Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need for wireless?

Options
  • 30-09-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

So im just wondering what exactly do i need to get wireless. Im staying in accomadation that has dsl broadband ( think its ntl 3mb). The modem or router i have is zyxel prestige 841 . Im wondering what can i but to make it wireless?

Am i looking for a router or otherwise and also how cheap can i get one for?? Thank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Dude is this your modem-http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20040812093058&CategoryGroupNo=B96F5DF1-0100-4327-99A6-F60B7B959F0D

If so there seems to be no built in wifi or stateful inspection firewall-exaclty where did you get this modem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

wannabepr wrote: »
    So im just wondering what exactly do i need to get wireless. Im staying in accomadation that has dsl broadband ( think its ntl 3mb). The modem or router i have is zyxel prestige 841 . Im wondering what can i but to make it wireless?

Am i looking for a router or otherwise and also how cheap can i get one for?? Thank

If you have NTL then you do not have dsl bb. DSL refers to bb provided over a phone line. Whatever type of bb you have you will need an appropriate modem. Sometimes that modem is combined with a wireless router (usually in the case of dsl bb) which appears to be what you have in the Zyxel. Most combined units like that xyzel cannot be used with ntl bb to give wireless. Lately NTL (or more correctly I suppose UPC) have been installing combined cable modem and wireless routers.

What you need is what is commonly known as cable wireless router. Its a router that does not have a dsl modem built in. A very popular model is the Linksys wrt54gl which is often recommended on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

dub45 wrote: »
    If you have NTL then you do not have dsl bb. DSL refers to bb provided over a phone line. Whatever type of bb you have you will need an appropriate modem. Sometimes that modem is combined with a wireless router (usually in the case of dsl bb) which appears to be what you have in the Zyxel. Most combined units like that xyzel cannot be used with ntl bb to give wireless. Lately NTL (or more correctly I suppose UPC) have been installing combined cable modem and wireless routers.

What you need is what is commonly known as cable wireless router. Its a router that does not have a dsl modem built in. A very popular model is the Linksys wrt54gl which is often recommended on here.
    yes well the modem is plugged into a phone socket also! I know that zyxel one will not give wireless, could i but a modem or router that would???

I hardly can use the neptopia eircom one??

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

wannabepr wrote: »
    yes well the modem is plugged into a phone socket also! I know that zyxel one will not give wireless, could i but a modem or router that would???

I hardly can use the neptopia eircom one??

Thanks

Did you actually read my post at alll?????????????????????????:rolleyes:

[
    Dub45 wrote: »

Did you actually read my post at alll?????????????????????????:rolleyes:

[

cool thanks so it def will work??:) dont want to spend 50 quid to find out it won't work! Is it easy installed?? Thanks

• Advertisement

would this one work.. Its a bit cheaper

Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Cable G54 Mbps Wireless Router

Thanks!!

Actually found out that the ISP is "Irish Broadband" , Will the same modem still work??? thanks

also does it make any difference i have a set ip address,dns etc to use according to my appartment. Will I still be using that will my new modem? thanks

Advertisement