Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passat gearbox problem - need help

• 30-09-2009 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi lads,

I've got a gearbox problem.
    I've bought a car 2 months ago from a private sale(... I know:)). A VW Passat 2005 1.9TDI 6-gear.
    Recently I started hearing some noise coming out of the front of the car when I was driving 40mph or faster. It was like a drilling noise. Pretty similar to a faulty bearing noise. Doesn't matter if it is on a gear or whether the clutch is pressed or not. It is speed dependent only.
    I went to a mechanic and he told me it is a gearbox problem. There was a grinding - clicking noise when wheels were moved.
    My gears are working perfectly and there is no leakage from the gearbox itself.
    Do you think that it would be cheaper to get the gearbox repaired or to buy a second hand one? Or maybe it's not the gearbox?
    Any response appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Bad news my friend, it's the main bearing in the gearbox. The same happened me.
    I had to replace the box. (second hand one from the north).
    You can get the bearing replaced but you cannot get a guarantee that it won't fail within a year or so.
    Mr. Gearbox in Dublin wouldn't even give me a guarantee, of any sort - "why, because we don't guarantee sh1t and they are made of sh1t"
    This is the reason I bought a second hand one. There are two types of them too, one with the speedo reading from the drive shafts and another type that takes the speed reading from an electrical cable that connects to an electrical connector at the front of the box. I ended up getting the wrong one from the UK, got it fitted and the fuel guage or speedo woldn't work.
    I had to take that one out, send it back to blighty, at my expense, fight for my money back (which I got back), and do it all over again.
    Sorry, but the 6-speed box is known for this.
    The second hand box will be at least 800 EUR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wlodi81

That would put a big question mark to my bank account!!! I'll ring some of the lads in Cork area tomorrow and see what quote I will get. Is it that serious to change the main bearing in the gearbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

wlodi81 wrote: »
    That would put a big question mark to my bank account!!! I'll ring some of the lads in Cork area tomorrow and see what quote I will get. Is it that serious to change the main bearing in the gearbox?
    Afraid so, a lot of work, they use specialized gear for the 6-speed box. PM me your details and I'll give you a shout tomorrow and point you in the right direction.

Advertisement