Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need something quick-growing & strong

Options
  • 30-09-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I have an issue where my road-front wall was built a few feet back from the road.
    Unfortunately, because i live near the sea, it's become a public parking spot, as the boreen deteriorates badly after my driveway. The parking is one thing, people gawping down to my house is another, and tourists deciding my garden is just the place for their picnic is something else again!

So, my plan is to plant some quick-growing bushes on the public side of my gardenwall. Quick-growing to afford me some privacy, and strong & imposing enough that-hopefully- people won't try to park on top of them.

Budget is an issue, but I'm willing to pay up to get what i want.

Any advice on what will give me the desired barrier, but preferably also have some visual apeal too, would be much appreciated.

The garden is very peaty & this part is quite exposed to wind. I'm looking to "close off" approx 50ft total length.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 treesireland

gresalinea hedging. growes well by the see. plenty of it growen in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would be wary of planting outside of your boundary. You could create a nice hedge only to have the Council cut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would put rocks along the edge to stop errant parkers.
    NZ flax (Phormium) is a very tough and salt resistant plant that grows quickly and is not affected by damp conditions and high winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would put rocks along the edge to stop errant parkers..

I'm not sure if thats allowed... I've heard you would be liable if someone damaged their car on them.

bbam wrote: »
    I'm not sure if thats allowed... I've heard you would be liable if someone damaged their car on them.

Can't see how you could be liable? I mean if you drive into a stone wall or a kerb who's fault is it?
    The council often put rocks at the entrances of parking places to deter the longterm caravan parkers, are they liable if someone drives into one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Escallonia is a good choice for coastal sites, it is evergreen, fast growing and also has the advantage of flowers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 treesireland

escallonia verry good plant , diffacult to get big ones, phormiums , yea would do the job but very slopy, oh what to go with :)

Just a tip, Many of the New Zealand plants do well here, same kind of conditions , windy wet and salty.
    Hebe's, Phormiums, Griselinea are all coastal plants from NZ Have a look at the garden centre for NZ plants and you will likely get a lot of ideas.
    It might be nice to have a range of plants rather than just a monoculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I believe that you are totally liable if you put a rock onto land does not belong to you & a car hits it. I also as stated would question of planting a hedge outside your boundary. After all if it is a roadside verge it has an element of public access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Olearia (O. macrodontaaa or O.haastii) are fantastic quick growing evergreen hedges, and ideal for coastal locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

Is it public proeprty? Put up a "No trespass" sign to stop the picnicing on your lawn. Other than that, you have no entitlement to obstruct public property. And there is no law to looking at others' houses from a public road. So the obvious soln is to grow the hedge INSIDE the wall.

Advertisement