Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two questions re: learner driver

• 30-09-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

From the RSA website:

Requirements/limitations on your driving with a provisional licence:

Accompaniment:
    You are required to be accompanied by a person holding a full driving licence for the category of vehicle being driven. The only exceptions to this are when:

driving a car on the basis of a second provisional licence;
    driving a work vehicle, e.g. agricultural tractor;
    riding a motorcycle;
    you hold a current certificate of competency to drive for the category of vehicle being driven.
    You may not act as an accompanying driver, i.e. holder of a full licence, for a person driving with a provisional licence. It is not sufficient to have a certificate of competency to drive.

http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/preparing.html
    Does that mean I can drive alone on my second learner permit and not on my third? Just a bit confused as to the wording..

One other thing; will you be asked to reverse around a corner on the opposite side of the road? Means you would be reversing onto oncoming traffic (who are coming to a yield) I think it's mighty dangerous but it is something i want clarified with someone....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

This was an old situation, where on the second provisional license you could drive alone

But now provisionals are no longer issued, its a learner permit, on which you must be accomapanied regardless of what license it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Be handy if they update they website:)
    Thanks though! I cheekily hoped i had found a loophole...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This was an old situation, where on the second provisional license you could drive alone

But now provisionals are no longer issued, its a learner permit, on which you must be accomapanied regardless of what license it is

+1, That page is well out of date. It's a disgrace tbh. But as said, Provisional Licenses are no longer being issued, it is only Learner Permits, and the last of the Provisional licenses should be expiring in the next month.
    You must be accompanied by someone who has held a license in the relevant category for at least 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

will you be asked to reverse around a corner on the opposite side of the road?
    Despite popular myth, technically speaking, you won't be asked to "reverse around a corner". It is officially known as a reversing manoeuvre. The examiner will bring you past a road to your left. He will then ask you to pull into the side of the road. He may ask some questions here. He will then request that you demonstrate a reversing manoeuvre by reversing into the road you have just passed.

In a category B test, you will only be requested to do a nearside reverse (i.e. the kerb will be on your left). As far as I am aware, the only time that a driver may be requested to demonstrate an off-side reverse in in an articulated truck test.

Means you would be reversing onto oncoming traffic (who are coming to a yield) I think it's mighty dangerous but it is something i want clarified with someone....
    The reversing manoeuvre assesses the driver's ability to maintain complete control over the vehicle using the clutch, foot brake, accelerator, hand brake and steering wheel while keeping resonably close to the kerb and being aware of everything going on around.

You may think it's dangerous but, if done correctly, there is no reason why it should be. It's usually done at a YIELD sign and traffic approaching should be slowing down anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Excellent info, thank you very much for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Despite popular myth, technically speaking, you won't be asked to "reverse around a corner". It is officially known as a reversing manoeuvre. The examiner will bring you past a road to your left. He will then ask you to pull into the side of the road. He may ask some questions here. He will then request that you demonstrate a reversing manoeuvre by reversing into the road you have just passed.

In a category B test, you will only be requested to do a nearside reverse (i.e. the kerb will be on your left). As far as I am aware, the only time that a driver may be requested to demonstrate an off-side reverse in in an articulated truck test.

The reversing manoeuvre assesses the driver's ability to maintain complete control over the vehicle using the clutch, foot brake, accelerator, hand brake and steering wheel while keeping resonably close to the kerb and being aware of everything going on around.

You may think it's dangerous but, if done correctly, there is no reason why it should be. It's usually done at a YIELD sign and traffic approaching should be slowing down anyway.

One question about reversing, is one permitted to adjust their wing mirrors before reversing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

One question about reversing, is one permitted to adjust their wing mirrors before reversing?

yes. Feel free to stop and take the time to do so if you think it will help you. Make sure to adjust your mirrors back once you've completed the reversing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I did, I stopped and put the passenger side mirror aiming down so I could see the kerb. I believe you can also have your seatbelt off for this part to help you looking over your shoulder. (check that though).

Just make sure you put your mirror back after you finish. With all the nerves it can be forgotten. Although my tester did it for me. He was a nice guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

With the reverse just make sure you're looking around. If someone approaches on the road you're reversing into, it's often best to return to your starting position to allow them out, though they will sometimes go around. If someone approaches on the road you're reversing from, stop and wait for them to pass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement