Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop with the Lies... Please!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Colpriz wrote: »
    lies are lies..how are they digusting? unless you agree with op that because she comes from a les well off area that she hasnt a mind of her own?
    Okily dokily, irrational I see, onto ignore ye go. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rebelmind

worldclass wrote: »
    What's Good World :D

I feel like I need to share this with everyone because it's despicable. It's also an opportunity to vent :rolleyes: - I live in the Nth Inner City and have been campaigning for a Yes vote over the past two weeks. It has been a challenge but I'm converting some No's to Yes purely based on correcting the myths.

Educational attainment isn't high in my community and certain political groups and campaigners take full advantage of the lack of understanding. Perfect example, My own Mother. She's hard working and a caring typical Dublin "Ma" :D She's always pushed me to better myself at her sacrifice. This is what happened yesterday.

When I went to visit her we talked about all the Lisbon flyers she's received, she told me that a canvasser and "very nice gentleman" from a No campaign group was chatting to her and told her that if she refused to vote on Friday, her vote would be an automatic Yes !! My response was WTF !! Is this seriously what this referendum has become?

The sad part is this was mentioned to me by a neighbour this evening as well.

It's disrespectful, insulting and really is a new low...

Goodnight all :mad:

I do not believe a word of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

rebelmind wrote: »
    I do not believe a word of this.

Yes indeed, the people who are trying to scare us with tales of 200 billion in fisheries, abortion and EUthanasia would never sink to lying about this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

No voters tend not to believe anything inconvenient to their point, if this forum is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yes the OP encountered some lies. What about the lies linking a yes vote to jobs and economic recovery. Both sides are lying but the yes sides lies are disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rebelmind

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yes indeed, the people who are trying to scare us with tales of 200 billion in fisheries

Actually it's more like 100 billion.
    Ireland has still been ripped off by the EU, ask any fisherman.
    , abortion and EUthanasia

those are not relevant to the actual document of the treaty, so agreed there.
    would never sink to lying about this :rolleyes:

You joking?
    Were the Yes to Jobs/Europe/Recovery posters to be believed, all the country has to do is Vote YES & we have have no unemployed, instant economic recovery & nirvana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yes indeed, the people who are trying to scare us with tales of 200 billion in fisheries, abortion and EUthanasia would never sink to lying about this :rolleyes:
    Ignore him, I've asked him 4 times to back up his statement that we've been bullied in various threads and he has ignored anything that he's challenged over.

Yes the OP encountered some lies. What about the lies linking a yes vote to jobs and economic recovery. Both sides are lying but the yes sides lies are disgraceful.
    How much can one say in a poster? It's an opinion that a yes vote will bring jobs. €1.84 after lisbon can't be an opinion because it's impossible. ICTU, IBEC, IFA etc etc etc all believe a yes vote is the right option for businesses and workers. If businesses are to prosper then employment would follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Rb wrote: »
    Ignore him, I've asked him 4 times to back up his statement that we've been bullied in various threads and he has ignored anything that he's challenged over.

back up your own lies in this thread or mis_hoppings of truth..or let me ask you why are you voting YES? I am for the debate

Voltwad wrote: »
    How much can one say in a poster? It's an opinion that a yes vote will bring jobs. €1.84 after lisbon can't be an opinion because it's impossible. ICTU, IBEC, IFA etc etc etc all believe a yes vote is the right option for businesses and workers. If businesses are to prosper then employment would follow.

Both are lies though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Both sides lies are disgraceful.

I find things like the lies about abortion, conscription, commissioners, etc disgraceful.

It sickens me that both sides have many liars.

Both sides lies are disgraceful.

I find things like the lies about abortion, conscription, commissioners, etc disgraceful.

It sickens me that both sides have many liars.

Me too and I fully agree.

This sequence of posts again for me, sums up the no side on boards (most of them).

Originally Posted by Pride Fighter
    Originally Posted by Voltwad

Both are lies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

These tit for tat things are quite tedious to read. There really is an assumption here that it's only the no "side" lying and the vague threats of "uncertainty" from the yes "side" are grand cause they're only vague theories on what might happen. The govt. could quite easily put to rest any uncertainty (as could Barosso but he chose to pedal the same fear tactics) but I assume they believe it helps their campaign for people to be afraid to vote no.

It makes no sense why multinational corporations would make any business decisions based on a possible "no" result in this referendum. If the Treaty is rejected then these corporations will still have access to the EU market as Ireland will still be a part of the EU and it's likely that the next govt. will be made up of a majority of either FF, FG or Lab. The only real shift in political allegiances here was in the local/euro elections where Higgins was elected as MEP and PBP got a few council seats. The govt. could reaffirm it commitment to the EU with or without this thing passing.

With regards to Coir telling an old woman that if she refuses to vote then there'll be an auto yes vote. You could say the same the other way around. The yes campaigners, voters and posters here must worried of people voting no again either because they don't understand the Treaty or because of reasons not in it (which is apparently the two reasons why everyone voted no last time). I've seen posts on this site from people suggesting that if you don't know, then don't bother voting. I'd say it's likely that if there's a lower voter turnout it may help the yes vote.

Don't forget, the task here has been to get the 752,451 people who voted yes last time to vote yes again and to get about a hundred and something thousand of the 862,415 who voted no last time to vote yes. Apparently the main reason people didn't vote last time was because they didn't fully understand the referendum so if the "yes" campaign has managed to persuade the previous no voters to vote yes then you'd assume they'll have also convinced a number of people who didn't vote to show up and vote yes this time.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I've seen posts on this site from people suggesting that if you don't know, then don't bother voting. I'd say it's likely that if there's a lower voter turnout it may help the yes vote.

As opposed to 'if you don't know, vote no' which would you prefer? People to vote irresponsibly or not at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

No if there's a survey or poll after this thing and it shows that X amount of people voted yes on informed decisions then I'd accept that as democracy.

For what it's worth I'm of the opinion or assumption that it'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    It makes no sense why multinational corporations would make any business decisions based on a possible "no" result in this referendum.

The thing though that you're saying one thing and the heads of the multinational corporations are saying another. You can say it doesn't make sense all you want but the people you're talking about disagree with you

Advertisement