Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 days off very slow interwebz in Rathmines :/ (Eircom)

• 30-09-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Internet went down last Thursday night from about 11pm till 7:45am on Friday morning. Since then the bandwidth has been shocking, very slow DL's and high pings during games. Experienced this on both laptops and even after swapping modems.

Anybody else getting this in Dublin? I'm on Rathmines exchange.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

A lot of people across the country are having problems with their speeds for over a week now, my parents in Co.Monaghan have 3MB with Eircom and can barely get 1MB at the best of times. I'm in Co.Louth with BT and I'm having the same problems 24/7 and friends I have round the town who are with Eircom are experiencing the same issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

:o What the heck would cause a slowdown for the whole country? This has been going on for a while, seems odd that it has lasted so long and is so wide-spread. Oo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Woody_FX wrote: »
    :o What the heck would cause a slowdown for the whole country? This has been going on for a while, seems odd that it has lasted so long and is so wide-spread. Oo
    Could be anything, but I would guess that for many the exchanges are overloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I presume you rang up Eircom/BT support? What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Having same problem in Maynooth. It's bloody annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Complain to your ISP. If you don't complain then they don't know the extent of the problem. I get the feeling that a lot of people are "putting" up with their broadband rather than getting a service which they are paying for.

Remember we have one of the highest phone rental rates in Europe and expensive broadband charges on top of that. It's not right that we get sh*te service as well!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Woody_FX wrote: »
    Internet went down last Thursday night from about 11pm till 7:45am on Friday morning. Since then the bandwidth has been shocking, very slow DL's and high pings during games. Experienced this on both laptops and even after swapping modems.

Anybody else getting this in Dublin? I'm on Rathmines exchange.

Ok, this is a plug, but that exchange (Rathmines) has been upgraded to ADSL2+ by Magnet. Slap me on the wrists if you like but we do have a faster service there (up to 24Mb) and with the new gaming service (lower latency) users can expect lower pings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Ok, this is a plug, but that exchange (Rathmines) has been upgraded to ADSL2+ by Magnet. Slap me on the wrists if you like but we do have a faster service there (up to 24Mb) and with the new gaming service (lower latency) users can expect lower pings.

Wish Magnet would roll out nationwide. Some competition would be good. Eircom has has a complete monopoly and know that if you need "real" broadband you are stuck with them whoever you choose if you are outside the cities and cabled areas.

It sucks.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Xcellor wrote: »
    Wish Magnet would roll out nationwide. Some competition would be good. Eircom has has a complete monopoly and know that if you need "real" broadband you are stuck with them whoever you choose if you are outside the cities and cabled areas.

It sucks.

Well the number one reason we unbundled Rathmines was demand, pure and simple, lots of people in Rathmines kept ringing us, so we gave them ADSL2+ equipment. Other elements were at play but thats what made us sit up and listen.

Demand for faster BB = higher chance of an area getting faster BB.

Advertisement