Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body recovered from River Lee

Options
  • 30-09-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

The body of a young student has been recovered from the River Lee in Cork.
    The 22-year-old is believed to have got into difficulty while attempting to swim to a dinghy in the middle of the river at around 4am.
    A friend, who was watching from the quayside, swam to his aid but the young man had already disappeared from sight.

The body was recovered by the emerency services from the water at Pope's Quay shortly after 8am this morning.
    A post mortem examination will be carried out at Cork University Hospital.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0930/cork.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

it wasn't me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

that was my best mate. rip shane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Very sad news.
    I feel bad for the people who put the boat in the river too. They can't have imagined something like this would be the result!
    Was he a UCC/CIT student?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Sorry to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

Really sorry to hear it was an awful tragedy, the poor lad that was with him must be in bits poor guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Very sad news.
    I feel bad for the people who put the boat in the river too. They can't have imagined something like this would be the result!

Ironically, the boat had "Jesus Saves" banners on it afaik. It shouldn't have been there at all cluttering up the river imo.

It sounds like a silly student prank gone wrong. RIP to the young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

It's all very sad. His poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

The boat was put there by a group of brothers to aid against people taking their lives i.e. You could rescue them quicker if they did jump in.

I presume he was langers? It is a real shame though, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

DamienH wrote: »
    The boat was put there by a group of brothers to aid against people taking their lives i.e. You could rescue them quicker if they did jump in.

Really? That's a bit random, isn't it? I mean, shouldn't they research safety issues like that more thoroughly - they seem to have failed completely there.

• Advertisement

I heard it on the radio, Newstalk I think, they had one of the brothers on and all. He'd gotten permission from the council and I suppose they can't really be criticised for trying to do something. It was a big beacon of conquest for twisted students though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

that's really sad :( r.i.p

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

So was the boat there for people to jump into and row out to people that had jumped/fallen in?
    Or
    Was it there to advertise 'Jesus save' to people contemplating jumping in? or what like?

RIP fella.

First one, that's what the brother said on the radio anyway. Jesus saves was secondary I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

DamienH wrote: »

I presume he was langers? It is a real shame though, RIP.

I dont accept that it was a rescue boat - I think it was misguided - Cork city at 3.30 am is full of people willing to take a challenge.

Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Any pics of the boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

It certainly wasn't any sort of 'rescue boat'. It was a small wooden boat being used as advertising more than anything else. It was moored in the centre of the channel so it could not have served as a rescue boat.
    Perhaps it could have aided keeping someone afloat if they ended up in the water, but it wasn't a lifeboat or anything like that.

Sorry, I was wrong about the rescue boat. It was just something that could put a message in the water, there's an article about it on page 7 of the Cork Independent. That's what you get for listening to radio in bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

A sad an unfortunate occurrence, my condolences to his family and friends... and there is no point blaming the guys who put the boat there either, it is just one of these things that happens sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

thanks for all the condolences guys. its an extremely tough time. he had a few pints on board alright, but nothing too excessive. just a prank that turned sour unfortunately. everyone is still shaking their heads in shock. it has really opened my eyes and i can completely feel the pain of all the other people in this country who have lost loved ones so suddenly. it really makes you wonder...poor lad was only 22.

• Advertisement
Advertisement