Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heritage week/Pixie Photo comp - did not win -totally gutted!!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

humberklog wrote: »
    Gotta agree here, that's some confidence to have about a pic of swans.

Back on topic...does it smart being beaten by a girl Valentia?

Take you to notice that, I didn't.

delly wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the below pic fits perfectly into the above guideline if you ask me, considering the where and the why of the event it was taken at.

Ah right, so water being such a big part of our heritage and all like? Aren't we such a unique little place alright? Or is it the "Fairy" liquid? Now I get it!! Damn, but I'm slow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Valentia wrote: »
    Take you to notice that, I didn't.

Yeahhh rriiight!!:pac:

Mind you I do think the winning photo was good in the context of the comp. I don't get the prob with the Man Utd. jersey either. The pic is quite descriptive of the event; picnic table with play items, jotter in the girl's hand and people looking at and enjoying what she's doing. It's a simple, clever snap.
    I did like yours too but this one has more connectivity in my eyes.

Yeahhh rriiight!!:pac:

Mind you I do think the winning photo was good in the context of the comp. I don't get the prob with the Man Utd. jersey either. The pic is quite descriptive of the event; picnic table with play items, jotter in the girl's hand and people looking at and enjoying what she's doing. It's a simple, clever snap.
    I did like yours too but this one has more connectivity in my eyes.

I quite like the photo and it is all that you say. If it was a general open competition. But what has it got to do with our heritage? It would fit a "Science Week" type thing perfectly and many others. I wouldn't really criticise the shot as a shot. Smiley happy people. Lovely.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I quite like the photo and it is all that you say. If it was a general open competition. But what has it got to do with our heritage? It would fit a "Science Week" type thing perfectly and many others. I wouldn't really criticise the shot as a shot. Smiley happy people. Lovely.

I get what your saying but think you've taken hold of the heritage part too strongly as opposed to people enjoying themselves and connecting during Heritage Week, if you get my drift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I'm sorry, but the below pic fits perfectly into the above guideline if you ask me, considering the where and the why of the event it was taken at.

GetImage.aspx?id=8025556c-a87f-400a-8f34-3de764937bef&width=400&height=400

Two out of three guidelines fulfilled, but I also fail to see the heritage bit:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭outspann

Am I missing something here? I'm not too concerned with whether the subject of the bubble photo really has anything to do with heritage, but I've looked at it quite a few times now, and I still don't think it's that great a photo.

Sure, it's "grand", but a competition winner?

Yes, it captures a moment, and could take pride of place at the front of somebody's holiday album. I'm just not convinced that it should have won a competition. I'd like to think that a 'competition winner' should both capture a moment AND be technically proficient. It's not even that it's a snapshot: Eggleston takes snapshots, Nachtwey takes snapshots. They capture a moment but then they go just that little bit further. And it's that little bit extra that makes them great. I know there's no point in comparing the entries in one little competition with world renowned artists, but we've got to aspire, don't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I only ever entered 2 competitions, I entered an fm104 competition which was my first ever and won, I was completely shocked and the other was the spwc, my image seemed to get high enough in the rankings but lost out. I didnt actually enter anymore after that I found there is a huge amount of photos entered into these competitions that I would disregard completely, but due to something that a non photographer would find 'cool' such as this bubble a lot of great photography goes ignored.

Mind you if i came across a competition with a greast prize such as cabainsails mac I would be inclined to give it another go. It is disappointing though to see something on the winners list which has nothing photograpically correct about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think that picture represents our new heritage totally !!!

You know the bursting property bubble!!! (Sorry feeling bitter I checked how much the apartment I bought is going for at the moment and I am suffering from shock! :D).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Ah right, so water being such a big part of our heritage and all like? Aren't we such a unique little place alright? Or is it the "Fairy" liquid? Now I get it!! Damn, but I'm slow.
    My god, how many lemons does it take to be so bitter? Seriously, its a gathering of people young and old, out on the green sod experimenting at the lifetime lab open day. They did say to be imaginative.
    Covey wrote: »
    Two out of three guidelines fulfilled, but I also fail to see the heritage bit:confused:
    Well i'd say its moreso in the context of the event that the picture was taken.

Mind you if i came across a competition with a greast prize such as cabainsails mac I would be inclined to give it another go.

Absolutely. That's the only criteria I use when entering competitions. The €700 Landmark Trust voucher in this competition was nice. I'll probably take a break in one of their lighthouse locations anyway so their association with the competition has worked in my case anyway.

My god, how many lemons does it take to be so bitter? Seriously, its a gathering of people young and old, out on the green sod experimenting at the lifetime lab open day. They did say to be imaginative.

Well i'd say its moreso in the context of the event that the picture was taken.

Bitter? I'm afraid you are misreading my mood completely. Your interpretation of it being imaginative is just ridiculous and a cop out. Using that "logic" anything can be justified. As I said if it was a Science Week shot OK but it wasn't. Just shows tho', logic ia a strange beast :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Bitter? I'm afraid you are misreading my mood completely.

Apologises then, i've obviously failed to pick up on your tongue-in-cheek posts. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

My god, how many lemons does it take to be so bitter?

Knowing Valentia, I'd say he's more of an elder lemon than a bitter lemon :D;):p

I'm finished with this one. Now to scour the internet for a few more lucrative competitions :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'm finished with this one. Now to scour the internet for a few more lucrative competitions :pac:

Ha. I read this initially as 'sour the internet for a few more lucrative competitions' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

OP i agree with you and i dont normally agree with people giving out that they didnt win competitions.

it brings me back to the days when i was a kid in primary school and the competition was the credit union drawing competetion and the theme was communtiy spirit.

some little pricks mother drew a picture of a skeleton and wrote make no bones about it and they won the first prize.

so i end with this - dont bother applying for any competitions in ireland. anyone who runs anything in this country is usually retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Gotta agree here, that's some confidence to have about a pic of swans.

Back on topic...does it smart being beaten by a girl Valentia?

did a swan attack you when you were a little child?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

nilhg wrote: »
    The acorn would have fitted the theme quite well Kildare = Cill Dara = Oak Church, take a look at the Kildare county crest pride of place to the Oak Tree.

Good man John. I never knew that either :) So it did meet the theme then. Thats put me in my place!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Ballyman wrote: »
    Good man John. I never knew that either :) So it did meet the theme then. Thats put me in my place!!

theres also a horse in it and I had horses in 2 of the my 4 entries!
    f3fc9850adb2a89d476407e94d804740.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

stevoman wrote: »
    it brings me back to the days when i was a kid in primary school and the competition was the credit union drawing competetion and the theme was communtiy spirit.

some little pricks mother drew a picture of a skeleton and wrote make no bones about it and they won the first prize.

Reminds me of an occasion of a young-un 'winning' a drawing competition with a presentation by a large local political figure - this was like winning the xfactor on a local scale.

As the presentation drew near the poor little young-un became a wee bit pale - the occasion was getting too much for her when she saw lots of people dressed in suits there to pour praise out on her. Lined up for the photo op and with photographer flashing away, so the young-un says to the 'official' presiding over the joyful occasion - "excuse me mister, I didn't really drew the picture. It was my brother" to which the official responded "shut up and smile, you did great".

Scarily true story folks. It does put 'competitions' in perspective though.

Sure you'd have to smile :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

My picture finished runner-up to the bubble. Delighted to win a prize.
    Bit odd though that the mother and daughter combination both came from a single pixie user, who signed up on 9th. June and hasn't logged on since. How can one pixie be two people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Ballyman wrote: »

There you are, you learn something new every day.

And I thought you cute Kerry fellas never missed a trick.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

nilhg wrote: »
    There you are, you learn something new every day.

And I thought you cute Kerry fellas never missed a trick.:p

Shur thats the problem, I'm only a blow in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Looks like the clothing would have gone down well with the judges anyway :)

Should have used the two lads with the horn (I can't type it any other way no pun intened!!) 50 times better than kids with a feckin bubble, at least mine had some sort of heritage stuff going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

I'm absolutely amazed I didn't win this competition. What the **** is going on? Don't the people who judge these things know the least shagging thing about photography? Jasus H Christ!!!

The winners are here.

Seriously though, I'm still trying to figure out what a bubble has to do with our heritage. In fact the criteria that they laid down for the competition seem to have been ignored when it came to judgeing.

haha thats hilarious

kanye west eat your heart out!

you didnt cut it, deal with it lol

T-rev wrote: »
    you didnt cut it, deal with it lol

I'll try. It isn't easy you know? Not easy at all. Treatment is helping. I think.Time is the best healer I'm told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

That's only for a broken heart...or so I'm led to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

stevoman wrote: »
    so i end with this - dont bother applying for any competitions in ireland. anyone who runs anything in this country is usually retarded.

Or the winner's a first cousin :pac:

No, but all bitterness aside (I can't be bitter, I didn't enter this competition, nor have I entered any in a while - apart from that Ruby Card yoke, but I don't know what's happening with that), you've got to realise that competitions like this are all about marketing, if they can show a family winning a competition from a picture anyone can take, they'll chose that over two swans drifting up a foggy brook, or a lone tree in dusk light.

It's going to appeal to the masses more - "Hey look, that's Jimmy's young fellah" - You get me, yeah!?

If you're going to enter a competition, check who's sponsoring it, how they're advertising it, and who's judging it. If it's all about the family/every day person, chances are you won't win it. If it's judged by your camera-club enthusiasts, just enter any old cliche, they'll love it. If it's judged by panels of award winning whatever's, it'll probably be a higher standard.

I haven't entered, but the BJP's annual big competition's deadlines have been extended til next week I think. It's probably more up a lot of people here's alley, even if there is a small fee to enter. Some nice prizes too.

Advertisement