Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen 1 to 1 debate with Ganley

Options
  • 30-09-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Ganley has asked on several occasions to debate the terms of the Treaty with Cowen, yet Cowen still will not do this.

If he was able to refute every thing Ganley is explaining about the terms of the Treaty, surely he would jump at the chance to do this for the Irish people.

We must only conclude that Cowen knows that Ganley will show up his Yes claims for the crapology that they are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

pog it wrote: »
    Ganley has asked on several occasions to debate the terms of the Treaty with Cowen, yet Cowen still will not do this.

If he was able to refute every thing Ganley is explaining about the terms of the Treaty, surely he would jump at the chance to do this for the Irish people.

We must only conclude that Cowen knows that Ganley will show up his Yes claims for the crapology that they are.

Or perhaps Cowen doesn't answer demands from every unelected crack pot in the country.

Now when is Ganley going to debate me one on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

It' similar to Richard Dawkins not debating with creationists, it gives their position merit by debating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Ganley is not elected and does not represent the people

if Ganley wants a debate, why doesnt he come here to boards :D like other politicians have done and answer our questions

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Cowen probably doesn't know what's in the Treaty. Didn't he admit the last time that he didn't

read it? It's pretty obvious that he's afraid of Ganley, otherwise he would have no problem

debating with him.

Ganley is the leader of the No campaign.

Since when?

Ganley hopped in late and now he's leader of the no campaign?

Joe Higgins has got far more of a right to that title. For one he's actually a politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Please don't refer to Declan Ganley or anyone else as "mentally disabled" or any other silly personal insults. Equally, calling Brian Cowen an "ignoramus" is precisely the same thing. This isn't one of those sites on the Internet where we allow mudslinging like that. We're trying to up the standard here, not lower it. Relevant posts deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If it looks like a duck, and it sounds like a duck, then one can hardly be blamed for calling it a duck.

The comment is quite clearly targetting Ganley alone, should that even need to be pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

He is the leader based on his track record since the last time we voted. I don't isolate these things, I see these treaties for the series they are.

Or have you forgotten that we already voted on this Treaty?

Ganley is the leader of the No campaign.

I must have missed that election...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why the **** should the Taoiseach of the country hold a public debate with a failed politician like Ganley?

I hate Fianna Fail, but my dog has about as much entitlement to have a televised debate with Cowen as Ganley does.

• Advertisement

He is the leader based on his track record since the last time we voted. I don't isolate these things, I see these treaties for the series they are.

Or have you forgotten that we already voted on this Treaty?

What is his 'track' exactly?

He was involved in the no campaign last time round too, why was he leader then?

He also tried to get elected to the European Parliment with Lisbon being his main argument. He failed and said he wouldn't campaign for the next referendum.

But half way through the campaign he changes his mind and jumps aboard and you think that enititles him to some sort of extra credibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

He is the leader based on his track record since the last time we voted.

Based on failing to get elected in Connaught-Ulster? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Based on failing to get elected in Connaught-Ulster? :confused::confused:

That was the fault of voters like me who mistakenly give higher preferences to other candidates. Sorry about that.

That was the fault of voters like me who mistakenly give higher preferences to other candidates. Sorry about that.

Yeah have to hold my hands up to giving him #13 there all right.

Sorry Deco, you'll have to continue to buy your mandate from JCDecaux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

JCDecaux are probably too busy doing corrupt secret deals with Limerick, Galway and other city councils like they did with Dublin city council.

For 'free' trips on a bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭truthisfree

Cowen would not debate Ganley as he felt he was not an elected representative of the people, the majority of the electorate do not have an elected representative! That bodes badly for the future of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

why doesnt Ganley respond to boards.ie invitations for an interview?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055697102&page=2

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

....the majority of the electorate do not have an elected representative! That bodes badly for the future of this country.

Could you clarify exactly what majority do not have an elected representative?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Thats some water tight logic there. I suppose you want our elected leader to see to the whim of every billionaire with dodgy political aspirations.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

the majority of the electorate do not have an elected representative! That bodes badly for the future of this country.

What? Did they not elect the Government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

prinz wrote: »

The majority of no-voters.

The majority of no-voters.

They do have an elected representative. The government represents them too. Because they don't like them should they have their own representatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭truthisfree

The majority of people who voted no last time do not have political representation in this referendum!

The majority of people who voted no last time do not have political representation in this referendum!

How so? There are Sinn Féin TD's, Mary Lou McDonald, there is Joe Higgins....
    all elected representatives.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

How so? There are Sinn Féin TD's, Mary Lou McDonald, there is Joe Higgins....
    all elected representatives.

Mary Lou Mcdonald is not an elected representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ganley's got nothing to lose by debating Cowen, whereas Cowen needs to keep up appearances. When this whole debacle is over, Ganley can crawl back down any hole he came from. He would lie through his teeth as always, Cowen would have no option but to spend all his time rebutting the lies.

Now I'm no fan of Cowen, I think he's full of sh*t, but he does NOT tell bare-faced lies like Ganley can and does.

Joe Higgins is elected. They may not have other elected representatives because most if not all are pro-Lisbon. They then have political representatives like Mary Lou McDonald.

Mary Lou Mcdonald is not an elected representative.

Apologies yes you're right. Slip up, mea culpa, but at least she once was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

cornbb wrote: »
    Ganley's got nothing to lose by debating Cowen, whereas Cowen needs to keep up appearances. When this whole debacle is over, Ganley can crawl back down any hole he came from. He would lie through his teeth as always, Cowen would have no option but to spend all his time rebutting the lies.

Now I'm no fan of Cowen, I think he's full of sh*t, but he does NOT tell bare-faced lies like Ganley can and does.
    Indeed, there wouldn't be a debate, it would be Ganley dodging the treaty text itself and actual reasons to vote no and Cowen sitting there having to explain the truth of the situation, while having Ganley chant slogans about democracy at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I can understand why Cowen would not want to debate Ganley but it does not mean that it is correct. Cowen does not have to debate any one. If he is so sure and certain of his position it should be a cake walk. I find it sad and disheartening though that An Taoiseach could not wipe the floor with a so called failed politician as other people have put it. I have lost even more respect for him if that was possible.

Advertisement