Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Cox answers Boards.ie questions about the Lisbon Treaty

Options
  • 30-09-2009 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Opportunist that I am, on the way back from interviewing Eamon Ryan today, I saw the Ireland For Europe press call at St Stephen's Green and I nabbed Pat Cox, Director of Ireland for Europe and former president of the European Parliament to answer questions about the Treaty as posed to Eamon Ryan and Joe Costello and here's what he had to say:

Apologies for dodgy sound and camera angles!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rebelmind

I nominate Pat for an OBE, God save the Queen!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Kudos Darragh - you go out for one interview and come back with three:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Saw Pat at the UCD debate the other night. He's top notch at explaining the treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Did you interview anyone from the No Side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rebelmind

floydmoon1 wrote: »

LOL.
    You kidding
    He did say he was an opportunist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

He explained the benefits of voting YES quite well

well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

rebelmind wrote: »
    I nominate Pat for an OBE, God save the Queen!

Whats your point?? :rolleyes:

The yes side arent the ones siding with the Tories and UKIP, the big fans of the Queen ;)

Anyways back on topic, I totally disagree with Cox's neo-liberal policies but he is a very good speaker and explains the Treaty in a very accesible and easy way. Was at an Ireland for Europe talk that he gave and he pulled out the Alive magazine to many peoples suprise. He really did show the hypocrisy of that magazine and he went up in my estimation by the fact he doesn't bow to Catholic crazies like many Irish politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

As an admin of Lisbon Treaty answers I think this is a fair request.

free-man wrote: »

Yes get hold of Ganley (apparently hes the spokesman for the who NO side according to certain posters)

we boardsies would fry him for dinner and eat him alive with tough questions!

:D

Darragh wrote: »
    Apologies for dodgy sound and camera angles!

Are you not supposed to give your opinion on this rather than just posting video links to 3rd party sites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I don't think Boards.ie is covered by the BCI tbh and if you had followed the interviews you will find only one was planned. Likewise it's good to see people talk without the hysterics of lies and misquoting the Treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Are you not supposed to give your opinion on this rather than just posting video links to 3rd party sites?

I had a thread closed yesterday for not doing this.
    Is there one law for yes voters and a different for no voters.

What a crock

He's actually arguing that if Ireland vote no and the UK vote no that Ireland will get the blame for being the catalyst for a No vote.

I've seen logic twisted but this takes the biscuit.

if you can get hold of a NO spokesperson

why not organize contact between them and boards

im sure they wouldnt be refused an interview

you know what they say, "less talking more doing, so chop chop"

boards is not REFCOM or RTE they are not obliged to serve any side

/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Saw Pat at the UCD debate the other night. He's top notch at explaining the treaty.

Doesn't Pat work as a lobbyist nowadays ? If so, then he'd obviously be very good at presenting his point of view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

It's boards worst kept secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

No one - and I've contacted as many organisations as I could - either responded to us or made themselves available. In addition, I haven't seen any of the No side out campaigning to be able to talk to to ask!!

As I say - no one got back to me. If you know anyone I can talk to, please let me know!

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Yes get hold of Ganley (apparently hes the spokesman for the who NO side according to certain posters)

we boardsies would fry him for dinner and eat him alive with tough questions!

I'll try - no promises but... I have contacted him already and got no answer...

Sorry, maybe you don't know who I am? I'm the Boards.ie Community Manager, which means part of my job is to help get great, exclusive content like this. That is me in the video there, etc. I've already discussed this with the politics moderators and they haven't said anything...

For the record, not that it should be, I am still undecided on how I'll vote.

• Advertisement

if you can get hold of a NO spokesperson

why not organize contact between them and boards

im sure they wouldnt be refused an interview

you know what they say, "less talking more doing, so chop chop"

boards is not REFCOM or RTE they are not obliged to serve any side

/

We have tried! If you can be of any help, please do let me know.

You do know I'm employed by Boards.ie Ltd as a Community Manager, yes? I don't think I'm pushing any sort of "Yes" or "No" agenda here, just presenting the questions that people were invited to ask.

Darragh wrote: »
    Sorry, maybe you don't know who I am? I'm the Boards.ie Community Manager, which means part of my job is to help get great, exclusive content like this.

That's great. Well done for getting the exclusive content.

You should definitely try to get Ganley on tape aswell, I'm sure he'd have no problem with it.

It would be interesting to get your opinion on the video, as others have noted, they've got threads closed down for not doing this as it goes against the forum charter.

That's great. Well done for getting the exclusive content.

You should definitely try to get Ganley on tape aswell, I'm sure he'd have no problem with it.

It would be interesting to get your opinion on the video, as others have noted, they've got threads closed down for not doing this as it goes against the forum charter.

why dont you contact him 093 43900 @free-man and ask him why hes not returning an invitation?

why dont you contact him 093 43900 @free-man and ask him why hes not returning an invitation?

I'd prefer to email him if you can pm me his personal address.

You obviously know him if your posting his phone number online.

But when he doesn't reply it will shatter free-man's God-like image of the man... Don't do it free-man! ;)

A practical thing like that of course would destroy the No side's big conspiracy that everyone's-against-us so obviously he won't :)

I'd prefer to email him if you can pm me his personal address.

You obviously know him if your posting his phone number online.

Thats the phone number shared by Libertas and his Company which sells military equipment to the US

you can also pm @FutureTaoiseach he is either Declan himself or very close to him

or email any of these guys > http://www.rivada.com/7130879/contactus.htm

Thats the phone number shared by Libertas and his Company which sells military equipment to the US

you can also pm @FutureTaoiseach he is either Declan himself or very close to him

or email any of these guys > http://www.rivada.com/7130879/contactus.htm

Will do.

If i get a reply I'll put you in touch.

But when he doesn't reply it will shatter free-man's God-like image of the man... Don't do it free-man! ;)

A practical thing like that of course would destroy the No side's big conspiracy that everyone's-against-us so obviously he won't :)

Only Cantona is god-like I'm afraid :P

• Advertisement

Only Cantona is god-like I'm afraid :P

Touche... ;)

Advertisement