Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Wolfsburg CL Match Thread

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ah,they keep on pronouncing Wolfsburg with the English w sound rather than the German w,which is akin to an English v.It's horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

We need a RTE appreciation thread on here TBFH. Some of the quotes are just gold! :)
    Eamo does have his moments alright. Imagine him on sky!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Des wrote: »
    United will struggle on that fake pitch in Moscow, proper footballing sides always do.

Fergie will kick up about it if they do...

also explains why Bordeaux haven't won a league yet as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United will struggle on that fake pitch in Moscow, proper footballing sides always do.

Lucky every player on United except Rooney and Scholes are useless or else it'd be a lot harder for them

Liam O wrote: »
    knew someone would get angry at that, it was a joke. They were saying that the United defense isn't what it used to be on RTÉ so my comment was a sensationalist remark hoping people would be watching it...

Good cover up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good cover up :D

I was a patsy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Pretty happy with that.

After a sluggish start we looked good once we got going. Decent movement and a few good performances. Ando has reacted well since whatever happened very early in the season. 6 points from 6.

Oh, and just so Dave thanks my post ill say the name Berbatov. :D

You earned it bud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

berbatov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Headshot wrote: »
    berbatov

lol, thanks whore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Lucky every player on United except Rooney and Scholes are useless or else it'd be a lot harder for them

Amazing how well they seem to do then with so many "useless" players.

Of all the stupid things I have read about Man Utd, that ranks in the top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

that a "joke" too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Amazing how well they seem to do then with so many "useless" players.

Of all the stupid things I have read about Man Utd, that ranks in the top 10.
    United players have poopy faces and can't play football. I win?

CHD wrote: »
    United players have poopy faces and can't play football. I win?

You get the bronze medal. I say bronze, but I mean a slightly tarnished, cheap alloy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Iago wrote: »
    also explains why Bordeaux haven't won a league yet as well ;)

Bordeaux are the current champions

Oh, you meant Boardeaux. ;)

ryan Giggs scored his 150th goal today

what a ****ing legend

the man is an ambassador for the game and a true professional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Jimmy McGee is a hero too. in reference to Anelka's goal he says 'when he's on song, he's an album'

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Jimmy McGee is a hero too. in reference to Anelka's goal he says 'when he's on song, he's an album'

Full of so much win that comment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Heard that too, I was like WTF??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

in the chelsea highlights jimmy magee just said lampard was looking for his 57th CL goal when he missed a chance

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    in the chelsea highlights jimmy magee just said lampard was looking for his 57th CL goal when he missed a chance

Maybe he was... but not in THIS game! ;)

Anyhow... Chelsea, me holio.. back to the Reds please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does Owen have a picture of Fergie bunging a trainer some dodgy cash at Chester races or something? How could he start a player he knew to be unfit when he has 30 million pounds of healthy Berbatov on the bench?

mike65 wrote: »
    Does Owen have a picture of Fergie bunging a trainer some dodgy cash at Chester races or something? How could he start a player he knew to be unfit when he has 30 million pounds of healthy Berbatov on the bench?

I think it's called team rotation or sommat like that.

Sounds better than "zonal marking" which Giles once described as "just not marking". Now THAT was funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Best trolls ever, and the beauty is the mods can't ban them from here :D
    lol, so true this. You have to love RTE punditry for the big games. Most entertaining pundits by a mile. I've seen more arguments on the RTE panel in just the last year then i've seen in all other punditry in all other sports in my whole life. Legends the lot of them.

On the game tonight: It was a sloppy lazy performance against a limited side imo. But these early CL games are more or less meaningless so it doesn't really concern me.

Ryan Giggs scored his 150th Manchester United goal last night as they came from behind to beat Wolfsburg.

United were trailing to the Bundesliga champions when Giggs struck with a deflected free-kick to equalise at Old Trafford.

And then Michael Carrick dropped a timely reminder to Sir Alex Ferguson when he cracked home the winner 12 minutes from time to make it eight straight victories for the Reds.

Giggs' strike was yet another landmark for the Reds skipper in his record-breaking United career on his 814th appearance for the club.

Ferguson said: "Ryan is unbelievable. All the superlatives and praise he's had over the years, I don't know what to add, he's been absolutely marvellous.

"Their goal was a surprise, but that's football. I thought it was just a matter of time before we would score. We got a bit fortuitous with the deflection, but the performance deserved it and I thought our performance was very good.

"One thing this team has they never give in, they always play on. No matter what the score is, they never stop playing and that gets its rewards.

United were grateful for Giggs' piece of inspiration on a difficult night for them against the German Champions League debutants.

They went behind on 56 minutes when Bosnian hitman Edin Dzeko headed home, despite a suspicion of offside.

Wolfsburg briefly threatened to become the first German side to win here since Bayern Munich in the 2001 semi-finals before Giggs netted three minutes later.

Carrick's winner strengthens United's grip on top spot in Group B and they will take a three-point lead to face CSKA Moscow in Russia in three weeks' time.

The night was a personal disappointment for Michael Owen after his big chance to impress the watching Fabio Capello was cut short after just 20 minutes.

Owen felt a recurrence of the groin injury, which kept him out of training on Tuesday, and was forced to come off.

Ferguson added: "With Michael's groin it's difficult to say, maybe two or three weeks. His fitness levels are very good, so that's not an issue. He shouldn't be too long."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Giles has lost the plot tonight. He said something like Berbatov was anonymous or non-existent or something? Uh didn't he transform the attack when he came on?

Good result tonight although the performance wasn't great. John O'Shea I thought had a very good game. Rooney was f*cking woeful and looked like he couldn't be arsed being there. Giggs was on song once again. Pleased to see Carrick get the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

How about the "glory glory Man United" at the end tonight. THE most cringeworthy song to be played over a mic in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

fkt wrote: »
    How about the "glory glory Man United" at the end tonight.
    Isn't it played every time United play at home?

Shít song alright.

How about the "glory glory Man United" at the end tonight. THE most cringeworthy song to be played over a mic in football.

you must've not heard Phil Brown...

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    you must've not heard Phil Brown...

I'd have that cúnt sing at my birthday any day. Just so I could throw a chair at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Isn't it played every time United play at home?

Shít song alright.

Couldn't tell you.

I forgot about "United Road" actually. Was a great laugh before the 4-1 at OT last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Tonights performance was the usual early champions league performance really, frustrating to watch at times but in the end we got the job done and thats the important thing

anyone know why the PIG was playing tonight and not Foster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Couldn't tell you.

I forgot about "United Road" actually. Was a great laugh before the 4-1 at OT last season.

whfnsl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Giles has lost the plot tonight. He said something like Berbatov was anonymous or non-existent or something? Uh didn't he transform the attack when he came on?.

yeah i heard him say that and was thinking "what f*cking game was he watching"

berba was another class today!

giles sticks his boot in once and then his opinion will never change, regardless of what happens on the pitch.....he said it 4 years ago and its still correct period.....feckit, its entertaining! :p

kryogen wrote: »

anyone know why the PIG was playing tonight and not Foster?

Why bother even having a squad? Surely 11 players are enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why bother even having a squad? Surely 11 players are enough?

i dont think you could get by with just 11 players do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

hahah I'd normally agree with you, but it was the perfect song after the City game.

Actually United Road is the worst song by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RasTa wrote: »
    hahah I'd normally agree with you, but it was the perfect song after the City game.

Actually United Road is the worst song by a long shot.

The fans hate it, the players hate it, the playing staff hate it - but the guy who owns the CD played likes it so it is staying.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Berbatov was so lazy last night when Giggs scored the winner he stood still expecting Giggs to come to him to celebrate...just for a second or two, but priceless all the same...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Giggs scored the winner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

mike65 wrote: »

It's called squad rotation. If you can't do it properly, you will never win more than one trophy a year, indeed you'll struggle to win one.

And yesterdays game was less important than the Sunderland game this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Giggs scored the winner?

i thought it was carrick

PHB wrote: »
    It's called squad rotation. If you can't do it properly, you will never win more than one trophy a year, indeed you'll struggle to win one.

If Owen sat out training with a groin injury he should not have been on the pitch last night. With his injury record we shouldn't be taking risks like that. If he is going to be any use to us, we need to manage him properly.

alibabba wrote: »
    i thought it was carrick

You didn't really need to say it, I just enjoy picking out peoples mistakes. I'm on the mobile site so I couldn't put a confused smilie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

You didn't really need to say it, I just enjoy picking out peoples mistakes. I'm on the mobile site so I couldn't put a confused smilie.

I didnt need to say it alright, but like you, i liked highlighting it too

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If Owen sat out training with a groin injury he should not have been on the pitch last night. With his injury record we shouldn't be taking risks like that. If he is going to be any use to us, we need to manage him properly.

I'm sure the medical staff gave him the all clear.

These things happen, the way he came off it certainly didn't look too severe.

He wouldn't have started the Sunderland match anyways. Couple of weeks off for the international friendly, tis no big deal.

Advertisement