Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really think it's quite incredible that the turnout last time was 40%...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'll eat my hat - or similar :p - if the turnout is significantly greater than 53% (which is what I think ti was last time).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I'll eat my hat - or similar :p - if the turnout is significantly greater than 53% (which is what I think ti was last time).
    /warms a sauté pan and sets a place for Alan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

So the first vote is really a rehearsal vote? Can I assume from now on the first one doesnt count and to just vote in the second and third ones? At what point do they decide not to have another one?

And no I have no idea who Ganley is. Havent heard him or seen him. Just see him referred to now and then.

I think this is Ganley's problem: nobody knows who he is and, moreover, where his funding is coming from and what his agenda his.

The source of his wealth is dubious, although much of what is known about him revolves around his connections to shady arms deals and the US military.
    The fact that he has defined himself as a British businessman when registering his companies, that he has strong links with his fellow British eurosceptics and then turns around and claims (in his British accent) to be defending Ireland's independence is risible at best, at very, very best. A more dubious appearance on the Irish political scene in living memory is hard to conceive of.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

sceptre wrote: »
    Honestly, you've no idea who Declan Ganley is? Do you know who wouldn't be all that pleased about that? Declan Ganley. He contains 100% more Declan Ganley than other non-Declan Ganley former candidates and returned campaigners you know. But he'd never self-promote.
    You know, I keep hearing this and it confuses me terribly.
    Ganley is self-promoting, has dodgy financial backing, doesn't tell the truth, has a hidden agenda, shouldn't be trusted, and has wierd ideas about how we should run Ireland.

Grand so. What exactly in that list is different from any of our other politicians? As far as I can see of politicians in this country, those attributes aren't so much character defects as they are job requirements...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sparks wrote: »
    Grand so. What exactly in that list is different from any of our other politicians?

He also has an odd habit of turning up in different countries in times of financial crises and profitting handsomely...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ganley is self-promoting, has dodgy financial backing, doesn't tell the truth, has a hidden agenda, shouldn't be trusted, and has wierd ideas about how we should run Ireland.

Grand so. What exactly in that list is different from any of our other politicians? As far as I can see of politicians in this country, those attributes aren't so much character defects as they are job requirements...

Ganley is not an elected official and has no mandate from the people.

prinz wrote: »
    He also has an odd habit of turning up in different countries in times of financial crises and profitting handsomely...
    Seen JO'D's travel expenses from the last year or so yet? (www.thestory.ie if not). What the CC was doing in a foreign country costing us €97,000 is odd at least...

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ganley is not an elected official and has no mandate from the people.
    Neither does any other TD before they get elected, yet despite sharing his traits, few seem to condemn him on the same level.

Fair's fair lads. Burn all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

oscarBravo wrote: »
    /warms a sauté pan and sets a place for Alan

Touché! :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

so what kind of hat would you like to eat?

I hear the bowler hat is a nice choice if you like your meals chewy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Neither does any other TD before they get elected, yet despite sharing his traits, few seem to condemn him on the same level.

Fair's fair lads. Burn all of them.

Point.

But Ganley did stand for election and was crushed.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Point.
    But Ganley did stand for election and was crushed.
    Which reads like "You're right, there's a valid point there, but hey, lets ignore it and return to what we were doing regardless!"

Seen JO'D's travel expenses from the last year or so yet? (www.thestory.ie if not). What the CC was doing in a foreign country costing us €97,000 is odd at least...

(a) Ganley has nothing to do with the Ceann Comhairle, could you deal with one at a time, no?

(b) IIRC most of the expenses details that have emerged were actually from his time as a Minister, not his time as Ceann Comhairle.

(c) whoever the Ceann Comhairle is, they regularly attend international meetings and functions as 'neutral' representatives of the Irish Oireachtas. So I don't think it in the slightest bit odd.

(d) he abused the system and should be turfed out, I have no time for him.

(e) would you like to return to the topic at hand however and give your opinion of Ganley's remarkable opportunism for getting rich at the expense of others?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Rb wrote: »
    It's a disgrace. Those who don't vote shouldn't be listened to when they're moaning afterwards.

Those who don't vote
    must lose the vote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Which reads like "You're right, there's a valid point there, but hey, lets ignore it and return to what we were doing regardless!"

Maybe it reads like that if you're an idiot.

You're point that someone running for office doesnt need a mandate because they might get it if they are elected would be valid if Ganley had not already run for office and failed.

He has been rejected by the voters.

prinz wrote: »
    (a) Ganley has nothing to do with the Ceann Comhairle, could you deal with one at a time, no?
    My entire point was that they're all as bad as one another.
    (b) IIRC most of the expenses details that have emerged were actually from his time as a Minister, not his time as Ceann Comhairle.
    You do not recall correctly, but that's okay, as he released the more recent figures on Friday in an attempt to bury them beneath Lisbon. He gets some major coverage in the Times today and on the net however.
    (c) whoever the Ceann Comhairle is, they regularly attend international meetings and functions as 'neutral' representatives of the Irish Oireachtas. So I don't think it in the slightest bit odd.
    We disagree because of the scale of the expenses.
    (d) he abused the system and should be turfed out, I have no time for him.
    On that we agree.
    (e) would you like to return to the topic at hand however and give your opinion of Ganley's remarkable opportunism for getting rich at the expense of others?
    It strikes me as not being terribly remarkable when compared to the average Irish politician.

Mind you, we may be raising a more unethical variety of politician in Ireland.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    You're point that someone running for office doesnt need a mandate because they might get it if they are elected would be valid if Ganley had not already run for office and failed.
    That is not my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Well you've got a point there. But at the same time let's not tar all of our politicians with the same brush.

Also and very importantly political party's here have to show where they get the money from and it's never been from selling weapons to the US military.

My entire point was that they're all as bad as one another.

What a pointless point. If that's the case any sort of discussion of any politician, or failed politician as the case may be, should be immediately suspended, because they're all as bad as each other.... that's the kind of thinking that has FF in power in the first place :mad:

Advertisement