Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend in Mullingar

Options
  • 30-09-2009 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Have a voucher for a 2 night break in Bloomfield House. Don't know the area or the hotel, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the place? Website looks ok, reviews are mixed.
    Also any recommendations for places to eat/ drink?
    Thanks! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maroongael

Bloomfield House Hotel is lovely. Its set against Lough Ennel which makes it a hugely popular hotel for weddings. It has a decent leisure centre with a pool. Restaurant is great too. Only drawback is that it is about 5 mins drive outside of the town on the Tullamore road.

In the town itself you are absolutely spoiled for places to eat. Oscars and Ilia both very nice in the middle of town but prob need to be booked in advance at the weekend. Nice Italian Pastabella, 2 fab Indians next door to each other Saagar and Silver Oak. Amber Court a very popular chinese. Annebrook and Greville also very nice hotel restaurants in the middle of town. As for pubs the list is endless. My personal recommendation would be Canton Caseys on the square you'll also get your visit to Joe Dolans statue in as its just outside. Depending on your scene can guarantee you'll find a pub you like.

Any more info needed no prob.

Don't work for tourist office honestly just love my home town. Enjoy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 heyho

Thanks so much, that's really helpful. Saagar - is that the same Saagar that's in Dublin?
    Any feedback on the spa in the hotel?
    In relation to pubs, both early 40's with small kids looking for a nice pub without loud music and 18 yr olds snogging the face off each other. You know, somewhere for a chat and a decent pint for the man and a decent glass of wine for me?

Yes the Saagar is one and the same. Mullingar is the original restaurant and then the family expanded in Athlone and Harcourt St.

As for drinks the Annebrook Hotel is a lovely comfortable place and child friendly too. The Greville Arms is ok too a little run down in comparison to the Annebrook now though. It is right in the middle of town beside the Town Park. There are some lovely boutiques in Mullingar if you fancied some shopping, not so much in the line of usual high street chains but I think this is a good thing!

If the weather is nice when you are in town you should definately try to make a trip to Belevedere house and gardens. It is beautiful and very popular with children. Its on the way into town from Bloomfield fairly reasonable family admission ticket

Advertisement