Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re: Suitability for Jailbreaking/Unlocking 2g iPhone

Options
  • 30-09-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I have just got my hands on an iPhone 2G which I got a good deal on. I have a 3GS myself and bought this one for my mother as she was so impressed with mine.She would not need a 3GS as she wouldn't use all the features anyway. This phone has not been unlocked/jailbroken and I stupidly updated it through iTunes a couple of days ago.

Now, does this mean that because I updated it to the newest firmware, I can no longer unlock it? I don't want her tied to an 18 month contract for a 2G and if she was going to be locked to a contract, she might aswell get the 3GS.

Can this still be unlocked? Could I bring it to one of the shops in Dublin that unlock iPhones? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Cheers for the smart reply. Just thought that there may be a way to unlock it because it is a 2G rather than a 3G or 3GS.

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

You can unlock the 2G pretty much "for life" now as Apple don't update the 2G baseband anymore.

You used to be able to use PwnageTool on the Mac. I think redsn0w might be the latest one to use (for both platforms).

Best place to check is http://blog.iphone-dev.org.

Vinny.

Thanks Vinny. Guess it is possible if the place I bring it to get unlocked has a Mac (using Vista myself). I presume if they are unlocking iPhones, they will have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Cheers for the smart reply. Just thought that there may be a way to unlock it because it is a 2G rather than a 3G or 3GS.

Apologies.

Smart, yes, but did you actually read the link? It gave instructions on how to jailbreak!!

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Smart, yes, but did you actually read the link? It gave instructions on how to jailbreak!!

Fair enough Chris. Wasn't quite what I was after, but found out what I wanted in the end. Thanks anyway.

Advertisement