Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lights in the sky

Options
  • 30-09-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

anyone spot some unusual lights in the sky out around the ballindereen area of the county last night? around 9ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

muskyj wrote: »
    anyone spot some unusual lights in the sky out around the ballindereen area of the county last night? around 9ish.

yip , been seeing them for last few weeks over loughrea too
    im afraid to ask cos people just laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

was afraid to start this thread for the same reason (didnt want it to turn into the farce of a thread that the one about lights over the clare hills did last year) but after pretty much ruling out the usual air traffic ive seen before i was hoping somebody would know if the army/rescue services were out for some reason, if there have been lights seen for the last few weeks though i don't know. must keep a look out again tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spotthedog

this probably seems even dumber, but wasn't there something about jupiter being visible? knew i should have tuned in properly when i heard that - now i don't know if i was dreaming or not?!:confused:

spotthedog wrote: »
    this probably seems even dumber, but wasn't there something about jupiter being visible? knew i should have tuned in properly when i heard that - now i don't know if i was dreaming or not?!:confused:

jupiter is visible every evening at the moment (cloudless sky permitting!!)
    you can see it as the brightest starlike object in the southern part of the sky. actually it was very close to the moon the night i mentioned. there may have been something on the radio/tv to highlight this as it was a fantastic sight. on the subject of jupiter - you only need a pair of binoculars to be able to see the 4 brightest of jupiters moons!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

about 2 weeks ago at 9 30 was heading in two town , as i turn top off dominick st could see a Red/Orange light in the sky over Nuns Island heading south (mill st ) no noise as you hear from the coast guard helicopter heading back to shonnan from galway .... keep eye out for looking back to Galway arms , and there she was gone .... think if was plane are coast guard helicopter you hear noise coming from it ... No Noise .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

about 2 weeks ago at 9 30 -10 pm Sat was heading in two town , as i turn top off dominick st could see a Red/Orange light in the sky over Nuns Island heading south (mill st ) no noise as you hear from the coast guard helicopter heading back to shonnan from galway .... keep eye out for looking back to Galway arms , and there she was gone .... think if was plane are coast guard helicopter you hear noise coming from it ... No Noise .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

extraice wrote: »
    about 2 weeks ago at 9 30 -10 pm Sat was heading in two town , as i turn top off dominick st could see a Red/Orange light in the sky over Nuns Island heading south (mill st ) no noise as you hear from the coast guard helicopter heading back to shonnan from galway .... keep eye out for looking back to Galway arms , and there she was gone .... think if was plane are coast guard helicopter you hear noise coming from it ... No Noise .....

its not uncommon if your up wind of it for you not to hear engine noise, especially within a city area.

i saw a plane turning out over aran once and was sitting on a quiet beach, only for i wasnt drinking id have reckoned it was something strange, then as it passed and the direction of it changed the noise became apparent.

Back on topic i havent heard anything about lights out over Ballindereen, maybe check with astronomy ireland if anything has be queried or reported there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Planets, stars and even sats travel across the sky at fairly mundain speeds, you can watch them for a good while before they can go out of sight.
    The stuff myself & my wife are seeing some nites is weird. We saw something travel across the night sky one nite (i ran in and got her to make sure i had a witness) that was travelling way way too fast to be a plane. It then slowed down and then sped up again and disappeared into the night.

We are directly over the main flight path for planes going out to the USA so we are well use to seeing planes in the sky. We even had the opportunity to see plaenty of B52s when the wars were at their peaks.

But this latest stuff is def not normal planes. I dont buy into UFO crap, but there must be something going on up there that the yanks/russians/japs etc are doing, I dont know, tis hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

i always look for weird things on clear nights. ive been reading a lot of sightings are taking place in ireland and the UK lately. i def. believe it could be something weird. anything is possible. i think its pretty ignorant to say there is no other life out there when there are more stars than grains of sand on earth!

i would love to start a UFO and/or paranormal society. maybe i will email barry fitzgerald from ghost hunters international, lol

i always look for weird things on clear nights. ive been reading a lot of sightings are taking place in ireland and the UK lately. i def. believe it could be something weird. anything is possible. i think its pretty ignorant to say there is no other life out there when there are more stars than grains of sand on earth!

i would love to start a UFO and/or paranormal society. maybe i will email barry fitzgerald from ghost hunters international, lol

You should join the ufo society of ireland

www.ufosocietyireland.com

Unfortunetly i think their big yearly meeting was on recently.
    not a member myself btw but i heard about them on the radio/tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

cheers for that!

Advertisement