Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Memory Stick/Pen Drive damaged?

• 30-09-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    First post in this forum so hi & I hope someone can help with this problem.

I have a 128mb USB memory stick that I use for keeping a few excel files, photos etc. on.
    Anyway it has stopped working on any pc that I plug it into.
    On pc's that I have used it on before I get an error message stating;
    'USB Device Not Recognized' & that it has malfunctioned.
    On pc's I hadn't previously used it on it said new hardware found then a few seconds later gave the same message as the other machines.
    I can't see the drive under 'My Computer' on any pc.

I have done a limited bit of research & have done the following with no joy;
    - Downloaded a pen drive data recovery application but no use as the stick isn't being recognized.
    - On home pc, unplugged both ends of all power cords, left alone for a few hours to drain any residual power & reconnected.

Not worried if the device is buggered but can I get the files off it somehow?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Does the drive stll have power ? (ie : if you plug it in does a light on the drive turn on/flash)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Icepickle

No light on anymore. It's a few years old so has probably died of old age.

Unfortunatly,flash storage needs power to be accesed.

If your a practical person you could take the casing of the drive and see if there are any internal connections lose and them and re-solder them.

I am somewhat, but even if I could figure out how to take the casing off I wouldn't be sure what too look for unless it was exceptionally obvious. I find that the smaller items & parts are the less I can see wrong.
    In any event I don't have a soldering iron.
    Any other suggestions? From the limited info you have to work on do you think it sounds like I could retrieve the files somehow?
    BTW, thanks for your input.

Icepickle wrote: »
    I am somewhat, but even if I could figure out how to take the casing off I wouldn't be sure what too look for unless it was exceptionally obvious. I find that the smaller items & parts are the less I can see wrong.
    Any other suggestions? From the limited info you have to work on do you think it sounds like I could retrieve the files somehow?

I'm almost sure that your out of options.Sorry

Although maybe someone will come in with anther suggestion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Icepickle wrote: »

If they're really really important....

Most of those old USB drives have 2 chips in there - a USB chip and an EEPROM. Sounds like its the USB chip thats fecked, so odds are the ROM is fine. It would take a few hours to hook up another USB chip and get the data off the ROM.

Unless you happen to have another identical USB pen drive?
    In that case it would take 15 minutes to swap the chips over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

I assume that you're just trying to get data off it right? you can get a 4 gig replacement for about 12 quid

I wouldn't know the difference between a USB chip & an EEPROM if they both jumped up & bit me.

I do however know where I can get an identical drive as a few of them were thrown into work a few years back.

I would like to recover some files off it as I don't have backups stored elsewhere (:eek: I know!!!). Nothing essential just a few excel files that I use to track golf scores etc. Not life altering stuff it's just that I spent alot of time on them & haven't got the data anymore to recreate.

I did manage to get the casing off (& can get it back on) but I don't have a clue about changing chips.
    Here is a picture if it helps (apologies for the poor quality).

There ya go, just swap the ROM over to the other pen drive.

Cheers for that.
    OK did a bit of surfing on how to do it & seems handy enough.
    One question though, should I get myself a chip extraction tool or would the careful use of a screwdriver or similar implement work?

• Advertisement

A chip extractor tool?
    Those chips are soldered to the board, you need a hot air gun to take them off and a soldering iron to replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Try this, should help

If you dont have linux installed you can run it from a ubuntu live cd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I am in the same predicament. Tutor in college had a try and said that the data is recoverable but of course I would have to pay for the software which I don't mind doing at this stage.

I had a look at this site

http://www.data-recovery-usb-drive.com/usb-drive/software.html

wonder is it any good?

Modern technology is great but when it fecks up it causes so much problems.

Advertisement