Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of the businesses 2009

• 30-09-2009 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

This year’s Battle of the Businesses will kick off in Revolution’s new Basement Bar on Thursday October 15th. Like last year, it will take place every Thursday night at 9pm and run for 8 consecutive weeks. Last year’s competition featured teams from WLR, BEAT102-103, Waterford Fire Service, St Joseph’s Childcare, Juicemaster, Petmania and many more. The overall winners last year were Upthedeise.com who just managed to overhaul Geoff Harris and WLR near the end to land the coveted title of “Champion Business 2008”.

The battle of the businesses is open to any business or company and all you need each week is a team of 4 people (cost each week is €20 per team). As well as being a great, fun night out, the battle has proven to be a great team building night and is a great way to boost staff morale. Companies are allowed to submit as many teams as they want but they must all be given individual team names as well as their company name. The Battle League table will be updated each week and posted in local press as well as on the Revolution website and screens inside the bar.

The battle is similar to a normal table quiz, except that it’s as far from normal as you can get. There are your usual questions on Music, movies, brain teasers, local knowledge etc, but don’t be surprised to receive a text out of the blue giving you details about a treasure hunt that could earn you bonus points, or maybe an impromptu karaoke contest…like all battles, you never know what’s going to happen next.

There are still plenty of places available for this year’s event and if you fancy taking upthedeise’s crown from them all you have to do is email your registration to battleofbiz@gmail.com with your company name, contact email address and a phone number. Your Battle of the Business welcome pack will be emailed to you and you’ll soon be ready for battle. All you’ll need to do next is turn up each night and show us what you’re made of!

I was trying to get a team from boards from this last year to no avail and then upthedeise bloody win it.

I'm involved in the running of it this year (hopefully the mods won't mind me posting) I think it would be great to have a boards.ie team...put the waterford forum on the map!

What do ya say?!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Had I been still in waterford during the week I would have def but my name in. would have been a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sign me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Starts Thursday 15th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

im thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Do you have to be able to make it every week? Or can you bring in subs or something?

• Advertisement

You can bring in subs...we don't expect people to always be able to make it. but if your team is not represented in some way you won't get any points on the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

great idea ---
    something to do during the winter months --
    count me in ---
    how do i sign up?

foxylad wrote: »
    great idea ---
    something to do during the winter months --
    count me in ---
    how do i sign up?

LOL I'm sure Sully will be happy with you again!

nkay1985 wrote: »
    LOL I'm sure Sully will be happy with you again!

i can participate in the quiz ---
    im not running it !!!!!

i can participate in the quiz ---
    im not running it !!!!!

Oh right. So Revolution will have a team in it?

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Oh right. So Revolution will have a team in it?

rev or escape!
    would that be ethical?

rev or escape!
    would that be ethical?

Well, if you're not involved in running it I don't see why not. You just happen to be the venue where it's taking place. If, on the other hand, it's not specifically you who's running it but another Revolution employee, then there might be a problem.

Battle of the Business is a, sort of, franchise run by myself. It was held in Masons last year and this year it's on in Revolution Basement bar. The venue has two massive screens, some smaller ones and also an equipped DJ box so it's perfect for running the battle.

Seriously though lads, it is great fun - Beat102-103 hav a team in this year as do WLR and of course the defending champions UPtheDeise will be back.

I'll give you an example of some of the rounds you will expect to see...

Movie Invisibles
    Music Clips
    Video Clips
    Identify the Waterford Location (similar to our pics thread)

It's like a Table Quiz except it's been brought into the 21st century. 95% of the questions are google proof too. We don't confiscate phones and we don't penalise people who cheat...the reason being it's too hard to implement...instead we make the questions google proof and just embarrass the people that are found cheating.

The battle works on a league basis, if you miss a week you just miss your points tally for that week - you don't have to be there every week but it's a major help if you are, or your team is represented in some way.

Well...is there a boards.ie team?

Not much interest in here unfortunately. Will try find another team so :(

Disappointing alright

I see there's a battle of the societies being advertised around WIT. Is this just a league within the league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 montruse

Would like to know where the original quote came from?? From what I can remember WLR pulled out under controversial circumstances and upthedeise narrowly bet St Josephs!

Advertisement