Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tearing down of posters...

Options
  • 30-09-2009 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Regardless of peoples opinions on the treaty and which side they are on, have many ppl encountered much removal of posters...

Libertas posters went up in our area about two days ago and i woke today to see that absolutely every single one of them within a radius of about two miles had been cut down.

i thought it was pretty disgraceful to be honest, didnt think things were so bad that either side would result to this.

has much of this gone on across the country from either side or is this occurence in the minority....

please lets try not to turn this into a slanging match of who done what to which side...just simply wondering if many people have encountered this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Had they received permission in your area to put them up in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

prinz wrote: »
    Had they received permission in your area to put them up in the first place?

i wouldnt know the answer to that question to be honest.

didnt even realise you needed permission to put up campaign posters:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'm sure it does happen but around town where I live there is a ton of posters from both sides. Of course I have the 'pleasure' of living near the Cóir base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I have seen a lot of No posters being ripped down , not really seen the Yes posters being taken down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I suppose people are just sick of having their intelligence insulted by the crap on the lightposts. Only a few days left though, hopefully Coir will be as quick to remove them as they were to put them up.

• Advertisement

NiamhDunk wrote: »
    i wouldnt know the answer to that question to be honest.

didnt even realise you needed permission to put up campaign posters:rolleyes:

If you check the Litter Pollution Act if I recall correctly you do. AFAIK it's a formality really as they are unlikely to refuse permission, however if no permission was sought then they are perfectly entitled to remove offending posters.

I hope they take away the strapping that they use to hold them up too. This is a fine worthy offence I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Maybe, it's pretty low tactic if it's been done

Though I heard of another tactic that your oppositions posters were taken down and then put back up one week after the election. Then the council is informed and there is a possibility of fines.

Could be a myth, it's usually mentioned around elections

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I admit I have considered the removal of a couple of souvenir posters, and those would be No posters, because the Yes posters are too dull to bother with. However, I intend to control myself until after the vote.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm sure they'll turn up in local students' bedrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I hope they take away the strapping that they use to hold them up too. This is a fine worthy offence I think?

For General elections its pretty hard to pin blame on someone for the plastic ties because the poster is the main evidence of who they belong to, pity though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Stark wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll turn up in local students' bedrooms.

Yep, students have an irresistible urge to take these as they stumble home drunk from the pub. They're like magpies!
    Posters and council roadworks signs.

mikemac wrote: »
    Yep, students have an irresistible urge to take these as they stumble home drunk from the pub.
    Posters and council roadworks signs.

I think the No posters with the teary eyed girl are a prime target where I am, I feel like giving that one a kick myself at times. Most of the No posters are badly positioned and so are ripe for vandalism. This is probably due to the inexperience of some of the No campaign.

I would make a grab for the nearest poster to me but I have no wish to have Eamon Gilmore's mug looking at me from the corner of my bedroom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I remember during the euros

one of the Ganley posters on headford road was mutilated with his boldie grinning head cut out in an oval shape from the poster

apparently to be used as a coaster

/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

As you drive from Shannon into Limerick, at the coonagh roundabout there is a giant sign that originally started out as a call to vote no because Europe stood by while Israel bombed Gaza killing hundreds.

One day I saw all the writing painted over in white.
    A few days later I saw new writing in black again, simply stating "They dont want you to know, vote no bla bla bla",

I then saw this sign knocked to ground a few days later,

And have since seen it up again.

Disgraceful from both sides tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

saw a car going around town last night with a group of guys putting big stickers that read 'lies' on the no posters.......

Beastieboy wrote: »
    saw a car going around town last night with a group of guys putting big stickers that read 'lies' on the no posters.......

It's a dirty tactic but the truth feels good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

regarding removal of ties afterwards and fines..someone suggested after lisbon 1, colour coded ties for campaigning parties..this way offenders could be identified after the cutoff date and fined accordingly..doesnt stop gobshiites ripping em down either I know

Colpriz wrote: »
    colour coded ties for campaigning parties..this way offenders could be identified after the cutoff date and fined accordingly..

I just had that same discussion with the girlfriend bout half an hour ago. Only way to try and solve half the poles* in the country having a load of plastic ties on them, which is the case now

*Not to be mistaken with Polish people who are on average tall, are not that tall and they like to move around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement