Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucozade sport.

Options
  • 30-09-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

I'm looknig for opinions on this. Do you think they so called "33% longer" theory is true. Personally before all matches and training sessions I drink a bottle and I think it does me good but not the 33% like it says. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I'm looknig for opinions on this. Do you think they so called "33% longer" theory is true. Personally before all matches and training sessions I drink a bottle and I think it does me good but not the 33% like it says. What do you guys think?

dunno, maybe only 32% !!? - seriously, 2 bananas and lots of water works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Banana's. I've heard they work but never tried them. Must get a few for next time. I'm weird though I don't like water.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BmxNoob

Or getting a normal bottle of water and adding a bit less then a teaspoon of salt into it then shaking ! thats what the experts recommend :)

Haven't heard of that one. Will try all suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

BmxNoob wrote: »
    Or getting a normal bottle of water and adding a bit less then a teaspoon of salt into it then shaking ! thats what the experts recommend :)

Hi There

Can I ask what would be considered a "Normal" bottle of water ?

Would it be a 500ml, 750ml or 1lt bottle ?

I have heard of drinking water with added salt after a hard session, where you have sweat a lot, to help replenish your sodium levels, however I think the OP was looking for something to take Pre exercise which might help him push that little bit longer/harder, and I am not sure that a salt water solution will help with this.

Best Regards,

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Pre workout bananas are great or pineapple or a rice cake or two with jam/nut butter..

The only time i go near stuff like luco sport is after a long(ish) run of at least ten miles - otherwise i prefer proper food and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

I've been taking a Berocca Boost lately for morning runs and it's working well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BmxNoob

Hi ,I normally use the 1 litre Dunnes stores water for this and i add just under a teaspoon of salt and shake it well ... for 750 ml just add 3/4 of what you would add for the 1 litre and add 1/2 for the 500 ml

I got this information off a sports nutritionist at a gaa course and they said that you should drink several litres of plain water ( no salt ) on the day of a match and an hour or so before the match ,add salt to your water and drink a bit every few minutes and during/after the match if possible and this will keep you hydrated etc. Its said to be as good as any energy drink !

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

500ml of water + 500ml of orange juice and you have your homemade isotonic drink. add bit of salt as the lads have already mentioned and you have a perfect recovery drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 EU RULES

Hi ,I normally use the 1 litre Dunnes stores water for this and i add just under a teaspoon of salt and shake it well ... for 750 ml just add 3/4 of what you would add for the 1 litre and add 1/2 for the 500 ml

I got this information off a sports nutritionist at a gaa course and they said that you should drink several litres of plain water ( no salt ) on the day of a match and an hour or so before the match ,add salt to your water and drink a bit every few minutes and during/after the match if possible and this will keep you hydrated etc. Its said to be as good as any energy drink !

U SHOULD BE DRINKING SO MUCH WATER EVERYDAY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Not really, your body can only kidneys can only absorb 2-2.5L of water a day and that includes the water you get from food sources, the rest just gets pissed away. There simply isnt a high enough salt gradient to accommodate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

danlen wrote: »
    500ml of water + 500ml of orange juice and you have your homemade isotonic drink. add bit of salt as the lads have already mentioned and you have a perfect recovery drink.

Nah that won't make it isotonic just sugary. you need additional salt for that.

This is probably the thing I've posted most on this forum:

Isotonic Drink
    200ml of Miwadi or similar
    1 litre of Water
    Pinch of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

One of the most important ingredients in a sports drink is the glucose. As you train or exercise your body takes stocks of glycogen and breaks them down to create the energy needed to do whatever it is you are doing (the ATP cycle). This glycogen is derived from carbohydrates (which is why endurance athletes carb load before events) and that is why the typical sports energy drink is high in sugar. It's these additional carbs that allow you to apparently "go 33% longer". The salt is to replace electrolytes lost through sweat. Electrolytes are chemicals that carry an electric charge and they are used in your muscles to transmit nerve impulses smoothly. Electrolyte imbalance is also suspected as a root cause of cramping and you can take too much salt, which is as bad as too little.

Connected to electrolytes is hyponatremia which is where you drink excessive amount of plain water, usually a risk in longer endurance events (marathon and up; IM triathlons, for example).

To be honest all of this sports drink for "33% more endurance" or "keeps you going in the last 15 minutes" is bull & marketing spin. If you are fully hydrated and eat a balanced diet with plenty of carbs then you have enough energy stored in your body to run a minimum of 18 miles without any need to refuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many isotonic drinks have a mixture of sodium & potassium salts, lo-lo salt has a similar mixture. You can get glucose in the babyfood section in supermarkets, or sometimes with the sugar or flour & cake making stuff.

Glucose, lo-lo & lemon juice would be my mixture. Tesco are selling regular lucozade very cheaply recently, dunno if the offer is still on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

rubadub wrote: »
    Many isotonic drinks have a mixture of sodium & potassium salts, lo-lo salt has a similar mixture. You can get glucose in the babyfood section in supermarkets, or sometimes with the sugar or flour & cake making stuff.

Glucose, lo-lo & lemon juice would be my mixture. Tesco are selling regular lucozade very cheaply recently, dunno if the offer is still on.

Tesco also sell their own brand of isotonic sports drinks. 49c each or cheaper again in a 4-pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Lucozade sport does make you go "33% longer" FACT its been proven and if it wasnt true it would be classified as false advertising and banned.

However

its important to take into account the situations in which this is the case.

The lucozade study was undertaken by getting 2 groups of athletes to Fast for 12 hours and then run to exhaustion.

group A was given lucozade sport
    Group B was given flavoured water.

the 2 groups were then asked to run again on a treadmill until exhaustion.

Group A was able to last 33% longer - mainly due to the high glucose content of lucozade.

so if you can find a sport / activity that requires you to fast for 12 hours and then deplete whatever energy you have in the tank before having to refuel - drink lucozade ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bubbleking wrote: »
    so if you can find a sport / activity that requires you to fast for 12 hours and then deplete whatever energy you have in the tank before having to refuel - drink lucozade ;)

Extreme starvation running, its the new celebraty weight loss craze.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I now think they do work. Was out running today and used it worked wonders. Whereas didn't use it yesterday and couldn't run at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Bag of glucose in dunnes is around 2euro, Just add to water,

Advertisement