Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain a bit about Lisbon's effect on energy and environmental policy?

Options
  • 30-09-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Just a general overview of what new competences (if any) Lisbon will give the EU in the areas of energy and environment, and what competences (if any) Lisbon would take away from the EU?

For example, this is a huge fear I've heard quite often recently which sounds to me like massive scaremongering - that the EU could eventually force member states to adopt particular energy policies such as using nuclear energy or even hosting nuclear power stations. I assume this is not the case, but could anyone summarize that whole area of the treaty? It's one area which has been glossed over by most of the campaigns, with "Lisbon will introduce greater environmental protection" being about the most detailed explanation I've seen. Anyone have a good general overview?

(Once again, could I ask that we discuss the topic at hand rather than devolving into mudslinging, campaigning, or a debate about the EU itself and whether or not Ireland should be in it. Not that I don't trust everyone, but... ;) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

It would help by getting all states to bargain together when it comes to buying energy from corrupt countries like Russia
    who love switching of gas supplies to EU members to "change" their minds on paying high prices and playing each country in a bidding war against the other
    since Ireland imports most of our energy and we are at an end of a very long pipeline to the east and mayo farmers to the west :D
    energy security and prices are important! also energy costs are one of the main factors leading to Rip Of Ireland

i spent alot of time on the subject, with posts

here, here and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62072498&postcount=132

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

Just a general overview of what new competences (if any) Lisbon will give the EU in the areas of energy and environment, and what competences (if any) Lisbon would take away from the EU?

There are 2 main areas where the Lisbon Treaty relates to the environment and energy:
    1 - increased references to environmental protection
    2 - new measures in the area of energy

1. There are new references in Articles 3 and 21 (TEU) to sustainable development, the sustainable management of natural resources and the improvement (not just protection) of the environment. Article 3 refers to matters within the EU and article 21 refers to our external relations, meaning that the EU is committing itself to all these values in both arenas.

Of course there is also the famous reference to 'combating climate change' in Article 191 TFEU, thus giving proper legal basis to ongoing efforts against climate change.

[analysis]
    Such references are dismissed as vague and meaningless but going into Copenhagen, I cannot stress how important it is to have the EU working together as a bloc to compel other countries like the US, China, etc to reduce emissions. An article in Le Monde yesterday warned that Member States are already divided on how best to approach Copenhagen (http://www.lemonde.fr/archives/article/2009/09/29/l-europe-divisee-sur-les-negociations-climatiques_1246660_0.html) [/analysis]

2. Energy becomes a shared competence between the EU and member states (Article 194 TFEU). This will lead to an EU policy on energy that is coordinated and presents a united front, rather than the current situation where Russia plays us all off one another for gas.

The section on energy policy also sets out specific aims of the energy policy including:
    -a proper functioning energy market
    -security of supply
    -energy efficiency and saving
    -promotion of renewable energies
    -interconnection (vital for the success of renewables and exportation)

Just on the issue of nuclear, article 194.2 states:
    Such measures shall be adopted after consultation of the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. Such measures shall not affect a Member State's right to determine the conditions for exploiting its energy resources, its choice between different energy sources and the general structure of its energy supply

Meaning, in a nutshell, that the EU cannot force us to adopt nuclear energy.

[analysis]
    In my opinion, it is here that the strongest foundations are laid for future jobs in Ireland if Lisbon is passed. EU policy is a major driver for the green economy already in Ireland. Objectives like the promotion of renewable energy and efficiency will require massive investment and legislative changes, thus providing the regulatory framework, market incentives and credit for the green economy to grow.

The other major area, imo, is energy security. [/analysis]

I have written 3 articles on this topic for Gen YES :

The Lisbon Treaty and the Environment
    Energy Security (very short piece)
    The Lisbon Treaty and Green Jobs

Advertisement