement