Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo Awards 2009

Options
  • 30-09-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Pop trio N-Dubz scooped two awards at the Mobos in Glasgow winning best UK act and best album. But group JLS also picked up a pair of awards for best song and best newcomer.
    Keri Hilson was awarded best R&B/soul act while best hip hop act was won by rapper Chipmunk who had had four nominations on the night.
    Yolanda Brown won best jazz artist; best gospel act was Victizzle; best African went to Nneka while best DJ was won by Trevor Nelson.

Best international act and best video were won by Beyonce and Sean Paul was named best reggae artist. Accepting the award for best song for "Beat again", JLS's Marvin Humes said: "The band's success would have been inconceivable just a year ago.
    "I just want to say thank you to all our supporters who are here tonight."
    "I never thought we would be here. I never thought we'd get nominated, and I never thought we would win two awards."

This year's ceremony paid tribute to Michael Jackson, with Latoya introducing her brother Jermaine who performed on stage in memory of their brother.
    Jermaine said: "My brother was everything to me. He was a wonderful artist and a wonderful human being.
    "I'm here to do what I can, it is part of our responsibility as a family to continue his legacy and keep it alive."
    The awards were co-hosted by Radio 1's Reggie Yates and US R'n'B act Keri Hilson, with the winners chosen by public vote.
    Kanye West must be happy Beyonce won :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭an_other

Anyone else think that the MOBO awards are a little bit racist?
    If there were Music Of White Origin awards I'd imagine there would be up roar.

I'm not racist by the way. I like music no matter what colour it comes from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

an_other wrote: »

Not sure if i'd say racist, but yeah it's definately a double standard, and yeah if you started up the MOWO's theres no doubt in my mind there would be a bunch of black empowerment people saying it's a million times worse than the holocaust. But meh, they had a hard time of things for a few centuries, so if holding awards for diabolically bad pop-RnB artists, I say so what. The same is true in all elements of the media, it's perfectly ok to make racist or sexist statements, jokes ect but only if it's against white people or men. If some of the adds on telly where men are the butt of the joke had the gender roles reversed they would be pulled instantly. If some of the anti-white humour on telly was turned against other races there would be protests outside the studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

an_other wrote: »

Maybe not exactly racist but as you say, if there was an awards ceromony just for white folk, there'd be riots and Jessie Jackson raising hell.

Imagine it: Thousands of wealthy white people having a lavish party but blacks aren't really welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Not really racist, just completely irrelevant.

Advertisement