Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going on 31 would like to live in dublin but

Options
  • 30-09-2009 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I am attracted to what I would imagine is a great social life but most of my friends convice me to stay in boring waterford because they say dublin

is too expensive
    too rough

Maybe im too old to be thinking of my social life, although Im single so feck it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Dublin is not rough and its cheaper when you can control your finances .

Move to Leixlip or Celbridge . It cheaper rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

I am attracted to what I would imagine is a great social life but most of my friends convice me to stay in boring waterford because they say dublin

is too expensive
    too rough

Maybe im too old to be thinking of my social life, although Im single so feck it?

Dublin isn't that rough compared to other European and American cities. Expensive yes but what sort of social life are you going to have if your in Dublin and your mates are in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

If you're single then you're more able to move than if you were attached. Dublin is a great city (although the recession is definitely hitting the social scene) and if you have a job there has never been a better time to find a cheap place to live here. You're only 30, you can move anywhere in the world, not just Dublin, if you want to you should do it. In a few years you might have commitments that would tie you down, so now is the time. (BTW, if you do take the plunge you might as well live in Dublin proper, not Leixlip or Celbridge where it's too expensive to get a taxi home if you're out on the Dublin town.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Dublin is not as rough as many people make it out to be.
    Yes,there are some areas that are not friendly, but that's to be expected in each society.

The vast majority of Dublin people are friendly, but it's the minority who give Dublin the negative image it seems to have. If you can find somewhere with rent that you can handle, then it's worth it.

Dublin is one city that I would speak highly of, given the chance. Don't let the negativity and small amounts of bad things that happen drown out the prospects for making new friends and work opportunities.

Best of luck with your plans, whichever route you decide to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dublin isn't rough.
    Tbh, I've had worse experiences of small regional towns where everyone knows everyone and there are only a few squad cars to serve a large portion of the county at weekend nights.

Rent is expensive but it depends where you rent.
    Do your research and figure out the areas and you'll get a good gaff at a good price . Post back here if you need more info on areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

When did 31 become old? :(

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    When did 31 become old? :(

Unless your a football player 31 isn't old. Your social life is better in your 30's
    you don't care as much and you have a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

To be honest, im from Limerick and have moved here for work a couple of years ago, i prefer limerick to dublin and i make as many excuses as i can to travel home most weekends.

This place is horribly expensive, your social life wont be much improved either as with traffic you get up earlier and get home Later!

Have you looked into Cork or Galway?

Grass is greener on the side you water the most, most nights out are made great by the company you keep rather than the location

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

cronin_j wrote: »
    To be honest, im from Limerick and have moved here for work a couple of years ago, i prefer limerick to dublin and i make as many excuses as i can to travel home most weekends.

This place is horribly expensive, your social life wont be much improved either as with traffic you get up earlier and get home Later!

Have you looked into Cork or Galway?

Hi Cronin, you spend your time during the week working and commuting in Dublin and you don't spend your weekends there? No wonder you don't like it.

To be honest it looks like you don't know about the city with your horribly expensive comments. Then again, how could you, you don't really spend any time in Dublin. What do you spend your evenings doing? Galways traffic is infamously worse than Dublin's, so that is bad advice.

OP, I spend a lot of weekends in and around Dublin and the city.

Choose where you live very very carefully. Makes sure you pick somewhere with good public transport (Bus/Dart/Luas) to town or actually in town so you are not spending your time commuting like Cronin. A lot of rural people living in Dublin do no research about where they are going to live and then are shocked when they move in. Spend time in locations day and night, see what it's like, do the routes to work in and out during rush hour traffic to get a proper idea of what the commute is going to be.

Things are getting cheaper and cheaper in the city, accommodation, food, drink etc... Restaurants in Dublin are being squeezed, competition is tight and you won't get better deals anywhere else in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 yawhyawh

i love Dublin its full of character :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

im from Limerick and I lived there for 6 months last year. A lot of the people are pr!cks to you if your a "culchie". The social life isnt great there either. and its pretty damn expensive. as cronin said, try cork or galway. and Dublin is about as rough as Vida Guerra's ar$e!!!!

Dublin is about as rough as Vida Guerra's ar$e!!!!

Says someone from Limerick

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Hey OP

i am not originally from Dublin myself but have lived here for the last 10 years.

If you are going to move to city, try and get an apartment in the city centre, that way you won’t be relying on public transport or taxis.

Dublin is a wonderful place to live. It is relatively cheap as well, if you do a bit of research and don’t just following everyone else (like sheep).

There is so much to do for free, you could be out all weekend and not spend a cent.

But please do some research about where you are going to be working and living. There is nothing worse then moving to a new city and spending your whole time commuting.

Dublin is also one of the safest cities I have live in (if you are not an idiot and take precautions, so you would in every other city in the world)

lightening wrote: »
    Hi Cronin, you spend your time during the week working and commuting in Dublin and you don't spend your weekends there? No wonder you don't like it.

To be honest it looks like you don't know about the city with your horribly expensive comments. Then again, how could you, you don't really spend any time in Dublin. What do you spend your evenings doing? Galways traffic is infamously worse than Dublin's, so that is bad advice.

OP, I spend a lot of weekends in and around Dublin and the city.

Choose where you live very very carefully. Makes sure you pick somewhere with good public transport (Bus/Dart/Luas) to town or actually in town so you are not spending your time commuting like Cronin. A lot of rural people living in Dublin do no research about where they are going to live and then are shocked when they move in. Spend time in locations day and night, see what it's like, do the routes to work in and out during rush hour traffic to get a proper idea of what the commute is going to be.

Things are getting cheaper and cheaper in the city, accommodation, food, drink etc... Restaurants in Dublin are being squeezed, competition is tight and you won't get better deals anywhere else in the country.

Id like to point out that nowhere did it say in my original post that i havent sampled dublins nightlife, or weekend activities. Ive been in 80% of dublins nightclubs and find them all with the exception of Coppers full of pretensious a**'s. The restaurants here are pretty good. Ill have to say that the pubs here are a different class altogether, they are better in general than the ones in other counties, at least there is always a band or something playing. I have been to all the museums, anything that there is to see in dublin i have been too. The reason in long to get out is because the place is boring me. It is true that dublin is getting cheaper, but its nothing compared to the rest of the country. Dont forget they are getting cheaper and cheaper too...

i also live in Spencer dock, which is bang smack near everything, the evenings i try my best to go out for a walk or what ever and tuesdays and thursdays i play rugby with stillorgan. I have tried everything there is to do here. I know a part of me has that theres no place like home thing going on, but i havent just had my head in the sand either

yupyup7up wrote: »
    im from Limerick and I lived there for 6 months last year. A lot of the people are pr!cks to you if your a "culchie". The social life isnt great there either. and its pretty damn expensive. as cronin said, try cork or galway. and Dublin is about as rough as Vida Guerra's ar$e!!!!

Ignore this, ignorant immature post from someone who is just fearful of the city and what it has to offer. Big fish, small pond post and all that. Irishbird is a (less fearful) girl who obviously knows the city and has embraced it.
    Ive been in 80% of dublins nightclubs and find them all with the exception of Coppers full of pretensious a**'s.

Yeah, some of them can be like that. But coppers?
    The restaurants here are pretty good. Ill have to say that the pubs here are a different class altogether, they are better in general than the ones in other counties, at least there is always a band or something playing.

They are much friendlier that rural pubs to. Less suspicious.
    It is true that dublin is getting cheaper, but its nothing compared to the rest of the country.

Sorry, rural Ireland is a rip off, recently I paid 16 Euro for two coffees and two ham sandwiches in a crappy dirty pub. I would have a choice of really good filling food for that in the city, but that's a city for you. Amazing blackboard deals in Dublin now, great value and quality. Have you eaten in the Asian quarter in Dublin, I don't think any other Irish city can beat those prices and that range of food.

Do you honestly find Dublin boring compared to Limerick? What has Limerick got compared to Dublin that makes it a more interesting place.... NOT being sarcastic here, but I will make it my business to have another weekend break there.

lightening wrote: »
    Ignore this, ignorant immature post from someone who is just fearful of the city and what it has to offer. Big fish, small pond post and all that. Irishbird is a (less fearful) girl who obviously knows the city and has embraced it.

Yeah, some of them can be like that. But coppers?

They are much friendlier that rural pubs to. Less suspicious.

Sorry, rural Ireland is a rip off, recently I paid 16 Euro for two coffees and two ham sandwiches in a crappy dirty pub. I would have a choice of really good filling food for that in the city, but that's a city for you. Amazing blackboard deals in Dublin now, great value and quality. Have you eaten in the Asian quarter in Dublin, I don't think any other Irish city can beat those prices and that range of food.

Do you honestly find Dublin boring compared to Limerick? What has Limerick got compared to Dublin that makes it a more interesting place.... NOT being sarcastic here, but I will make it my business to have another weekend break there.

ah no worries i realise your not being sarcastic, you know im not sure what it is, the points you have raised are very valid and i wouldnt dismiss any of them to be honest. Coppers is a really bad example, but in fairness its not pretentious which was my point.

I think knowing your home town is the main thing, theres always soemthing going on. In dublin everything seems like such an effort, with traffic, taxi's, people arent as friendly, it just seems very clinical in comapred to Limerick.

people arent as friendly, it just seems very clinical in comapred to Limerick.

I find it the opposite lately. A Cork man or a Limerick man would not be treated with the same suspicion in a Dublin pub as a Dublin man would in a Cork or Limerick pub. I find people generally friendlier and more chatty in Dublin than the rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Find a nice bedsit/1 bed flat in Terenure/Rathgar/Rathmines, nice quick cycle to the city centre, u can walk home after a night out too. those areas are very quiet at night, Im on the edge of Terenure and its very peaceful after 8pm

im from Limerick and I lived there for 6 months last year. A lot of the people are pr!cks to you if your a "culchie".

I lived in Kerry for 10 years and found it to be the exact opposite, I was assumed to be a drug dealer by some local people. I didn't get much of a welcome in Monaghan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

I Ive been in 80% of dublins nightclubs and find them all with the exception of Coppers full of pretensious a**'s.

Sorry but I nearly wet myself laughing at this statement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭vinniefly

just put up a similar thread. i'm from kerry and i'm moving up 2 dub next week, but only because i think its a great city. not 2 mention the great night life. if your not enyoyin the place don't live der! i've been going up alot in the last 3 months looking for work and i've had no hassle with dublin people...

francosp wrote: »
    Sorry but I nearly wet myself laughing at this statement...

I like his honesty! And vinniefly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

In the case of Cronin's I'd say it's nothing more than the feeling of "there's no better place than home". I'll never want to leave Dublin and move to another part of the country, Dublin's home and there's no better place than it.;)

Research where you're going to live, try city center or close to it. Usually anywhere within about 3-4 miles of the city center is quick commute, I live in Clontarf and I get to O'Connell street in 25-30 minutes usually.

Dublin is getting a lot cheaper if you look around, the Asian quarter as mentioned is cheap as piss, many good restaurants have some great offers going, Jimmy Chungs, 12.95 all you can eat Chinese with some seriously good quality Chinese food, Milanos do a early bird 2 course menu for 12.95 as well I think, cheaper can be found elsewhere and not to mention there's a lot of good value nice tasting food out there, don't let the name knock it but "Tesco's finest" range has some very nice foods for cheap.

As long as you know where to go to get the best deals, get good value accomadation, have a job sorted and live close to some form of public transport you'll live pretty nicely. I've never had trouble in Dublin, worse thing that's ever happened was a punch of some little **** of a 12 year old because I wouldn't give him a smoke, as long as you're copped on nothing bad should happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

i also live in Spencer dock, which is bang smack near everything,
    Not having a go but I'd say the opposite, I used to live on Custom House Square in the IFSC and i just wanted out asap. horrilbe place for reasons you described (kids throwing stones at windows doesn't sound like a big deal but is) and lot more to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Ah FFS!! What kind of ignorant eejits were you hanging out with? :eek:
    I moved up from Limerick to Dublin over 10 years ago and I never had anyone be a prick to me about being a "culchie". If anything, they didn't dare, because of the Stab City rep ;):D

Nobody in Dublin gives a ****e about where you're from, at the end of the day. There are people from all over the world living in Dublin, so being from the country is no big deal, unless you let it. Darn it, most of my friends are Dubs :)

Everyone gets the piss taken for being different no matter where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I think knowing your home town is the main thing, theres always soemthing going on. In dublin everything seems like such an effort, with traffic, taxi's, people arent as friendly, it just seems very clinical in comapred to Limerick.

When I was at home, I couldn't even shift someone in a club and it would get back to my parents by the end of the week.... fecking hated that! I love the fact that I could do whatever I want in Dublin and it isn't going to be talked about.

If I go home for the weekend and wanted to go into town on a Saturday night, I would have to get a lift into Limerick and get a taxi home. Or else not drink and drive home. At least in Dublin, I can get the bus into town and get a Nightlink home.

I'm intrigued that you say people aren't friendly here. I went to college here, so I got to know loads of people straight away. I made a point of staying up here at the weekends so I would be around for nights out and parties where I could meet people. Have you considered doing other social activities/a course, or get more involved with the rugby? After all these years, I still find things to see or revisit around Dublin. :)

Advertisement