Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Brands No Longer With Us

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

cavan cola? anyone? is it still being made? it was like liquid heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Steiger Lager?

Savage Smyth lemonade?

I think these were both Irish and don't see either one now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Sam Spudz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Cahills bread and Mayco footballs (Ballina)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Up Tipp

Dwans made in Thurles, their red lemonade special ( I remember asking for Vodka & red, bag of Taytos and twenty Major just off the boat, they thought I was speaking Irish !)....Dwans had license for RC Cola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Lt. Palumbo

Crazy Prices!!!

For some reason I was obsessed with that place as a kid.

Vague memories now of cartoon characters on chalk boards.

I can't hear "Tiger Feet" without thinking of that place.

I was also gonna mention Henri Hippo (not a brand but in the same vein) but a quick search has revealed that he's back!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

vektarman wrote: »
    Swastika laundry. If we include bakeries I'm thinking of Kennedys and Butterkrust. Great thread BTW.

KingBurger

Burgerland.

Anybody remember Kiskadee rum????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    Anybody remember Kiskadee rum????

Lovely stuff, drank it by the gallon

21/25

Smithwicks Barley Wine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Smithwicks Barley Wine

Jaysus I remember that stuff too. :eek:

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

cavan cola? anyone? is it still being made? it was like liquid heaven.

Sure it has its own Wikipedia page and everything!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavan_Cola

And a Bebo page for people with little to do!

http://www.bebo.com/cavan-cola-forever

Oh and this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7118861.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

KingBurger

Burgerland.

metroburger on hawkins street

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

Goodness I can remember Kiskadee. Its marketing launch was hugely expensive and despite the wonderful TV ads and excellent creative graphics it just bombed out. I guess the drinking public either weren't ready for it or simply didn't like. That is the danger with so many created brands that they fall victim to fashion - it was simply a 'Yesterday's Product.'

Come to that if you remember Kiskadee the chances are that you will laso remember Guinness Light that suffered the same fate.

The popularity of the clarion call to reinstate Cavan Cola has been an amazing accomplishment. Actually I wish a lot more activism had been used on occasion to support other local brands that have been forced to bite the dust. In many cases output simply hasn't been economic to sustain them, so preoccupied have we become with consuming international brands. Goodness we even wear their names on the outside of our clothing to provide them with free advertising! Are we crazy or what?

Goodness I can remember Kiskadee. Its marketing launch was hugely expensive and despite the wonderful TV ads and excellent creative graphics it just bombed out. I guess the drinking public either weren't ready for it or simply didn't like. That is the danger with so many created brands that they fall victim to fashion - it was simply a 'Yesterday's Product.'

Come to that if you remember Kiskadee the chances are that you will laso remember Guinness Light that suffered the same fate.

Yeah, it was putrid tack, what about BREO, another huge cock-up......

I used to like Savage Smith American Cream Soda and Thwaites brown lemonade but the latter disappeared in the 50s, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Up Tipp

Anyone remember Beanos (like smarties} arrowroot biscuits, toytown biscuits and buying cigarettes by the ones and twos, mid 70s and they never asked for ID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

metroburger on hawkins street

Yes, the Trippe-Quarter pounder was a bit on the large side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mitcher

Is Taylor Keiths red lemonade still around, i used to love that with a Flash Bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

mitcher wrote: »
    Is Taylor Keiths red lemonade still around, i used to love that with a Flash Bar

The TK Red lemonade is still around,as is Cream soda!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

Frankly I was thinking only of locally grown brands that were designed and manufactured in Ireland. Think of names like Urney, Cleeves, Findlaters, Foxford Rugs, Blarney Yarns, Crannock Furniture, Rosses Tonic Water etc and you will seek what I am driving at

Here's one I wouldn't mind getting my teeth into! Remember Fry's Punch bar?

shop_punch.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ireland itself since 2nd October 2009 since it was sold out :mad:

B&I bought out by Irish Shipping.

Tonor Motorcycle Jackets in the 80ies with two distinctive stripes down the arms. Made to fit by Toner himself in Dublin. Would take several weeks but worth it.

Eircell, bought out by Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Yeah, it was putrid tack, what about BREO, another huge cock-up......

In a similar vein, the four master beers that were to be produced by Guinness, I don´t think they bothered with the fourth one, I only remember Toucan, North Star. and brew59 (I think). Anyone know what happened there? or am I wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

Leadmore Ice Cream.Not sure if it is still there but I remember passing it near Kilrush years ago on our way to Kilkee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shan75 wrote: »
    Leadmore Ice Cream.Not sure if it is still there but I remember passing it near Kilrush years ago on our way to Kilkee.

I've seen a Leadmore lorry in the past two months, anyway. A quick google finds no website for them, and an EU ruling over access to freezer cabinets (yeah, weird) from 1997 saying they'd hit the wall in '94 but were bought out.

Ranks Flour gone quite a while now.

Thompson Motor Company in Wexford which manufactured the Sports car TMC Costin.

Production at Valley ceased around 1998 (their factory was in Thurles) But there was an attempt to restart production around 2000/2001, it never happened and I worked on dismantling the plant shortly after.

speak of thurles, the dwans brand name seems to be gone. didnt they used have a brand of soft drinks? tk is another name i dont see much of?

• Advertisement

Is Musgrave's Tea still around. Many years ago they used to promote the tea, (which broadly competed with Lyons Mauve & Green Label) with on pack promotions for their own brand of clear sweets that appeared to be close copies of 'Spangles.' Any memories anyone?

Advertisement