Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish bands in Berlin

Options
  • 30-09-2009 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

So it seems quite popular for Irish bands to move over to Berlin to write/record/conquer the world.

Just wondering if anybody knows of any bands that went over? I kept coming across mentions of bands for the last few years but never took any real note, but now I need ze info. Le sigh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Off the top of my head, i know Wallis Bird spent alot of time in Germany. Splits her time now between there and london.

Eh i did know of a couple of Irish bands in Germany but for the life of me i cant think right now. It will come to me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

Gestammel Orchestrar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Humanzi are over there. Remember them? Michael Knight cut his chops there too. His first album was a-mazing.

I dunno. Apparently a couple of years it was the place to go. Places paid you a handsome fee for gigs, there were always crowds, it's liberal, the venues aren't full of drunks but full of people who want to hear music. A few people I know who were there said it was like what they imagined London to be like in the 60's or New York in the 70's. A real sense of solidarity between artists, an encouraged artistic community. Rents were so cheap on shops and stuff there were people renting out retail units just to put up art installations.

That being said, it was probably idealised a bit, and in any case it sounds to have reached it's apex. The high watermark can be seen, and the wave has rolled back. As it were.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Whipping Boy i think went there... not 100% but pretty sure i remmeber them moving there for a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

potlatch wrote: »
    Gestammel Orchestrar.

Are they an Irish band?

• Advertisement

So far I've got You're Only Massive, Wallis Bird, Humanzi and a band called Reamonn, but I know there are more bands but I just can't think of them.
    I need this for a final year project so any help will be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Royseven

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Royseven

Really? Excellent, keep 'em coming

Advertisement