Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer 9.5%, help.

• 30-09-2009 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

I was walking along the beach a few weeks ago and saw a can that didnt look familiar on the ground, I kicked it over and read it was 9%. Iv forgotten the name since, does anyone know what it was? And if so.. where can I get my hands on it? :D

Cheers.

could a mod edit the title plz? it was 9%
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Probably something like Tennents Super. Although if the 9% is what's exciting you then you (a) could do alot better, and (b) should probably read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

noby wrote: »
    (b) should proably read the charter.

I never said I was looking for a quick way to get drunk, Iv just never tried a beer with such a high alcohol content.

Tennents super it is, but the review I found isnt very positive :S

cheers Noby.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If it's 9.5% and comes in a can which someone threw on the beach, it's not likely to be a high-quality beer. It'll be tramp juice.

You can get decent beer this strong, and stronger, in proper beer off licences. Look out for Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, for instance. It's 10% ABV and, far more importantly, tastes delicious.

That Brooklyn Black sounds like heaven!

But where would I be able to pick it up? Nearish to me, Im in North County Dublin (Rush).. and there's NOTHING in Rush.

You might have to come into town for it. Sweeney's on Hart's corner or DrinkStore on Manor Street will likely have it. Granted it's more effort than picking up discarded beer on the local beach, but it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

it could be bavaria, they have one around that strength

Nope, defo Tennents super.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ulsteryank

That had to be one of those malt liquors that winos drink. That are some kid looking for a quick buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

McHughs Off License on the Malahide road might be an option near-ish to you. They have a really good range, I think I got the Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout there at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fanadfanad

I spent dome time in college in London some years back. Tennants Super (and Carlsberg Special Brew, Kestrel Super) were beers that were known as 'tramp fuel'.

Viz ran an advert calling Special Brew "Central Heating for Tramps" - In the same way as Ready Brek was central heating for kids!

Stay away from them super strength lagers as they taste woeful!

There are a plethora of strong Belgian beers out there that actually taste good.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, the Belgian golden ale called Gordon's Finest is, or at least used to be, Kestrel Super repackaged in a swankier-looking small bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

The Fine Wines off licence stock a beer that's around 9%. Can't think of the name of it though.

Advertisement