Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wont use her kennel

Options
  • 30-09-2009 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Morning all

I recently got a new dog from animal welfare. she is a 5 month old huskie cross. She's in great health and full of energy thank god. I bought a new kennel for her and filled it with blankets and a pillow. But she refuses to use it she will take the blanket and pillow out and sleep on them on the ground.....any suggestions how i might train her to use it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Is the kennel in a shed or is it out in the open?

She might find it too warm inside it and just prefer sleeping out in the open.

Maybe if it is raining she will go into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Click her.... click here

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

The same thing happened to my sister with her labrador. Eventually he started to use it and now loves it! There is no health problem with the dog taking the pillows out on the ground and sleeping on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

kildara wrote: »
    Is the kennel in a shed or is it out in the open?

She might find it too warm inside it and just prefer sleeping out in the open.

Maybe if it is raining she will go into it?

nope its an outside kennel....it has been warm the past few nights i may just wait and see how she gets on....
    The same thing happened to my sister with her labrador. Eventually he started to use it and now loves it! There is no health problem with the dog taking the pillows out on the ground and sleeping on them.

ive not issues with her taking the stuff out either just prefer her be warm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

nope its an outside kennel....it has been warm the past few nights i may just wait and see how she gets on....
    Could simply be that its too warm for her at the moment, or she just prefers sleeping with no roof over her head. Right now I wouldn't worry about it. Once she's not distressed by it and is sleeping ok wherever she is then she should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

She is in no way distressed and sleeps quite happily :P she was found on the streets and was outside at the animal welfare so maybe it might just take her some time....im just a cautious new owner :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Being part husky maybe she's missing the snow and ice,? hehehe So long as she's happy,as has been said. Good luck with her settling in,hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

you could try to condition her to like being in there by feeding all meals in the kennel.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

I have a lab
    Hes 2 years old now and cant get him in a kennel at nighttime
    If i leave him outside when it gets dark he starts howling and barking for the whole night
    No way we get him in it
    Had lots of problems with neightbours
    Finally we let him inside at nights

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

I have a dog who does a lot of the same thing.

She will sleep in her kennel when she is locked into her run for the evening, but will more often than not prefer to sleep on the step at the french doors at the back of the kitchen.

She drags her blanket out of her kennel in the run and will sleep on it outside, or will curl up on the step by the door and sleep there if she is left out in the garden.

Nothing to worry about, and rest assured.. if the dog is cold, they will eventually end up in the kennel as long as you keep it nice and snug!

• Advertisement
Advertisement