Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LYIT Vs Biddys!

Options
  • 30-09-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I heard a second hand story, about some LYIT students running amok in Biddy O'Barnes pub on Monday. Something to do with a freshers Mystery Tour to Sligo. Anyone here know the real story?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

I heard they ran out and stopped a few northern registered cars and mooned at them.

That may or may not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Probably should be in the LYIT section..

What I heard was they were on the way to Sligo, bus broke down & they had to stop at Biddys and a few of the students wrecked the inside of the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Harps wrote: »
    Probably should be in the LYIT section..

What I heard was they were on the way to Sligo, bus broke down & they had to stop at Biddys and a few of the students wrecked the inside of the pub

Something like that. <SNIP>
    Mad eejit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Crotchety, Im not happy with your input. You do realise that you are already skating on thin ice. You are still on parole or had you forgotten about that. Be a bit more mature and constructive with your posts please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I dont think that bus broke down, but i did hear it was in a terrible state by the time they arrived at biddies.
    I hope Boyce's pursue the students union for the damage, and not the college itself.

From speaking to a few of the licenses in Letterkenny, there seams to be "rougher" element in the college this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I heard off someone who was there about what happened.
    Some of the students (mainly the one's sitting at the back) were goin mad, they were hurling abuse at the driver of the bus, calling his a baldy **** and an awl *******. Eventually he stopped the bus and went crazy at the people in the back.
    Apparently the bus driver only stopped at biddys to let a few people go to the toilet (which took over an hour), they also stole ornaments etc from the bar aswell as destroying the place.
    When they eventually did get back on the bus they started with the abuse to the driver again and after a little while the driver decided he'd had enough and turned the bus around.
    I heard it was the 1st yr students who were behind all of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Arion24

Is rag week that good in Sligo that people willingly go there?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

Senna wrote:
    From speaking to a few of the licenses in Letterkenny, there seams to be "rougher" element in the college this year.

a local taxi man told me the students were "mad this year"
    would probably explain the little riot outside a nightclub few weeks ago...these are the people that will run the country in future? sure hope not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Arion24

weiss wrote: »
    these are the people that will run the country in future? sure hope not..
    Terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Originally Posted by weiss:
    these are the people that will run the country in future? sure hope not..

So in years to come the people that will lead us will have no sense, flitter away money, fight amongst themselves, find safety in numbers, go on trips just to amuse themselves and be congratulated when they achieve their aims? So... What's new there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

irish1967 wrote: »
    So in years to come the people that will lead us will have no sense, flitter away money, fight amongst themselves, find safety in numbers, go on trips just to amuse themselves and be congratulated when they achieve their aims? So... What's new there?

I have images of Brian Cowen,Brian Lenihan and Mary Coughlan drunk and wrecking Biddys together and then verbally abusing their Helicopter Pilot!!

Yeah Mary shouting "come on love. Show us your cockpit" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

irish1967 wrote: »
    Yeah Mary shouting "come on love. Show us your cockpit" ;)

Surely she would be the one with the "cockpit" going by my imagination anyway!

Think about it!

Would rather not. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Twas in Tonic lounge that night, the rag-a-bonds from the mystery tour turned up there....
    Heard from someone on the bus that they stopped, then some fella's wreaked the place.

In fairness, they were hammered by the time they got back to letterkenny so i would of hated to see them on the bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

if it was Boyce's coach last week, I was stuck behind it coming into Ballybofey where it had pulled in to let a few guys on the bus out to 'relieve themselves'... up against the wall of McBrides Fireplaces shop opposite the petrol pumps, all this with a string of cars behind me and people walking on the street... I couldnt believe what I was looking at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

I don't know anything about the facts of this particular story but if it's true that the driver was abused (verbally or otherwise) I think he should have immediately stopped the bus and refused to go any further until the troublemakers got off/were put off. Nobody should have to endure that kind of thing as part of their day's work.
    And if it were me driving, I would have stopped MILES from anywhere, least of all a pub :p A long walk might have sobered them up.

Yeah alot of people in college just because they cant get a job straight after school, so they haven't the same interest in an education, as its not their first choice. Its a sad sign of the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

would probably explain the little riot outside a nightclub few weeks ago...these are the people that will run the country in future? sure hope not..

haha it was far from ariot; no harm caused, people just a little too jolly and chanting and singing - just because the guards were there, doesnt mean that there was trouble! they didnt know which way to look, haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

.... just because the guards were there, doesnt mean that there was trouble! ....

Hmmm, maybe people have different definitions of "trouble"?

• Advertisement

haha it was far from ariot; no harm caused, people just a little too jolly and chanting and singing - just because the guards were there, doesnt mean that there was trouble! they didnt know which way to look, haha

Young fella from Convoy got punched to the ground and got a "good few" kicks to the head.
    I heard other stories but that story i got first hand.

did you read my post mate? It looked like a proper crowd of knackers from where I saw it...and in full view in the broad light of day. What impression does this leave on the visitors to Donegal who happened to passing through town? You can be damn sure that none of the crowd I saw were from Donegal because no one I know here would carry on like this, you'll probably end up applying for the Gardai in a couple of years because no one elase will have you.. that is if yous dont end up getting hung drawn and quartered in Letterkenny some night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Broad light of day? It was half bloody 3 in the morning, we must be mixed up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

well, i heard there were a few arrests.
    some people blamed an alcohol promotion.
    You can be damn sure that none of the crowd I saw were from Donegal because no one I know here would carry on like this..

i think alot of people who cause trouble in letterkenny are not even from letterkenny to start with.

I meant that no one ever does stuff like this on their own doorstep... the Letterkenny crowd had a very bad name years ago when they went away on the MAD weekends... so Im sure the same applies to crowds from different parts of the country when they come to Letterkenny.....

I must be talking about a different crowd, I hadnt realised it was 3am... maybe the crowd I saw were from the North :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Was in the vicinity of the so called 'riot'. Students were singing on the street, yes a little late at night to be so, but would be considered great after a festival event or a concert.

If anything, the gardai were a little taken aback and disapproved. Also they disapproved of people standing on the roadway, fair enough, but not uncommon nor truely riotious behaviour.

It is well known that the nightclub in question take all bottles from people leaving at the top of their stairs, before they even get to the foyer, never mind getting as far as the street.

I have heard that a bottle, one bottle, was thrown from the balcony of a nearby apartment onto the street. This bottle, may have come from any off license or even a supermarket in strabane, and the perportrators should be followed and caught. Hardly a 'riot' but if you take into consideration the context of license renewals, you will realise why this is being played up, not only in the media but perhaps here too.

I know one of the defunct PD party are in government, but surely some students singing on the street is not that illegal, were it a festival we'd be talking about the great atmosphere... oh forgot, its time to get public disorder on the agenda before the license renewals, conviently in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Eh?
    I thought this thread was about what happened in Biddys?

Yeah. I think this thread is taking a Magical Mystery Tour of its own. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Off topic again but I agree with donegalman, was also there that night and was confused the next day to hear there was a riot..there were a group of people walking down the road singing football songs and little more than that out of the ordinary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Sorry just saw this thread im not a donegal girl but yeah that behaviour is the stay in limerick the last 2 years ive been in college.The guards might tell students get off the road and calm down,stop singing etc and then their in the wrong,Wjat i hate is all the lads acting like british football hooligans very sad

Advertisement