Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAY DARCYS GAFFE

• 30-09-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Anyone witness Darcys completely inappropriate questioning of Natascha McElhone on today’s show?
    It was incredibly tactless, and was the most cringe-worthy radio I’ve ever listened to!
    Gobsh1te!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

leddpipe wrote: »
    Anyone witness Darcys completely inappropriate questioning of Natascha McElhone on today’s show?
    It was incredibly tactless, and was the most cringe-worthy radio I’ve ever listened to!
    Gobsh1te!

nope ... tell us more ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Caught the end of it coming out of the gym. He was apoligizing and hoped that he hadnt upset her? I gathered they had been discussing her husband?

What did I miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gobsh1te!

Ya tease.....
    what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Well, the interview was going swimmingly with both parties evidently comfortable and good humored.
    Now, I wasn’t aware of this until it was mentioned, but McElhones husband was found dead last year having suffered a massive heart attack.
    Naturally, she was devastated.
    The couple had known each other since their teenage years.
    So, the interview as I said was tipping along nicely, McElhone bubbly and warm, when Darcy comes out with the following, or something fairly similar:
    “Now, I know you said you don’t want to talk about, but your husband of course died last year……silence…..you where obviously very much in love……silence……you where pregnant at the time …… how do you look at the child every day……..silence….I just couldn’t do it……..silence………you wrote a letter in the times some while ago…………..silence……it actually brought a tear to my eye reading it this morning”
    -followed by the biggest silence yet, of about 10 seconds.
    Darcy interrupts the silence and stutters and mumbles in an attempt to recover.
    A the end of the interview he says “I didn’t mean to upset or embarrass you”!

That’s what happened to the best of my recollection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can hear him in my head saying all that with that childs voice of his.

Dope.

• Advertisement

Once a muppet, always a muppet (ie #3 of the Zig,Zag & Zog group)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I heard it.

I must admit.......I cringed bad.

Don't take this as verbatim, but something like:

D'Arcy: "Now I know you didn't want to talk about your dead husband, but......." and Ray goes on to mention several things about him, and then asks her questions to boot.

Her response: "........................................".

Dead air.

When he realised what was happening, he tried getting out graciously......by still talking about him!!!

It was dangerous to be listening to it while on a motorway let me tell you, as I nearly crashed from cringing so much.

To be fair they did pick up the positive tone of the interview again, but I'd put this entirely down to the fact that the woman seems to be an incredibly nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

That guy is so far up his own h*ole..... He's the oldest 40 year old man I have ever come across.....God he had a cold on the radio there 2 weeks ago and you swear he was dieing of ebola....all he wanted was sympathy!

What an idiot....the show went down hill years ago, all he does is agree with the missus and read out texts from muck savages that think they are funny.

Fizman wrote: »
    To be fair they did pick up the positive tone of the interview again, but I'd put this entirely down to the fact that the woman seems to be an incredibly nice person.

Indeed, once the charity was brought back up she came around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

Gobsh1te!

Yes I witnesssed it.

NedTermo wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Whats confusing about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

god, and i thought twas just myself that thought the show had turned to mush..and i used to be a huge RAY fan...sorry ray, not anymore...he now has the "Gerry Ryan factor"..i.e change channel if i hear his voice or dont put it on at all !

Yes I witnesssed it.

ok ssssammy the ssssnake!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Yes I witnesssed it.

wit·ness (wtns)
    n.
    a. One who can give a firsthand account of something seen, heard, or experienced

magconn wrote: »
    god, and i thought twas just myself that thought the show had turned to mush..and i used to be a huge RAY fan...sorry ray, not anymore...he now has the "Gerry Ryan factor"..i.e change channel if i hear his voice or dont put it on at all !

very much agreed!

ok ssssammy the ssssnake!

sorry really sorry.. I'm a bit paranoid after living my life in the witness protection programme for five years

sorry really sorry.. I'm a bit paranoid after living my life in the witness protection programme for five years

Its ok Mr. Darcy!!

Its ok Mr. Darcy!!

You got me!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hasKmDr1yrA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

2 starts to a sentence that never end well:

"I know you don't want to talk about it but...."
    "I know it's none of my business but..."

Jump in immediately, and stop them! no matter what! sound engineer should have dropped the volume like a hot snot. "sorry Ray, technical difficulties caused by high idiot factor"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 lilywhites1982

Maybe it's just me, but if she had written an article about her husband's passing in the Daily Mail I don't think it was a massive presumption for Ray to think that she wouldn't mind talking about it on radio.

Me thinks you're wrong about this one peeps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I don't like D'arcy but I agree with the previous poster. She wrote an article about it, hence it was fair game. If she had responded to him instead of staying quite then it wouldn't seem so cringe worthy. I don't see that Ray did anything wrong here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Maybe it's just me, but if she had written an article about her husband's passing in the Daily Mail I don't think it was a massive presumption for Ray to think that she wouldn't mind talking about it on radio.

Seems like she had made it clear that she didn't want to talk about it but D'arcy ploughed on regardless no doubt trying for some mawkish sentimentality inducing a flood of "i'm in tears here Ray" and "tears flooding my cheeks as I sit here with my 3 year old in the kitchen" texts from the listeners who are as bad as him.

T'wasn't pretty radio. Fair play to her for not saying a word in response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fredzeppelin

I heard it. The fact that he started the sentence with 'i know you said you don't want to talk about it' suggested to me that he asked her off air what she was comfortable talking about and she said not to mention the husband. If that was the case he was hugely out of line.

If she said that was out of bounds...and he ploughed on regardless, he broke an aggreement and ended up looking like a sap.

If she said that was out of bounds...and he ploughed on regardless, he broke an aggreement and ended up looking like a sap.

Actually yeah, only remember him saying. 'I know you ask me not to talk about..' So I'm wrong then, she wasn't fair game. D'arcy you d1ck!

Heckler wrote: »
    Seems like she had made it clear that she didn't want to talk about it but D'arcy ploughed on regardless no doubt trying for some mawkish sentimentality inducing a flood of "i'm in tears here Ray" and "tears flooding my cheeks as I sit here with my 3 year old in the kitchen" texts from the listeners who are as bad as him.

T'wasn't pretty radio. Fair play to her for not saying a word in response.

I got the impression she was crying, feck I wouldn't have liked to be there

It’s entirely her prerogative if she wants to write a letter in the paper regarding her husband.
    Now, she clearly stated previously that she didn’t want to talk about it, maybe in general, maybe on air to Ray.
    He obviously decided to ignore that!

I don't like D'arcy but I agree with the previous poster. She wrote an article about it, hence it was fair game. If she had responded to him instead of staying quite then it wouldn't seem so cringe worthy. I don't see that Ray did anything wrong here.

He did exactly what she clearly stated she didnt want, asked her about her husband!

She did the most dignified thing, said nothing and let Darcy try dig himself out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

I heard the interview. Didn't know who she was at first as they discussed holidays in Donegal and the Irish weather. The one thing that struck me as I tuned in was her beautiful voice and her manner. Then Ray dropped his clanger.

Here's her letter that appeared in the Daily Mail. Seems like they had a great love for each other which she expressed so very well here.

Source
    "Californication" star Natascha McElhone's humanitarian surgeon husband, Martin Kelly, died suddenly last week from an undiagnosed heart condition. She is pregnant with their third child, another son.

Even if you don't know who she is - or who he was - her tribute to her husband, released to British papers, is worth reading. And she's right: She is a lucky woman.

"This is near impossible for me. Anything I want to say is from such a personal perspective and, even though it's no one's business, I do want the world to know how incredible this man was.

"I'm hesitant, also, because we live in a world of superlatives, and words like 'incredible' have become hollow and meaningless, which is everything my husband was not.

"I know anyone who was in his sphere felt a strange electric current chase across the room as he entered it. I know he was the love of my life, the dearest, most exciting and witty friend I have ever had.

"I remember once I was asked a question by a journalist: 'Who would you most like to be stuck in a lift with?' I think I was meant to respond with a name like ‘Einstein’ and I said 'Martin Kelly'. They said: 'Who’s that?'

'Well, he happens to be my husband, but I promise you, if you met him you’d also want to be stuck in a lift with him. (Said journalist was female.) As well as being gorgeous, he’s the most exciting, stimulating person I have ever met.'

"They said that was ridiculous and couldn’t be my answer as no one would believe it. I agree, it seems implausible that someone I’ve known since I was 15 still thrills me to the core. He pushed me to do things I didn’t think I wanted to do. Or at least, I didn’t think I did until I had tried and was through the hoop of fire and then, of course, I felt a foot taller, living and breathing at his breakneck speed.

"It seems he had this effect on everyone who was his friend. You were touched by fire, it scalded sometimes.

"I worried about that for my boys. Would he push them too much when they were up that mountain? I would watch him effortlessly swoosh down the slope on his snowboard as they struggled on skis to keep up, only to realise by the last day his methods had triumphed again.

"They, of course, were now leading him, fearlessly shooting down black slopes with him chasing them, grinning from ear to ear, and, yes, even holding a video camera to capture the triumph of his ‘pups’.

"Rightly or wrongly, he wasn’t available to everyone. I think this was more to do with an inherent shyness than any kind of snobbery. But, as a result, the treasures he shared with me were for me and me alone - selfish, I know, but how loved he made those he loved feel. I can’t begin to describe that feeling.

"I would be on a crowded busy street running an errand or picking up the boys from school near his hospital and my stomach would do a somersault at the sight of a man in my peripheral vision. I would instantly feel shame that my eyes had wandered or my loins been stirred by another and would quickly turn away, only seconds later to hear someone laughing and saying: 'My darling, you just walked straight past me!'

"I would explain how I thought I’d seen another sexy man and all along it was him and he would blush like a schoolboy and bury his face in my neck.

"I just can’t believe I won’t feel his skin any more, how is that possible? I loved and touched him every day, and thank goodness I did. Bizarrely, we never raised our voices to one another, not a good or a bad thing – that just didn’t happen between us.

I"I can’t believe that that magical, beautiful creature is not here any more. He was too good to be true. There was never a day when we didn’t say: 'It’s ridiculous how lucky we are, look how blessed our life is.' I frequently felt undeserving of this; he, however, never.

"He was so sure of his place in the world and his right to everything he’d been blessed with, but without ever being complacent about it. I suppose it was because unlike most of us he never squandered a second of his life, every breath he took was full to bursting.

"I still feel like the luckiest woman alive, even though he’s not here. To have been given such a love, to have had ten years of utter bliss waking up next to someone who made my heart flutter, I could never in my wildest dreams have wished for more than that.

"I don’t know why I’m not surprised that his life came to an abrupt end. I didn’t think, 'Why us? Why me?', I just thought, 'Thank God I’ve lived like this thus far. Whatever happens, it was worth every ounce of pain I’m going through now.' "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I emailed the show to complain, wonder will it get air tomorrow. And to top it off, when she gets upset, instead of apologising and moving on, he says stuff like "do you see him in your childs eyes" and "how do you get up in the morning".. like that was going to calm her down.

zuroph wrote: »
    I emailed the show to complain, wonder will it get air tomorrow. And to top it off, when she gets upset, instead of apologising and moving on, he says stuff like "do you see him in your childs eyes" and "how do you get up in the morning".. like that was going to calm her down.

Im going to follow your lead, hopefully more will too!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

zuroph wrote: »
    I emailed the show to complain, wonder will it get air tomorrow.

I'd doubt it.

Unless you are mick the trucker in offaly and you are crying your eyes out you wont get a mention!

Mick the Trucker is an awful whinge-bag though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Jaysus Ray D'Arcy hah! What a plonker. If whats written here is the interview verbatim, then he really hasnt a clue does he! I think he forgets he presents a lightweight bit of weekday morning radio fluff and goes into Gay Byrne mode from time to time.

• Advertisement

Who does he think he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Mailed the show.

I reckon he'll comment on it in the morning. He's gotta know he messed up big time. I hope he apologised to McElhone off air.

My email
    Ray,

After listening to this morning's show, I felt I had to email to voice my disgust this morning's show.

The show finished with what started out as a candid interview with Natascha McElhone, which I was enjoying very much. She came across as a fantastically friendly person, doing a good job promoting her very worthy cause, and the conversation flowed very naturally between to two of you. That is, until you upset her. What followed was some of the most painfully upsetting radio I've heard in quite some time. By bringing up her Husband's untimely death, while simultaneously admitting she had requested you don't do so prior to the interview, you disrespected the poor woman. When she got audibly upset and fell silent, it was deafening. At that point, an immediate apology should have been offered, yet you continued, asking could you read out her published piece from the paper, and saying horrific stuff like "I don't know how you get up in the morning", and "Do you see him in Rex's eye?". How was this line of questioning ever going to get you out of an already awkward situation?! It was clearly going to upset her more. An apology only arrived at the end of the interview, and was too little too late.

As a broadcaster with your experience, you should have known better than to pursue that line of questioning after having been specifically asked not to. Exceptions could be made for journalistic reasons for someone trying to hide something, but in this instance, Natascha was clearly telling you she was still grief-struck about her husband, and nevertheless, in hope of some interesting radio, you ignored her request and rushed headfirst into the subject. What happened afterwards upset many many people, and your short apology has not gone far enough.

I'm sure you will tell us that you felt terrible about the situation afterwards. Its just a shame that it could all have been avoided if you had respected a grieving widow's wishes in the first place.

For shame Ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

“Now, I know you said you don’t want to talk about it
    says it all about Darcy

• Registered Users Posts: 19 undergroundeye

I heard it. The fact that he started the sentence with 'i know you said you don't want to talk about it' suggested to me that he asked her off air what she was comfortable talking about and she said not to mention the husband. If that was the case he was hugely out of line.

This is why I was confused, its only been a couple of months since this death and she clearly stated earlier that it wasn't to be mentioned, however he just trod carelessly all over her private life with the knowledge of her husband’s death

Wait till tomorrow, will he read out the texts that came in about the issue??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If Ray got to interview George W. Bush, and George W. said "You can ask me anything except about Iraq, Weapons of Mass destruction, or the World Trade Centre", and Ray asked anyway, would we still have so many bleeding hearts on here saying Ray is in the wrong?

And if Ray did get an interview with George Dubbya, and all we heard was about weather in Donegal, and kittens and puppy dogs, I think people would be saying things like "Typical Ray, cant give a decent interview etc etc".

If her husband was not something she wanted media attention for, why did she write to the daily mail, and why was she invited onto the show in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This is why I was confused, its only been a couple of months since this death and she clearly stated earlier that it wasn't to be mentioned, however he just trod carelessly all over her private life with the knowledge of her husband’s death

If she is still in mourning, why is she doing Radio interviews??

If my fiance died I wouldnt leave the house for about a year, and I definitely would not be doing interviews with the media.

She was promoting a campaign to get free tetanus shots for third world Children. This was her reason for being on the show, and she had asked to not be asked about her husband. Its different if a interviewee is trying to hide something or avoid an embarrassing topic, but this woman was clearly only avoiding the subject because it upset her. Not the same situation at all, and tactless out of d'arcy.

JAsus guys will ye read the facts before posting yer comments.

SHE OBVIOUSLY SAID TO RAY THAT SHE DIDNT WANT TO DISCUSS HER HUSBAND

Now regardless of weather she wrote stuff in newspapers doesnt mean her right to privacy can be disregarded.

Ray is a buffoooon, he should stick to whats he is good at .... Rose of Tralee and Zig n Zag ... jasus need i say any more

I'll always remember that idiotic dance he did on the Rose show !
    Not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

syklops wrote: »
    If Ray got to interview George W. Bush, and George W. said "You can ask me anything except about Iraq, Weapons of Mass destruction, or the World Trade Centre", and Ray asked anyway, would we still have so many bleeding hearts on here saying Ray is in the wrong?

And if Ray did get an interview with George Dubbya, and all we heard was about weather in Donegal, and kittens and puppy dogs, I think people would be saying things like "Typical Ray, cant give a decent interview etc etc".

If her husband was not something she wanted media attention for, why did she write to the daily mail, and why was she invited onto the show in the first place?
    At you taking the p1ss?

The actual incident and the example you just gave are so poles apart it's not even funny. The woman wrote an obituary to her husband in a newspaper proclaiming her love to her husband and the father of her children. And judging by the work he did it was well deserved. She didn't write a kiss and tell in the News of the World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

syklops wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

The difference being: one is a widow, the other a war criminal.

Has he mentioned it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭el diablo

What's all this. A thread about D'arcy's house?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    What's all this. A thread about D'arcy's house?

Darcys house ?
    you def didnt read the thread did you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

alibabba wrote: »
    Darcys house ?
    you def didnt read the thread did you
    LOL. Whoooosh!

Although looking at your location probably explains why you didn't get it. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement