Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When should i do the Irish for teaching...

• 30-09-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hey guys.sorry if this was posted here before but i spent a while now going through different posts and still have found my questions unanswered.

i'll make it fairly simple.Im working in a full time job with no real future prospects.I want to do Primary school teaching.Im currently attending classes to resit the LC Hons Irish in June 2010.I can then apply as a mature student in Sept 2011(im too young to apply in Sept 2010).

I have also the opition of starting in the UK in Sept 2010 and studying over there.

Im just wondering will I have to do Irish test(Scg,i tink its called) when I come back to teach in Ireland or will I have any advantage by having the LC Hons Irish done?

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

As far as I know, you'll still have to do an exam in Irish to teach here if you qualify abroad. Whether you do or not, you should continue with your leaving cert classes. If you didn't get honours Irish in the leaving cert the first time around, you don't have a high enough standard to teach it. Far too many primary teachers have Irish at a level far below what it should be to do their job properly and I see this all the time when I'm teaching students coming into second level.

Aim high. Teach all areas to the best of your ability, not to the minimum standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

what difficulty level is the irish test you have to take if you qualify as a Primary School teacher abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

what difficulty level is the irish test you have to take if you qualify as a Primary School teacher abroad
    i was chatting a Primary Scholl Teacher at the weekend who qualified in UK.She said when she came back she had to do a test and a 3 week course in the Gaeltacht.She said it wasnt that hard and that you can do it while you teach here.
    Someone correct me if im wrong but she maintains you have 5 years from the date you comeback to do this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Yes once you have qualified abroad, you have 5 years to do the SCG. Its a pretty tough exam, lots of reading, poetry, grammar,3 weeks in the gaeltacht, even an inspection or 2 on your Gaeilge lessons. But is all very manageable and if you've done Irish for the Leaving Cert you;ll be grand with a little bit of work.

You must complete this Irish exam, before you can do your probabationary year, otherwise known as your DIP or Diploma Year. During this year, your notes and class will be inspected a few time throughout the year, again all very manageable.

Remember you will be working and earning money during your SCG and your Dip, so that will be one less worry.

BEst of Luck,
    It will be worth all the hard slog!
    Keep us posted

Advertisement