Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far away is your polling center?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Please do! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

5 minute walk
    Maybe less then two minutes on the bicycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

For some weird reason yet again i have 3 votes!
    2 of them are about 20 min walk away, the other is about 10 mins walk the other direction.
    Think as usual i will choose the latter option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Just around the corner, next door to the local church. :pac:

That tends to be the case for most primary schools, it does mean that the school/polling station is actually on church grounds.

Like that is ever a neutral place, so looking forward to the next abortion referendum.

5 mins walk to the local primary school which is the polling station.

Possibly. I'm from a working class area in Finglas. They are sending me to a rugby club or something in Swords.

Where did you used to vote?
    Some times a school can refuse to be used as a polling station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yeah. I'm writing a book about it.

I'm writing the sequel.. it's titled "How Far is My Lunar Polling Station".

(It's set in the far flung future - the year 2012)

Possibly. I'm from a working class area in Finglas. They are sending me to a rugby club or something in Swords.

Better bring a translator with you so.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Where did you used to vote?
    Some times a school can refuse to be used as a polling station.

St. Finians school. A friend of mine is voting in Canice's in Finglas village on Friday so even if Finians refused it's premises to be used surely the one in the village about a 10 minute walk away would be easier for anyone from Finglas to get to. 2 people in my house wanted to vote but can't now because they won't be back this way after work. And it's too far away for them to get there before going to work. Probably too late to get anything. Gonna complain anyways. And the fúcks only sent the cards out today.

And the fúcks only sent the cards out today.

I still haven't gotten my polling card - not for the first time either - last time some half blind old diddy told me that I wasn't on the register even when I pointed out my name on the list to him.

• Advertisement

They can't double up on polling stations in the same school.
    Surprised they didn't get WEFTA or one of the scouts dens like the one on St Helena's road.

Do complain your damn right to get on to all your T.D.'s over it and the referendum commission.

Hang on I just checked my voting card are you sure you are readin the right box?
    The one that says Ionad vótaíochta:/ You vote at and not the one above which says
    Seoladh fillte:/return address: and has the office for FCC in the country all Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Thaedydal wrote: »
    That tends to be the case for most primary schools, it does mean that the school/polling station is actually on church grounds.

Like that is ever a neutral place, so looking forward to the next abortion referendum.

5 mins walk to the local primary school which is the polling station.

The primary schools in my area and in the area I teach in are not on church grounds.

/aside

I'll be driving 2 minutes up the road. Same place my parents have always voted. I always used to be jealous of my friends whose parents got to vote in the other primary school, the one I went to. I don't know why we were always in the other school. We lived closest to my primary school out of all of my friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

2 minute walk to my old primary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Around 15,000kms. I'll be sitting this one out.

Infinite...

Can't vote yes! :(

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Mine is about 10,310 miles away :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Old primary school, couple of minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Next door, so about 15 seconds!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

janeybabe wrote: »
    The primary schools in my area and in the area I teach in are not on church grounds.

I'd put a euro or two on the possibility that both have been built on land owned by the church though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Local primary school, about a ten minute walk, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Just down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'd put a euro or two on the possibility that both have been built on land owned by the church though!!

No idea. And there's a lot more than two so 'both' isn't relevant here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Around 15,000kms. I'll be sitting this one out.

What an attitude - can you not make the effort - we only get to vote on Lisbon once every 16 months.

Get your ticket home (first class and don't forget the manicure) - all expenses will be refunded by FÁS :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

In a school that is right across the road from my house. so a few seconds. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

An hour and a half on a bus, then two hours on a train and 20 minutes in a car.

I hope I make it, but I guarantee nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Changed my address and voting somewhere new so had to look it up on Google Maps earlier to make sure I was going to the right place.

Apparently 1.2km or 15mins walk (Bet it doesn't take me 15 mins to get there, there)

Probably an area where the government could makes some serious cuts without having much of an adverse affect, is by cutting down on the level of staffing involved in this.

There's some serious overstaffing and overpaying involved in doing this cushty job for a day (and completing the count) A cousin of mine has done it for a few years and while it is a long day it's extremely well paid for very simple work. Cant remember the figures but do remember if being well tasty.

The only qualification is the ability not to be bored out of your head.

In best Irish fashion she could the job soley because of who she knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

About 10 minutes drive to a primary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

A 15 minute walk but I wouldn't care if it was 150 miles, I'd still get there. Later today I'm voting and I'm voting NO! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

I still haven't gotten my polling card - not for the first time either - last time some half blind old diddy told me that I wasn't on the register even when I pointed out my name on the list to him.

You don't have to have your polling card with you to vote as long as you are registered to vote, just bring some type of photo ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

under a 5 min walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I have one about 5 minutes that i've always voted in but for some reason this year they are sending us 40 minutes away. Stupid fúcks. Loads of people in my area don't drive and i doubt they are gonna take 2 buses to the place.

This happened a lot around here - people sent to vote in a school they'd never heard of in another county. The issuing of poll cards used to be done locally but is now centralised. The system works, people :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

A 5 mins drive. I live in Wexford town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Quackles wrote: »
    This happened a lot around here - people sent to vote in a school they'd never heard of in another county. The issuing of poll cards used to be done locally but is now centralised. The system works, people :rolleyes:

Have to say I really think this is centralized to places that voted "No" the last time. Another area in Finglas that would have probably been a huge Yes vote still get to vote in their local school, yet this area have to go 40 minutes away? There's plenty schools in Finglas that they could use to have polling stations at... but they didn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

about 6-7 hours drive away.
    sadly, i wont be voting today.

Advertisement