Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eager to do lecturing as a career, but what next?

Options
  • 30-09-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

I have a Honours degree and honours masters (taught) in business (both 2.2). I have over a year's experience in a private college lecturing business and its something I believe Im quite good at and would enjoy doing as a career. I want to pursue lecturing as a career and have just gotten my hours for the coming academic year from the private college, however, I want to ultimately move to a more "established" college/uni.

I'd gladly do a phd, even applied for 1-2 scholarships. I feel i need to develop my research skills. Failing a phd, is it possible for someone to independently write academic articles and get them published (if possible, of course) as i reckon that may show some evidence of academic potential. Anyone know of a good database of journals that are actively looking for material?

Are any of you currenly lecturing? how did you combat the research requirement? Basically, I want to be a lecturer, but cant self fund a phd, i have a masters, but its taught, so my potential for research is poor at the moment. I could self-fund a mphil/m-litt for a year but I'm unsure of the ultimate benefit of that avenue. any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I'm not entirely sure about the business area of academia, but it's possible to be a lecturer without a PhD alright. It's just not all that common. Off the top of my head I can think of two that I knew without PhDs who taught, but one of them had a fairly impressive reputation in his field, and the other is very actively involved in research in the area he taught in.

Without a PhD you'd want to "get in" with a university in some research shape or form. How to get to that stage? I'm not entirely sure for business. I think getting published is a start, and being actively involved in your research area as well as involved in something a University is researching. You'd need good contacts.

tbh, I think the "easiest" way in is a PhD. Still not easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

The one thing I'll say, and it's not meant in mean way, is that you're not likely to get a scholarship with a 2.2. It's a good degree, but usually the people who get them are 1.1, and even then it's not guaranteed. There's an embargo on any recruitment in public third level colleges, but I'd look out for tutoring opportunities when and if they come along.

Apart from that, having a PhD, being involved in your field through papers published and speaking at conferences, will give you a fighting chance in finding a lecturing job. It's rare that a MA student lectures on a full-time basis, and they are usually taken on part-time terms in order to cover sabbatical leave.

Hope that's of any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've a post over in the Teaching/Lecturing forum titled "How to become a lecturer". Briefly, for an Institute of Technology, you don't need a PhD, for a university, you generally do (though not always).

I lectured in ITs in Ireland, and I am now lecturing at a Polytechnic here in Bahrain, and I don't have a PhD (I have an MSc.). So it can be done.

Just remember that there is pretty much not a hope in hell of you getting a lecturing position these days (hence why I am here).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I suspect the public service recruitment ban is starting to bit lecturing appointments? I'd say unless it's a contracted "fill-in" for maternity leave, or else a teaching replacement position created on foot of a grant given to another academic your chances are slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

What about lecturing in VEC's??? I know there are no jobs out there but hypothetically speaking. I have a 1:1 BA in Journalism and industry experience and have been thinking about lecturing. Am I way off qualification wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

With a 2.2 degree and masters you won't get lecturing work at any of the universities in Ireland.
    I'm even surprised you got a teaching position at a private college - I wouldn't be happy paying for a degree in a college where my lecturer barely passed examinations in the subject he was teaching - would you?
    Sorry if I seem harsh but you must remember there are currently plenty of people with 1.1 masters, PhD's etc looking for work.
    My advice if you want go into lecturing would be to do another masters and make sure you get a 1.1 or high 2.1 - you should then be able to get a scholarship somewhere for a PhD. It'll take you a while granted but you won't get funding anywhere for a PhD with a 2.2
    Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

Dont want to dash your hopes, but just to give you an idea of the kind of person you will be up against when applying for the few lecturing jobs out there....

I am in the final year of my phd at the minute, and am on a one semester lecturing contract at the same time. I have a couple of years of industrial experience, have a professional certificate in higher level teaching and learning, along with a 2.1 MSc, and 1.1 BSc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

actually, I don't think the grade you get for your degree is all _that_ important. If you produce quality research during your PhD, and get senior people to know you, like you and work with you, then you should be allright.

I was under impression that you have to have a PhD to lecture. The people who don't are generally either quite old, or are very high level practicing professionals. Or poets/writers.

Advertisement