Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap reliable second Car 1.0 - 1.3

• 30-09-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

The wife is looking for a car for work. It would only be doing 10 to 20 miles a week and the odd trip down the country. the main thing is that it needs to start every time as she works shift and it could be very early or late. We've only got about 2K to spend. She really likes the Polo (as she learned to drive in it) but I went through a few older posts and it seems to get really bad reveiws

Any other suggestions?

(I've suggested Fiesta and Corsa and she won't hear of It !)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I could suggest a clio. Great comfy cars and run well and cheap. 00 model was nice. having driven them before and been a passenger in them I know what they're like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

vbold wrote: »
    (I've suggested Fiesta and Corsa and she won't hear of It !)

Is there some reason why not, so we can avoid suggestions she'll hate?

I would be looking for a 1.25 Fiesta myself for this job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

we started with a polo, damn thing didnt want to break down.
    I wanted an upgrade but since the car kept driving there was no need.
    No comforts, just drives but then again no electronic gadgets mean less worry it all breaks down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Clio is a decent car for a long spin. Safe, reliable and can be had cheap. There's loads of them about so be picky and you'll be grand.

But best would be a 1.25 Fiesta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Nissan Micra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Corrolla FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vbold

Zube wrote: »
    Is there some reason why not, so we can avoid suggestions she'll hate?

she just doesn't like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Murphy09

pug 206?

use to have 1 for while was ok for the trips around town and that had no problem with it. looks ok too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Polos are ok. My wife has a fiesta and really they are more than reliable. Never failed to start since it was bought except when the battery went. Try convincing her!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Vw polo, or try a 1.4 diesel Lupo with about 75mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Corolla, boringly reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Clio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

trad wrote: »
    Corolla, boringly reliable.

You get excited about repair bills.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You get excited about repair bills.?

What bills. Her indoors has the car 5 years, put up 50k on it. Was 7 years old when she got it. Needed a clutch and tyres when she bought it.

Since that 2 tyres, 2 front struts and one set of front brake pads plus a service every 6 months. Oh and one brake light bulb. In 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ColmColm

I am also in the market for a cheap runaround car. For around the 2k mark what would be your opinion on a:

Fiat Punto eg http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Punto/1.2LX/200911192098618/advert?channel=CARS

Opel Corsa eg
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Corsa/1.0-XE-S/200835189794216/advert?channel=CARS

Ford Ka eg
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/KA/200937195191275/advert?channel=CARS

Puntos seem good value but am I letting myself in for a lot of grief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

vbold wrote: »
    The wife is looking for a car for work. It would only be doing 10 to 20 miles a week and the odd trip down the country. the main thing is that it needs to start every time as she works shift and it could be very early or late. We've only got about 2K to spend. She really likes the Polo
    VW Polo is a good choice, but have a look at a Toyota Starlet - at least as good and boringly reliable.

Advertisement