Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help I need to get broadband signal 120mtrs from phone

• 30-09-2009 9:37pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

I am planning to get eircom broadband in the house, but, I need to know if I can buy a device that can make the signal travel 120metres to my studio workspace.

Can this be done or will this work sucessfully?

What do I need to buy?

Cost involved?

I can't afford another phone line :(:(

Thanks in advance lads and ladies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

http://www.wifirepeater.net/

Ah yes, I'm a man of few words :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Big Lar wrote: »
    http://www.wifirepeater.net/

Ah yes, I'm a man of few words :D
    the spelling on that website is terrible. i don't know if i'd trust them to extend the wange of my wouter! :pac:

you *could* probably run an ethernet cable that far without too many problems. officially the maximum distance of a run of ethernet is supposed to be 100m, but you *should* be able to push it to 120m with decent enough cable and not notice any difference. (notice the use of could and should, that's not a guarantee).

another option (for a 1 PC connection) would be to get two directional antenna's, one for your router and one for your PC's wireless card and just point them at each other. any half decent directional antenna should have enough juice to create a solid connection.

if you're looking for more than 1 PC at the far end you could get 2 routers and create a wireless bridge between them using directional antennas.

you might even be able to get powerline ethernet adapters to work if the studio is on the same circuit as the house, but again, there are no guarantees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

vibe666 wrote: »

another option (for a 1 PC connection) would be to get two directional antenna's, one for your router and one for your PC's wireless card and just point them at each other. any half decent directional antenna should have enough juice to create a solid connection.

You can do this on the cheap. http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/default.htm

Here is my one.
    IMG_0073.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

in order of reliability...

first try running a wire, about 300m of cable
    will cost about 50e,
    easy to fit

second set up 2 nano stations on poles you will need to run 2 cables one from router to nano, and one from nano to pc.
    Will cost about e150,
    difficult to do

Third try the home plug adaptors
    cost e70,
    easy to do, but may not work!

forth try a wireless extender half way between pc and router
    cost e50,
    medium difficult

fifth try directional antennas
    cost e30,
    easy to do

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Thanks for the help but some of it a bit technical mukki..
    I really need something that works.....
    Are these any good?
    are they akward to set up?
    any of these in particular you would reccomend?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID...s|14573047.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Option 1

Run telephone extension to studio , dsl works at 15000 feet so what is another 300 on top of that . :)

Option 2

Homeplug aka Powerline ( Solwise are a good brand) if you have power from the house to the studio ( not on separate meter) range 100m + plug one in at bb modem and plug one in at studio and plug network cables in both ends and that is it , no more setup.

Option 3

Wireless...unless the studio is not line of sight from the house

Advertisement