Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

free help for experience!

• 30-09-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

hi lads,
    I'm not a farmer but i love farms. what would yis think the reaction would be if i were to offer a day's free labour to a local farmer each week. do you think it would be greeted scorn or welcomed?

my motives would be purely to see what life on a farm is like and whether or not its the life for me. i would have always held an interest in seting up a small holding.

by the way i'm a 25 year old from north kildare area, full driving licence. fully fit. would sign waiver for insurance etc.

thanks,
    Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i think if you offered 1-2 weeks work it might be better,you wont find your way around a farm in 1 day and you wont learn anything, the farmer for 1 day will feel he will have to mind you all day long and will feel its a waste of time just for 1 day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

hi lads,
    I'm not a farmer but i love farms. what would yis think the reaction would be if i were to offer a day's free labour to a local farmer each week. do you think it would be greeted scorn or welcomed?

my motives would be purely to see what life on a farm is like and whether or not its the life for me. i would have always held an interest in seting up a small holding.

by the way i'm a 25 year old from north kildare area, full driving licence. fully fit. would sign waiver for insurance etc.

thanks,
    Eoin

you sound very keen eoin which is in itself a good start , would you consider a month instead of a day , thier are what they call host farmers who take in agri students who are doing thier on farm placement as part of thier course , theese farmers would be used to dealing with relativley inexperienced farm workers , perhaps you should contact the local TEAGASC office and tell them your story , you dont want to end up with the kind of farmer who is only looking for some slave labour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

irish_bob wrote: »
    you dont want to end up with the kind of farmer who is only looking for some slave labour

Aaah, I was just going to try to recruit him to bring home a couple of plots of turf from the bog :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tedandbetty

to be honest i think most farmers would Jump at the offer once they were sure you were genuine.
    i know on our family farm help would not be turned down.
    and if you got the right farmer he/she would proberly put a few quid your way at the end of the day and proberly feeed you for the time you spent with them.
    have you any farm experience?
    can you drive a tractor?

i sugest you ask one or 2 in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

irish_bob wrote: »
    would you consider a month instead of a day

i'd only be able to do one day a week. some weeks maybe two days. but a long stretch in a row wouldnt be possible cause im employed full time already.
    a lot of my days off are weekdays though.

driving a tractor would be no difficulty, i've driven jeeps and vans loads of times. cant be that different can it?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement