Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet bills

Options
  • 30-09-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I had noticed that the cat I found drank alot of water (at first I thought he just might be dehydrated and quite tursty) I also noticed that he used the litter tray alot too (he wasn't litter trained at first so I never could tell how much he went, he used the bath for his toilet). A few days ago he got sick which I put down to him wolfing down too much food, also he's tending to cough and make other noises alot. So I did the natural thing and brought him to the vet.

Since he's middle aged and I found him strayed the vet thought it could have been feline aids or leukaemia so he got tested. They took a blood sample and did a urine dipstick.

The cost came to €118.

At the moment I'm just happy that both tests were negitive it's probably something wrong with kidneys or bladder. They gave me antibiotocs for him because I really couldn't afford more tests.

But how common would these prices be? While I was waiting people with dogs were paying about the same price (I think one was for getting a big dog neutered - their childern were trying to look at the dogs crotch:rolleyes:)

There's only two vets were I'm from, the other one is cheaper but I feel that the one I went to spends more time with the animal (and people), they also provide a good few free services and in general just seem more approachable.

Also I've called him Mustachio (it looks a little like he has a mustach
    http://i34.tinypic.com/jkx113.jpg

And my first cat got a micro chip put in today and she didn't need to be knocked out but she really didn't like it. After it happended she was climbing onto me to get away from the vet, it was really cute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

get pet insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

BVB wrote: »
    get pet insurance

I don't think pet insurance would cover it as its an underlying condition, though might be worth looking into incase of any future mishaps!
    Thankfully I don't know much about vet prices because iv never had to go to them for anything other than the regular stuff, but the place I sometimes use charges a 39.50 consulation fee, I was only in there for 10-15 mins max to be told that hamsters hair loss and lump on his side was due to old age and there was nothing they could do for him at his age and suggested I replace him (jokingly)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Pet insurance doesn't cover anything which they already have. Also he one I found a few weeks ago, at this stage I'll care for him like my other cat but he's not fully mine yet so pet insurance might be a bit soon to get for him (I mightn't have him by christmas)

Also I'm getting pet insurance for the other cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Am not impressed that the vet microchipped your cat without pain relief. Have you seen the size of a microchip needle?? Whenever I'm involved with an unchipped cat or kitten I request that they be chipped at the same time as they're being desexed, while they're under - or wait until there's another procedure due, like teeth cleaning.

A microchip needle has a sharp point that widens into a blade, because the chip is around the size of a grain of rice and needs to sit inside the hollow point of the needle. The point and blade go into the skin and the chip is inserted by means of a plunger, pushing it out of the needle.

I've been there for a few chippings where the cat was fully awake and aware, and they're a bit grim to be honest (especially if the person chipping the cat isn't forceful enough to get that big needle in and out in a couple of seconds!!)

Am not impressed that the vet microchipped your cat without pain relief. Have you seen the size of a microchip needle?? Whenever I'm involved with an unchipped cat or kitten I request that they be chipped at the same time as they're being desexed, while they're under - or wait until there's another procedure due, like teeth cleaning.

A microchip needle has a sharp point that widens into a blade, because the chip is around the size of a grain of rice and needs to sit inside the hollow point of the needle. The point and blade go into the skin and the chip is inserted by means of a plunger, pushing it out of the needle.

I've been there for a few chippings where the cat was fully awake and aware, and they're a bit grim to be honest (especially if the person chipping the cat isn't forceful enough to get that big needle in and out in a couple of seconds!!)

I was holding my cat as she did it, so I saw what happened and she was very quick and good at it. As for the cat she didn't even struggle she just let out a meow and climbed into me after it. I for one thought it was better than her going on a GA because she is distressed for the whole day after one of those but it was only less then 5 minutes of her being distressed. Also I do think it's ideal to do it when she's already going under but I don't have the money to pay for a bunch of stuff at once. Even today I'm paying most of the other cats bill next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Am not impressed that the vet microchipped your cat without pain relief.
    Is chipping a dog different to chipping a cat. I dont know anything about cats but I know my dogs when chipping werent sedated. Is it normal to sedate cats for this procedure.

OrlaK - I suppose when you consider you had a consulation, two tests and got antibiotics I suppose the bill is about right. I have paid about €40 for a consultation before and if you cost each test and the pills about about €20 its roughy right. You should ask for a receipt each time as it will give you the breakdown and at least you will see what each thing is costing.

Inexile wrote: »
    Is chipping a dog different to chipping a cat. I dont know anything about cats but I know my dogs when chipping werent sedated. Is it normal to sedate cats for this procedure.

OrlaK - I suppose when you consider you had a consulation, two tests and got antibiotics I suppose the bill is about right. I have paid about €40 for a consultation before and if you cost each test and the pills about about €20 its roughy right. You should ask for a receipt each time as it will give you the breakdown and at least you will see what each thing is costing.

I got a receipt and it all looked alright and I'm not complaining but just wondering is it the same around the rest of the country or are some places cheaper or otherwise. Since there's only two vets here there's not much competition.

The two tests were €25 each and the tablets were about €5 and then there's a little more urine sample, getting blood that cost a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

If you have a pet dog or cat get insurance. Do not mess about. You can get temp insurance for 6 months, even from tescos. Consider yourself lucky at €118. My Dog had Kidney problems earlier in the week, and we're out of pocket to the tune of £800+. Thankfully we have insurance, but it takes months for that to come back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

just going on the photo it looks like he should be swirling a brandy ,,very sophisticated looking cat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Inexile wrote: »

Being fair to both OrlaK and OrlaK's vet, it's not unusual for them to chip an animal without an anaesthetic or painkiller. It's me personally who feels it's a bit grim, it's not a 'best practice' thing. I'm just a bit precious about it. I usually ask the vet to chip mine while they're under being desexed, or if they're older and need their teeth cleaned I ask for them to be chipped while they're sedated for that procedure.

The best vets, to me, are the ones who aren't afraid of the short, sharp pain something will cause an animal, so they do the procedure quickly and neatly (a bit like ear piercing on small children I suppose!) I've just seen a few hesitant attempts at chipping a kitten or cat who's awake and it's all gone a bit pete tong. :/ (The animal recovers very quickly still, but it's not ideal to have them stabbed repeatedly in the back of the neck with a chipping syringe, especially if the syringe goes through-and-through the scruff at some point).

On that note, I brought one of my cats to the vet yesterday to have his glands squeezed (poor bugger - it's rare in a cat, but every few months we go). It was a new vet, and not to be gross but he really made sure he cleaned the glands out thoroughly. The cat was not happy while having it done, but by the time I had him home, he was like a whole new cat. Running, jumping, playing, full of mad beans and energy, and hopefully after such a thorough clean out we won't have to go back for quite a few months. I'd rather have the vet cause my animal a minute or two of discomfort for a better long-term result, than have them be delicate and not fix the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Actually Orla that sounds about right. Here in Limerick most vets charge about €40 to €50 for a FeLV and FIV test. I guess your vet also charged you a consult, which is normally anywhere between €30-€50 plus the urine test and antibiotics. That price is about average, in my experience, so if you're happy with his bedside manner, I'd stick with him. :)

Good on you for rescuing the cat by the way, didn't he land on his paws! Poor fella would be in awful pain with the UTI if you hadn't taken him in. Great to hear he tested negative for FeLV/FIV - that's a big hurdle crossed. Love the name! :o

Edited to add: Re: the chipping - a good vet will avoid using sedatives or anaesthetic unless absolutely necessary - they do take a toll on the liver and kidneys. It would be no harm to put a safe-release collar on your cat with a tag to say he's chipped. Most people if they came across a stray cat wouldn't think to check for a chip.

I love the Identitag plastic tags - they're hardwearing, very easy to read, and are made of strong, hard plastic so they're much lighter than metal ones. Here's one of my foster kittens from last year modelling his Identitag so you can see how small they are. They arrive quickly, postage cost is minimal and they're inexpensive. I get them for my dogs as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/limerickdogs/2852115936/in/set-72157604862734082/

Advertisement