Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COCKY H.M.V STAFF!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Very impressive by HMV standards.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have no idea who Paramore are.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ninwilky

Personally ive never had any grief in Grafton Street. I've fairly conflicted music tastes and often find myself buying some strange combination like paramore and some black metal bands latest album, or maybe gojira [death metal] and foo fighters and generally the employee reaction is just to serve you as fast as possible. In Henry street, downstairs anyways, ive found the staff to be extremely friendly. From all the times ive gone to that paticular shop, be it for cds or 2 weeks ago to help my friend get her xbox ive always had a friendly reception in there. one girl even started chatting away to me cause she saw my student card. I think Henry street has a much better atmosphere and attitude amongst the staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

All the suggested ripostes are a bit complicated.

What's wrong with a simple fuck off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

stovelid wrote: »
    What's wrong with a simple fuck off?

Jaysus !!.. but you are all very thin skinned here :p

What's wrong with "laugh it off" :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rigsby wrote: »
    What's wrong with "laugh it off" :confused:

There's no swear in it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Humanhank wrote: »
    I was just minding my own business looking for the Natty Dread album by bob marley when an assistant packing beside me just laughed and said reggae music is for old people! And then tried to convince me to buy the new Paramore album. I work in a supermarket, and if any of my staff insulted a customers taste i'd go mad! My friend owns his own music shop in london and he's built up his customer loyalty through valid criticism but not telling them you must be old if you listen to that.

Sure isnt it better than the staff ignoring you completely ? Whether you like their opinion or not its better than them grunting at you.

Perhaps the staff member was trying to make conversation ? God forbid that should happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

spongeman wrote: »
    God forbid that should happen.

Actually yes. I personally don't like people at the tills striking up a conversation with customers. It always leads to queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I had to DJ a wedding recently (I'd only ever do it for a friend) and needed to buy a load of typical wedding music to keep everyone happy! Went to HMV Graffton St. and found in the basement the compilation section and spent 10 minutes flicking through some of the rubbish record companies stick on these things.

Ended up with about 5 mixes with the likes of ABBA, Girls Aloud, Beyonce and the latest Black Eyed Peas single. It took about 10 minutes to wait for the queue to clear so nobody would see me buying it all. When it was clear I popped up and and at the last minute threw in a book about zombies to try and make myself a little respectable. Turns out it just made me look weird!

Anyway the girl at the till had a great laugh about it all (with me).

I've never had any problems with HMV staff. Always found them helpful. Maybe you should change the title of your post so you're not painting everyone with the one brush?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

There was some Jack L instore on (pretty painful)

Oi! - that was me playing the piano! You could have at least have said hello...

- Dara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Is it me or are the staff in any HMV the cockiest, up there own arses, 'i know everything about music and movies and you know nothing', staff you've ever come across. Working in HMV is no different to working in Dunnes or Tesco, its a mass retailer!! I could maybe understand someone in an independent store being like that, but i don't need some 20 year student with pink hair, judging my music taste. Its in every store! Whats the deal? Anyone else agree?

Back in the (earlyish) 90's one of the coolest jobs in the omniverse was to work in a retail outlet selling "music". See for example "Clerks"). This has of course changed, due in no small part to the advent of mp3s but some people are relucant to realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I have no idea who Paramore are.
    • American band.
    • Middly as talent goes.
    • First album good, second and third not so good.
    • The emo boys like them because lead singer Hayley Williams is of the female persuasion. That's why Kerrang gave them a big spread a few years ago which gave them credence, which was nothing to do with the music.
    • HMV have big posters advertising them in the windows so they want to flog lots of their CDs so I'm guessing they bought lots of boxes of them.

I think that's good enough for Mossy's "idiot's guide to Paramore".

I have great musical taste (not that that matters), am not greatly impressed with many of the NME types or the DJs that just play what they're told by the NME types (and those are the better ones) and in my free time I listen to a lot of crap too. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is it me or are the staff in any HMV the cockiest, up there own arses, 'i know everything about music and movies and you know nothing', staff you've ever come across. Working in HMV is no different to working in Dunnes or Tesco, its a mass retailer!! I could maybe understand someone in an independent store being like that, but i don't need some 20 year student with pink hair, judging my music taste. Its in every store! Whats the deal? Anyone else agree?
    I worked there and Virgin Megastore, and beforehand, I used to think a few of them came across like that too - but then I found out it's, for the most part, unintentional. Although I did get a sense all right of "music retailer is so much cooler than any other retailer".

Meh, maybe I came across that way - wouldn't have been the intention though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

I'm sure your doing something soooo much more important with your life:rolleyes:

I hope the counselling your recieving for this traumatic event will be much help in getting on with your life, that is if you've managed to get out of bed since it happened, its a tough world out there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Killinator wrote: »
    I'm sure your doing something soooo much more important with your life:rolleyes:
    Meh, maybe they are...

If you're a HMV staff member (which I suspect you are ;)) you've kinda... helped validate the OP's point. :pac:

Dudess wrote: »
    Meh, maybe they are...

If you're a HMV staff member (which I suspect you are ;)) you've kinda... helped validate the OP's point. :pac:

How have I?
    Im sorry but I object to being called a college dropout with pink hair(I dont have pink hair and am not a dropout- though I am studying in college,but I have to do something to pay my way),
    If this person was broadly painting you and the people you work with with the same brush becasue a silly incident like the one described would you just happily accept it, I doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kilkenny_kid

I was in a HMV store a few years ago looking for a The Who cd, after being inspired by CSI. Anyhoo, i could not find one, I asked this lady who was working there for assistance. She had a brief look at my ears (Im partially Deaf) She had I had no business listening to them nor any music. This upset me quiet abit, and being 16 I didn't know what to do. My teacher (as I was in bording school) sent in a letter to management, they replied with a 50 euro voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

How have I?

By replying with this:

I hope the counselling your recieving for this traumatic event will be much help in getting on with your life, that is if you've managed to get out of bed since it happened, its a tough world out there!!!

Many others (which includes customers and current/former HMV staff) who disagree with the OP, have replied to this thread with a bit of tact and useful insight to respectfully put across their points.

Unlike you. Which kind of undoes the work they did, when they suggested HMV staff aren't complete tools.

Takk wrote: »
    By replying with this:

Many others (which includes customers and current/former HMV staff) who disagree with the OP, have replied to this thread with a bit of tact and useful insight to respectfully put across their points.

Unlike you. Which kind of undoes the work they did, when they suggested HMV staff aren't complete tools.

Again, Im sorry for taking offense to the general insults thrown at me by the OP,
    But again the incident the OP refered to was a nothing incident, yet somehow it reflects on the general manner of ALL HMV staff,
    why am I required to show any respect to this person, they have just come on to a public forum and insulted a large number of people,
    I could say 'all HMV staff are great' but working for HMV that would be more than a bit biased on my behalf,
    Look at it from our perspective, plenty of people will come into the store and be complete jerks and treat the staff like doormats who have no role in this life but to serve them like the roylaty they think they are yet I dont start a thread saying that eveyone who shops in HMV are a**holes do I.;)

As per my original comment it was meant to be tongue in cheek but seriously I dont pretend to know everything about music,games or films but I'll do my best to help customers or offer opinions, it wont always be the kind of thing a customer is looking for but at least I tried!!

But if the OP is gonna make such broad opinions on groups of people like that then they shouldnt go outside, otherwise they might meet someone else they take an unreasonable disdain to and feel the need to start a new thread, possibly about the Gardai or librarians.....:pac:

Oh and Kilkenny_Kid that was poor form by the staff, I actually feel bad that someone I dont know who works for the same company would do that.:eek:

Ohhh and Takk, I'm not a tool:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

But again the incident the OP refered to was a nothing incident, yet somehow it reflects on the general manner of ALL HMV staff

And as I said, many others have agreed with you, as do I. But your original post does not constructively argue this point at all, which is what Dudess and I were implying.
    seriously I dont pretend to know everything about music,games or films but I'll do my best to help customers or offer opinions, it wont always be the kind of thing a customer is looking for but at least I tried!!

^ An attitude like this in your first post would have helped your cause much better.
    Ohhh and Takk, I'm not a tool:D

Sorry, I'm sure you're not. But maybe you can see how someone may have come to that conclusion, based on your initial post.

• Advertisement

Takk wrote: »

Sorry, I'm sure you're not. But maybe you can see how someone may have come to that conclusion, based on your initial post.

I can see that, I was just somewhat offended, and typed before thinking too much:( Fawgiveness Pwease!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

A guy I know went into the Virgin Megastore years ago to get that Radiohead dvd Meeting People is Easy. When he went to the counter to purchase said item the girl working there looked at the box and smiled. She put the dvd into the box, put it into a bag and the transaction was complete. As my friend left he thought it was strange that she kept smiling as he walked away. When he got home and took the dvd out to watch it he was surprised to find that the film It's a Wonderful Life had been placed inside the box instead.

I thought this was fairly inspired if a little cheeky. My friend saw the funny side of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I thought this was fairly inspired if a little cheeky. My friend saw the funny side of it as well.

Just as well! :D Once made the mistake of swapping "Baseketball" in for "Married With Children"...That was an awkward conversation a little later on the phone. Note: It wasn't a deliberate swap - I was picking the former up for myself but had it beside my till when serving. Oh well!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I bet you've been in real traumatic things on the airsoft killing fields. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I bet you've been in real traumatic things on the airsoft killing fields. :rolleyes:

Re what "Killinator" said :

I thought he was just being mockingly sarcastic, and was basically saying (though not in so many words) what I said in post # 16.

You are all a very touchy, serious bunch here on this forum. :D I'd hate to see your reactions if someone said/did something really bad to you. :p

Ya, Ive held dying comrades in my arms and told them it'll all be all right:rolleyes:<----SARCASTIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

iamnothim wrote: »
    Oi! - that was me playing the piano! You could have at least have said hello...

- Dara

Yeah I noticed you before Jack L, I just thought the volume was a bit mad and some of the random comments a bit cheesy. I would have stuck around if I wasn't ready to kill someone.
    Back in the (earlyish) 90's one of the coolest jobs in the omniverse was to work in a retail outlet selling "music". See for example "Clerks"). This has of course changed, due in no small part to the advent of mp3s but some people are relucant to realise this.

Why would Clerks have anything to do with selling music? ****ty lil retail store was the point there I think. Did you mean Empire Records or did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Ya, Ive held dying comrades in my arms and told them it'll all be all right:rolleyes:<----SARCASTIC

Just make sure you take the letter for the loves ones. Otherwise you're efforts are all in vain!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 N_R_G

I'd have told him he can take his useless **** and shove it where it doesn't belong.... Maybe not in those words exactly.

I could understand him suggesting Paramore if I asked for a really bad band, but if not, I'd have been a little ticked off at it.

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Just make sure you take the letter for the loves ones. Otherwise you're efforts are all in vain!

LETTER!!!, were in the digital age man, I just sent an unpersonal email correspondance :D

Advertisement