Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth Waiting for Win7?

• 30-09-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I need a knew laptop now, I use mainly Adobe Photoshop and Premier Pro. Do you techy guys think I should wait a few weeks for a laptop that comes with Win7 and which specs should I look for in a mid priced laptop that would be able for my software??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most laptops that you can buy today with Vista Home Premium or better on them will come with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Wait, because the initial version will be plagued with some serious
    problems at launch. The early adopters are the guinea pigs to Microsoft.

A few weeks will pass, and then you can make an informed decision
    about the product. Even a solid beta can't account for bugs at launch.

Don't hand over any cash until you are satisfied the hardware is compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Naikon wrote: »

Tbh, i've ben running the RTM for the last month and haven't had a single problem with 7, i wouldn't be worried about it tbh. I have it running on 3 machines and have had no issues with hardware, despite 2 ofmy machines being 3+ years old.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

matsy1 wrote: »
    I need a knew laptop now, I use mainly Adobe Photoshop and Premier Pro. Do you techy guys think I should wait a few weeks for a laptop that comes with Win7 and which specs should I look for in a mid priced laptop that would be able for my software??

If you definitely need to be working in Photoshop and Premiere Pro (as opposed to Elements) wouldn't you be better off going for a workstation? Might well get you the same specs for less than they'd cost in a laptop, plus easier to upgrade at a later stage if you need to.

Regarding the OS, anything you buy now should provide a free upgrade to Win7. If you're concerned about software compatibility you could try and run whatever you need to use in XP Compatibility Mode, but again that'll just bump up the required specs on your system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You'll get a free upgrade with any computer you buy now but you should upgrade asap because Vista is a ball of ****e. Win7 is pretty amassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

Cheers lads, I went ahead and got an Acer 5536, AMD Athlone x2 64, ATI radeon HD 3200, 4Gb Ram, 320 GB HD, Vista HP with the upgrade to WIN7. It seemed the most powerful within my budget, so feel free to comment, it will be useful knowing more about what I bought.

I already have a desktop and am saving for an imac but needed a laptop for on the road. Ideally id have all apple products but software can be expensive if you know what I mean..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Tbh, i've ben running the RTM for the last month and haven't had a single problem with 7, i wouldn't be worried about it tbh. I have it running on 3 machines and have had no issues with hardware, despite 2 ofmy machines being 3+ years old.

'Your milage may vary', at least this is the case for most computer software.
    I am happy it works for you, but this does not invalidate the possibility of
    serious bugs considering Microsofts track record, and many hardware configs.

Chances are it won't be as bad as the WIndows XP retail back in 2001.
    We will just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Used most beta releases up to and including the RTM on both a laptop and home build desktop and have experienced virtually no issues - less than I done with Vista before hand anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Naikon wrote: »

Horse ****.

Windows 7 has been out since the beginning of August. It's only ordinary Joes that are getting access to it on the 22nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Have it on a PC (but I still use the XP partition as the primary drive) and used it through vmware on my macs and it's been far smoother then other pre-release Windows code in the past. I can't see there being many issues at launch for domestic users, most of whom are really only using office, firefox and itunes in fairness...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pcman

Ive been lucky enough to receive the full windows 7 training
    even the microsoft guy was saying how good this OS is
    and how Sh*t Vista Was

we have been testing windows 7 since Pre beta
    and the 7600 RTM build is as solid as they come
    not one issue so far im serious

its faster better and cooler than anything else microsoft has released

Advertisement