Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of people around here?

• 30-09-2009 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm new around here. Just wondering is this place dj's, producers or just music lovers.

I'm into producing myself and have a mate that dj's. Going to be getting into the dj'ing in the next short while as I think the time has arrived for me to start doing at.

Mostly into Techno, Minimal, Tech house and house itself.

My best listening setup at the moment is Grado SR225i headphones with an m-audio soundcard and I have an amp for the Grados on the way.

Looking to start investing in a quality speaker setup for listening without the phones also into the near future.

Anyway that's me - any questions just ask. Not sure about the intro post - maybe a bit cheesy but want to introduce myself.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Hi & welcome... this place is a mixture of all really... DJs, producers, music lovers, w*nkers, nice people, old people, young people, cool people (well, only a few of the latter).

Big mixture of musical preferences here too from ambient to hard trance and all in between. Oh and hardcore breaks :pac: - Just buzzing with ya Johhny!

Nice headphones, been tempted to invest in a set of Grado at some stage too and they seem to get good reviews.

Nothing wrong with an intro post either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Hi & welcome... this place is a mixture of all really... DJs, producers, music lovers, w*nkers, nice people, old people, young people, cool people (well, only a few of the latter).

Big mixture of musical preferences here too from ambient to hard trance and all in between. Oh and hardcore breaks :pac: - Just buzzing with ya Johhny!

Nice headphones, been tempted to invest in a set of Grado at some stage too and they seem to get good reviews.

Nothing wrong with an intro post either!

Cheers mate. Yeah Grados are great and you can get a feel for their sound by purchasing their budget phones - the sr60 or sr80 - very forward sound, in your face and great bass. These phones will work without an amp aswell. You should be able to get a pair of the sr80's I think for just 80 euros.

I started off with the sr80's which prompted me to invest more into the 225i this time. I also had Sennheiser HD650 but it wasn't "high energy" enough so I sold it. I'm thinking now the HD650 would be a nice contrast to the Grados so may get them again.

If your ever around Galway you could listen to my setup.

Thanks for the reply.

Older people with good broad taste in all typed of electronic music and younger types who only know minimal and come in search of an education from their elders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Older people with good broad taste in all typed of electronic music and younger types who only know minimal and come in search of an education from their elders.

Some of them are slow learners too:)

• Advertisement

What's your area of expertise then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Pretty broad spectrum of people so here's a summary of the characters

Zascar : Mod of here. Rather than hand out bans, he tends to laugh at the forum's regular blowups.

Felix : The wise elder of here who while having an encyclopedic knowledge of older music, is clued up about newer music too. Often acts as a referee.

FlynnDog : Our roving reporter on the inside of the industry. What he doesn't know about the glitzy world of underground electronic music isn't worth knowing.

VinylJunkie : Key player in the Kitchen Sync empire. Loves a good chicken roll. Think he plays football too.

Davei141 : Quiet a lot of the time but when there's a chance to get a cracker of a joke in, he's on it. Think he plays rugby.

Acman: A right chancer who despite slagging off the Wright venue in Swords in an epic post, has been going there religiously on a Friday since it opened. He's fooling no-one! Think he plays breakdancing.

KevIRL : Another mod here but with the endless list of forums he mods, isn't around here much. Think he plays cricket, poker, electronic music and whatever else is on his ever expanding mod list.

Daroxtar : Our resident deck stand maker. Don't expect anything but bangers when he's on the sync. Think he plays techno techno.

Sean Nash: Our poster in exile (Australia is his current abode). Doesn't mind getting stuck in. He's a producer/dj and has a dog called Adi Bananas. Think he used to play funky house!!

Feel free to add to this list.

jtsuited wrote: »

Zascar : Mod of here. Rather than hand out bans, he tends to laugh at the forum's regular blowups.

Felix : The wise elder of here who while having an encyclopedic knowledge of older music, is clued up about newer music too. Often acts as a referee.

FlynnDog : Our roving reporter on the inside of the industry. What he doesn't know about the glitzy world of underground electronic music isn't worth knowing.

VinylJunkie : Key player in the Kitchen Sync empire. Loves a good chicken roll. Think he plays football too.

Davei141 : Quiet a lot of the time but when there's a chance to get a cracker of a joke in, he's on it. Think he plays rugby.

Acman: A right chancer who despite slagging off the Wright venue in Swords in an epic post, has been going there religiously on a Friday since it opened. He's fooling no-one! Think he plays breakdancing.

KevIRL : Another mod here but with the endless list of forums he mods, isn't around here much. Think he plays cricket, poker, electronic music and whatever else is on his ever expanding mod list.

Daroxtar : Our resident deck stand maker. Don't expect anything but bangers when he's on the sync. Think he plays techno techno.

Sean Nash: Our poster in exile (Australia is his current abode). Doesn't mind getting stuck in. He's a producer/dj and has a dog called Adi Bananas. Think he used to play funky house!!

Cool! Wiki page style!

jtsuited wrote:
    Thank you :pac:
    jtsuited wrote:
    And that was a cracker.:D
    jtsuited wrote:
    Ha the funny thing is it's true, If that DJ is reading he is secretly in love with you, acman even has your summer mix 2009 in his car, which incidentally has a ridiculously good sound system in it even if I can't fit in the back.

yeah should include with acman's entry:

his car has a better soundsystem than Berghain. seriously, it's fcuking crystal clear all the way down to 50hz. don't know how he keeps his eyes on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

I'm secretly being paid off :D

Cash_Seizure_Money.jpg

don't be posting pictures of your bed on here.

Jtsuited (aka Jonny68): Ireland's secret weapon when it comes to music production, probably needs to take more breaks though. Enjoys picking on people with hideous tastes in music and throwing tea-bags in cups from incredible distances.

don't be posting pictures of your bed on here.

That's my bog roll...

acman wrote: »
    Jtsuited (aka Jonny68): Ireland's secret weapon when it comes to music production, probably needs to take more breaks though. Enjoys picking on people with hideous tastes in music and throwing tea-bags in cups from incredible distances.

haha i'm busted!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

My mod list has been reducing and I'm looking to reduce it further thankfully.

As for posting on here, I dont get out now as much as I used to (old age) so am not as up to date unfortunately. Plus I miss my Essential Mix thread, the powers that be deleted that, grrrrrrrrr. It was epic.

KevIRL wrote: »
    My mod list has been reducing and I'm looking to reduce it further thankfully.

As for posting on here, I dont get out now as much as I used to (old age) so am not as up to date unfortunately. Plus I miss my Essential Mix thread, the powers that be deleted that, grrrrrrrrr. It was epic.

Why was it deleted?

Oh just thought of a worthy addition to the wiki list:

Francois : resident celebrity. Is in every documentary I've ever seen about dance music in Ireland in the 90s.

Oh just of a worthy addition to the wiki list:

Francois : resident celebrity. Is in every documentary I've ever seen about dance music in Ireland in the 90s also stars in werthers original and HB Hazelbrook farm ads.

FYP

FYP

huh????
    really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

huh????
    really?

True Story - in the olden days he used to play the wee nipper in the Werther's advert, nowadays he plays the old grandfather dude.

:pac:

looked for the ad and found this

What's your area of expertise then?

Discos in South Kerry, 88-98. From Aha to ZZ Top.

Aha, good stuff... I feel wise elder is a good enough tag having reached my stage in life. Funny to look back when I first started behind the decks, oh so long ago now... an early shot below -

kjh.jpg

Then one more recently when I played an oldskool set in Dublin a couple of years ago...

old1.jpg

FYP

:D I didn't know that either, are you taking the p*ss?!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    :D I didn't know that either, are you taking the p*ss?!

Course I'm not. :pac:

Spot our UFO friend in the ads below

:pac: Extraction of urine confirmed so! How did I (briefly) fall for that one... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

What a good thread! I really must try to post here more often, final year in college is taking up so much time...

Welcome workaccount

Ok lads thanks for the introductions and welcomes. I'd be interested to hear what music people are currently listening to.

Currently one of the tracks I'm really digging on beatport is Vivid (original mix) by motorcitysoul. https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/home/detail/1/beatport#app=c945&a486-index=3

Nebula by click box. https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/home/detail/1/beatport#app=c945&a486-index=5

Speedboat - Original mix by Swazyak. https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/home/detail/1/beatport#app=c945&a486-index=8

Raindown feat. Robina - Original mix - Spiritchaser. https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/home/detail/1/beatport#app=c945&a486-index=11

The last album I bought is Steve Bug - Collaboratory. (some good tracks but I haven't got into it properly yet)

Also listening to alot of old skool tracks at the moment.

• Advertisement

was seriously underhwelmed by Collaboratory. I'm listening to the Stimming album a lot.

oh and addition to the wiki list.

VinylJunkie : kind of a big deal.

was seriously underhwelmed by Collaboratory. I'm listening to the Stimming album a lot.

oh and addition to the wiki list.

VinylJunkie : kind of a big deal.

I defo think Donnachas track is one of the best on the cd. Love the way that pad is brought in and out.

acman wrote: »

...also worked in RTE in the past, now has a 11.5 step commute to work everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Very good - my hats off to JT! Although the johnny68 jokes were a bit predictable lads. Stimming is a legend Jt - Diynamic are a seriously cool label to watch out for. Also, welcome mate-a new addition is welcome!

Today I'm listening to Solomun- Dance baby, crackin album out soon on Diynamic also.

Inside scoop for those who care - Robert Dietz and Seth Troxler have moved to Cadenza.....exciting stuff

Yeah like the Solomun stuff too, but tbh not too keen on a good bit of the diynamic stuff (the more recent popular releases anywho).

Haha, flynndog delivers with some industry gossip!!
    Have to say though I don't get the Seth Troxler thing. Not a fan at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Yeah like the Solomun stuff too, but tbh not too keen on a good bit of the diynamic stuff (the more recent popular releases anywho).

Haha, flynndog delivers with some industry gossip!!
    Have to say though I don't get the Seth Troxler thing. Not a fan at all.

I couldn't not! I didn't get him at all when I saw him but some of his tunes are pretty cool.Undecided about wolf and lamb tho. Uner and Coyu are cool, even if their tunes are a bit electro-y. That new Io tune is a belter tho

• Advertisement

I've been checking out diynamic - that stimming album does seem very good - only listened to it briefly yesterday - Listened to an iO release aswell - really liked that. Will have to check out Solomun.

What do you think of Dubbyman (house) - their label has been highlighted recently.
    Here's a good one from him....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9TZgQPev3k (really nice groove)

Advertisement