Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Private network with wireless

Options
  • 30-09-2009 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

Next friday i am bringing a laptop from work so that i can use VPN from home to connect to the work network. I have wireless at home-will using wireless make VPN possible? or will i have to use a ethernet connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

Yes, you can use VPN over Wi-Fi. I am presuming your IT department has setup your vpn client in such a way that it has all relevant settings and paremeters to allow you to connect to the corporate site.

There are a few gotcha's involved in vpn'ing from home (NAT-T, Address overlap) but only worrry about them if you have an issue connecting.

Kevin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

The IT guy i know said that in order to connect to the work network all i would have to do is press some button-im going to have to ask him about that tomorrow- i imagine ill be calling him on friday morning too! :confused:

If i give my work laptop the right WPA2 passphrase and let it through the MAC filter, will i be able to connect to work from home? to be honest i have the modem firewall set to the default settings. The last time i fiddled with the modem firewall i locked myself out..What does NAT do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    If i give my work laptop the right WPA2 passphrase and let it through the MAC filter, will i be able to connect to work from home? to be honest i have the modem firewall set to the default settings. The last time i fiddled with the modem firewall i locked myself out..What does NAT do?

Yes if you provide the correct WPA string and setup the mac filtering you will be able to connect to your home wi-fi network . This connection will allow you to connect to the internet and this internet connection in turn will allow you to connect the device in you workplace ( that sits on the internet). This device (usually a firewall/VPN concentrator) will then grant you access to your workplace.

The software installed on your computer (where you are going to click "connect" as you mention and the fore mention device in your workplace above will encrypt or scramble your data so it is unuseable should somebody get hold of it.Think of it as a tunnel. Sometimes your modem/firewall dosen't like the look of this scrambled data and will try and block it. You may need some help with this but it is nothing to worry about.

Normally IT guys are pretty good at setting this stuff up so you ll be grand I'd say if not , sure blame it on the nerds in IT...

NAT , God I wont bore you but if you are really bored....

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/vpn/a/vpn_tutorial.htm

Advertisement