Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using mobile in USA

Options
  • 30-09-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I'm travelling to New York for a week at the end of october and would like to bring my Nokia 6200 mobile phone to keep in touch but I'm told that Vodafone pre pay customers can't call home. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

flickarius wrote: »
    I'm travelling to New York for a week at the end of october and would like to bring my Nokia 6200 mobile phone to keep in touch but I'm told that Vodafone pre pay customers can't call home. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Network unlock your handset and buy a prepay US sim or network unlock your handset and buy an Irish prepay sim from a mobile network that will supports full prepay roaming in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Vodafone prepay works just fine in the US, have been using it in California in August. It is not cheap though.... You will be roaming on the AT&T network. You do have to make sure that you phone actually supports the US frequencies, ie it has to be at least a triband or a quadband phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 herny

am going to be in states for hol in summer and dont fancy roaming charges for making/receiving, was planning on buying cheapo PAYG phone there, is it possible to foward your irish mobile to this new usa number so you can receive calls but avoid the roaming charges for receiving calls from home (and not have to tell everyone what your payg number is in usa)

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

herny wrote: »
    am going to be in states for hol in summer and dont fancy roaming charges for making/receiving, was planning on buying cheapo PAYG phone there, is it possible to foward your irish mobile to this new usa number so you can receive calls but avoid the roaming charges for receiving calls from home (and not have to tell everyone what your payg number is in usa)

cheers

Forwarding your mobile number to your US number will incur the cost of sending the call from Ireland -> US which is pretty much cost prohibitive anyway. Just get a US prepay number and give it to anybody who wants to ring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Some networks don't allow diverting calls to international numbers, so even if this wasn't cost prohibitive, it may not even be allowed by the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This divert could be achieved in a complex way by setting up Bleuface VOIP number, or Skypein number and then diverting that to the US number. Not worth it for a week. Divert your Irish number to voicemail before you leave and leave a message telling people to text you.

Advertisement