Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COCKY H.M.V STAFF!!

Options
  • 30-09-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Is it me or are the staff in any HMV the cockiest, up there own arses, 'i know everything about music and movies and you know nothing', staff you've ever come across. Working in HMV is no different to working in Dunnes or Tesco, its a mass retailer!! I could maybe understand someone in an independent store being like that, but i don't need some 20 year student with pink hair, judging my music taste. Its in every store! Whats the deal? Anyone else agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Humanhank wrote:
    Its in every store! Whats the deal? Anyone else agree

Why were they judging your music taste? What brought that on?

Haven't experienced anything like that myself; not from an independent store anyway. Purchasing from HMV is bad kids! You've got to support the independent stores who give the small Irish bands a chance to step up to the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

You're gotta support which ever shop will give you the best price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Humanhank

I was just minding my own business looking for the Natty Dread album by bob marley when an assistant packing beside me just laughed and said reggae music is for old people! And then tried to convince me to buy the new Paramore album. I work in a supermarket, and if any of my staff insulted a customers taste i'd go mad! My friend owns his own music shop in london and he's built up his customer loyalty through valid criticism but not telling them you must be old if you listen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Are you serious?

You asked for reggae and he suggested some mini rocker band?

You should have told him to save his laughter for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've always thought the HMV staff are very helpful. I was in there earlier on and they were very polite. They told me about their offers but politely and quietly accepted my disinterest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Humanhank

I didn't even ask for an opinion i was just given it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Most music stores nowadays seem to me to be staffed with college dropouts with dyed hair and pierced eyebrows/lips. They never seem to have an opinion either way on the music that I purchase. If I bought Daniel O'Donnell's new album, they wouldn't give two fiddler's fucks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Humanhank wrote: »
    I was just minding my own business looking for the Natty Dread album by Bob Marley when an assistant packing beside me just laughed and said reggae music is for old people! And then tried to convince me to buy the new Paramore album.

Three words: "Manager. Right now".

I worked in HMV Grafton Street in the nineties, and there's no way that type of thing would be tolerated. Obviously, he's not indicative of the entire staff there - he's just some smartmouth - but he needs to be read the riot act. Constructive advice is one thing, but that's just obnoxious. I don't like reggae myself, but I'd never be snide about someone's taste. Each to their own.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd be more insulted/amused by what he did try and get you to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Now, I know quite a few of them, so this isn't exactly unbiased, but the group of guys and girls that work in the HMV Crescent S.C. in Limerick are all lovely, good people outside of work and helpful in there. Same goes for the staff I don't know (at least the in work part). And the staff in Cruises st. have always been friendly too!

Unless you've been in every HMV in the country, OP, don't make sweeping generalisations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Is it me or are the staff in any HMV the cockiest, up there own arses, 'i know everything about music and movies and you know nothing', staff you've ever come across.

I do though ;)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'd have told him if it wasn't for the fact that HMV were hiring it was likely your only other form of interaction would be when he asked if you'd like fries with that, the cocky little bollox.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Three words: "Manager. Right now".

I worked in HMV Grafton Street in the nineties, and there's no way that type of thing would be tolerated. Obviously, he's not indicative of the entire staff there - he's just some smartmouth - but he needs to be read the riot act. Constructive advice is one thing, but that's just obnoxious. I don't like reggae myself, but I'd never be snide about someone's taste. Each to their own.

I wonder if I worked with you so?! I worked in HMV Grafton Street in 1995 until early 1996... I was a young raver at the time and told all the older people who came in looking for rock, pop and jazz that they should really buy the latest techno release :pac:

Seriously though, I never experience that type of attitude in HMV and if I did I would laugh it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

when an assistant packing beside me just laughed and said reggae music is for old people! And then tried to convince me to buy the new Paramore album.

Are you not over reacting just a little here ?? :confused: Seems like a harmless jibe to me. If I had a euro for every time I was slagged off over my taste in music, I could buy the entire stock of HMV :D (not that I would ).

If you are really confident in what you like, and a dedicated music lover, then this harmless teasing should not get to you. Life is too short..... Get over it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I was in Strawberry Records in Boston a few years ago. A great, great shop. The staff were exceptionally polite, and also enjoyed friendly banter about the artists that you had purchased. It was a lovely experience compared to some of the sour-faced oul cynics that I see behind the counter in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

I was just minding my own business looking for the Natty Dread album by bob marley when an assistant packing beside me just laughed and said reggae music is for old people! And then tried to convince me to buy the new Paramore album. I work in a supermarket, and if any of my staff insulted a customers taste i'd go mad! My friend owns his own music shop in london and he's built up his customer loyalty through valid criticism but not telling them you must be old if you listen to that.

Fcuking hell, I'd have punched him in the face. How did you respond?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Shocking! I would have recommended the new Brand New album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Advising you to buy Paramore instead of Bob Marley?? You should have knocked the ****er out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I find the staff in HMV in Cork very nice and helpful and interested in what they are selling. :) High Fidelity indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've never had any real problems myself in HMV. I'd say you're more likely to get the snobby stuck up pretentious attitude if you went into some other well known clothes shop on Grafton St, or any bar on Dawson St.

If HMV really bothers you, next time you are there, just tell them you are in there so you can check out a few CD's for free and then you're heading home to buy them for half the price online (including delivery) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Is it me or are the staff in any HMV the cockiest, up there own arses, 'i know everything about music and movies and you know nothing', staff you've ever come across. Working in HMV is no different to working in Dunnes or Tesco, its a mass retailer!! I could maybe understand someone in an independent store being like that, but i don't need some 20 year student with pink hair, judging my music taste. Its in every store! Whats the deal? Anyone else agree?

I usually only find that attitude among the staff in "Indie" record stores, tbh, never in HMV. I just hand over the cash and get out as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

"Reggae's for old people is it? Well your mam seemed to enjoy it last night!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

what cds did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

im into all kinds of music, but mainly rock/hard rock and allways thini its funny seein the odd look when you buy a house/trance/techno album when wearing a band tshirt... but sayin bob is for old ppl thats mad!!! the man was and still a legend!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Reggae is not for old people. Its for people who occasionally like to relax and not hear other people scream.

You should have had a go at him, i know i would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Same dude probably has Legend on his iPod so he can show off at house parties how he's down with the revolution!

Nice choice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

I went into HMV to buy the Bealtes White Album, and being a student, I went up and asked if they still did the student discount. It's printed on the back of the travelcard leaflet, but he said they didn't do it anymore in his own eloquent way : '' Naw bud dont do em any more '' without even looking at me. I don't mind being told that an offer's ended or whatever, but I was actually so unconvinced by this guy I went back into him after I had bought it just to make sure- the guy on the other till sort of looked at him as if to say : '' You can do it, just tell him it's not available anymore, don't screw up! ''

That annoyed me, but a few days later I went back into HMV to look for some DVDs, and the guy up stairs was really helpful in looking through the computer for some film names, so it's like any workplace, there are some people who are better at their job than others. The first guy just pissed me off because I could do his job some much better than he could!

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

laughed and said reggae music is for old people!.

thank god for HMV staff. Now I know for sure I'm officially old.
    Little pip-squeak I hope you gave him a good ould old person ranting lecture........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I had two polar opposite HMV staff experiences the other day...

Went into HMV Grafton St. I was looking for a cable for a macbook. There was some Jack L instore on (pretty painful) and no staff seemed to be knocking about. So I went up to the til (it was in the downstairs section) and went to the side to ask the guy who wasn't actually on the till. He just ignored me standing there and walked off. I waited until the guy at the counter had finished serving the only customer in the queue and tried to ask him a question. He just pointed down at the space in front of the till. I was about to speak again when he twirled his fingers in some little hand motion and pointed down at the spot again. So frustrated I walked down and around the partition yoke and back up, ending up about 5 inches from where I started. I asked him if they sold firewire cables and he just shook his head once to say no. He didn't bother opening his mouth once.
    This lad is what I'd describe as the stereotype of a HMV employee (Grafton St. anyhows) with too much gel in his hair and an aire of being cooler than thou.

In the Dundrum branch I asked a delightful girl the same question, she had no clue but got me someone who could help. He then explained why they didn't have what I was looking for and started recommending other shops in the centre that may have what I was looking for. Great customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Had an encouraging experience with HMV staff in Liffey Valley over the weekend, so I thought I'd share.

I was just mooching around, not looking for anything in particular. One of the staff was putting CDs into the rack as I was flicking idly through them, and I noticed he was trying to read the front of my t-shirt. I was wearing a t-shirt from the current Marillion tour, and he said "oh, you know they have a new CD that came out last week?". You have no idea how impressed I was to hear this! An HMV staffer knowing about Marillion, whatever next!? To be fair, he looked a bit older than the usual angst-ridden emo kid that works there, but still...

Advertisement