Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon Beware of this one.

• 01-10-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭

I took up an Eircon contract about 8 months ago. The contracts run for 6 months. My broadband speed was slow so I complained. Nice engineer says we can upgrade you to 6mb so I say yes.

Now in response to costs & Eircon's decision to censor the net regarding Piratebay I decide to switch suppliers. Eircon claim that my decision to accept their upgrade instigated a new contract & Comreg agreed with Eircon.

I insist that Eircon send me a copy of the specific term in their T&C's that covers this. They refuse. I say that I will not pay any further bills & will take them to Court.

Today I get a very apologetic email from Eircon saying how it has all been a big misunderstanding by their customer services, that I can switch suppliers at any time & that my case will be used for future training.

Btw Eircon currently have reps in my area offering people €150 off their bill if they return to Eircon yet us hard pressed existing customers are offered bugger all !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Discodog wrote: »
    Comreg agreed with Eircon.

You expected anything else of eirComreg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

What is it with people thinking because they are existing customers they deserve more?

ISP's are not your buddy or missus, their not your corner shop that'll allow you services on thick or know you personally?
    Their a major company.... built on rules and systems not "how good you've been to them".

Your a number to them and thats the only way they can work, if you want a personalised friendly "corner shop" style service then fund an isp with a handfull of subscribers then they can call you by first name and get to know how good you are... mind it'll mean paying thousands for the connection a month.

There is a premium mobile service you can buy, their customer service is a direct line answered right away everytime. they help with anything you need no matter where in the world you are and even will help with local questions you have "where's the nearest limo service" type stuff. That level of customer service is great ....... their cheapest connection is around 10,500USD per year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The attitude of your post sums up why some businesses will be in the recession for a long time. Existing customers are the lifeblood of any business. All one has to do is look after existing customers then you don't have to worry about the competition stealing them.

New customers cost a fortune to get whilst existing customers are free. Your analogy is ridiculous in that basic good customer service does not cost a fortune. If Eircom gave their existing customers a good deal they wouldn't be having to pay a bribe of €150 each to win them back.

If Eircon had not tried to screw me & also not made the decision that they would decide which websites I can view, I would still be a customer. They would be getting money from me instead of someone else getting it.

In Ireland we have grown used to total rip off & crap customer service. Now we have a chance to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

All one has to do is look after existing customers then you don't have to worry about the competition stealing them.

good customer service does not cost a fortune

The reason your not offered a cheaper deal is because no one sales agent will get any commission for keeping you so theirs no point in any sales agent offering you anything, it would be different if you were a business offering a worthwhile monthly revenue.

Actually it does not make economical sense for any ISP to have good customer service as to give proper training for the tens of thousands of variations of things that go wrong would be far too expensive, the fact is your average ISP makes very little profit from having one customer and the quality of their customer care reflects this

Well Eircon's profits may not dip just because of me but if enough people cared about customer service then they might. Maybe you are right in that it's cheaper to get new customers than bother to look after existing customers. I can think of a few local businesses who followed that route when times were good. I can think of a major car dealer who told me that he "hadn't looked after the little guy". Too late now he has gone bust

If an ISP was honest & said that "we will give you the best price but the customer service will be crap" that would be a different matter but we already pay the highest prices for a lousy service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

The attitude of your post sums up why some businesses will be in the recession for a long time. Existing customers are the lifeblood of any business. All one has to do is look after existing customers then you don't have to worry about the competition stealing them.

New customers cost a fortune to get whilst existing customers are free. Your analogy is ridiculous in that basic good customer service does not cost a fortune. If Eircom gave their existing customers a good deal they wouldn't be having to pay a bribe of €150 each to win them back.

If Eircon had not tried to screw me & also not made the decision that they would decide which websites I can view, I would still be a customer. They would be getting money from me instead of someone else getting it.

In Ireland we have grown used to total rip off & crap customer service. Now we have a chance to do something about it.

I am with UPC a company which I lost it with here a short time ago.
    My broadband was crap for over a week and my HD television service had a sound problem.

My problems were sorted in the end after much frustration.

Never in all that time did I consider returning to Eircom .

What has happened in this country is pure greed and corruption.

Eircom was sold for a profit or as the result of a bribe and then resold and has since been run into the ground.

UPC a private company has taken the place the former state company had as in if you don't like them your choices are limited.

The big 3 we have to deal with for media are SKY EIRCOM and UPC and I could not score any of them high.

UPC are morons just like the other two but in my book they win because they have never been rude to me.

People should not pick sides if Eircom picked up their game and offered a reliable tipple play service at a good price I would jump ship and I am sure UPC would respond along with SKY that is how competition should work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eircom.

Moving on, it's well known that a change in your service means the start of a new contract.

To be honest, I don't know what the fúck you're complaining about seeing they sent you an apology!

FFS, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I gotta say the first thing I got from reading the op's post was the pungent stink of obnoxiousness. pay for the service and if you don't get it move on but comming on a site and bitching like a little girl and changing M to N in eircoMs name just makes you look bad.

daithimac wrote: »
    I gotta say the first thing I got from reading the op's post was the pungent stink of obnoxiousness. pay for the service and if you don't get it move on but comming on a site and bitching like a little girl and changing M to N in eircoMs name just makes you look bad.

Rubbish and shame on your post EircoN tried to trap him with a term and condition that he did not sign.

Look up the dictionary and look up the word Con it seems like eircoNs name is well deserved in this instance.

The reason that I used the tern Eircon was because they & Comreg lied to me in a series of emails & then had to admit that they were wrong. Their lie would of cost me money. Changing your service does not mean a new contract as Eircon have finally admitted.

If they have tried to force me to stay with them they are bound to of tried the same stunt on others. Now forgive me for complaining. I forgot that this is Ireland where we have been programmed to grin & bear it.

As for the "little girl" remarks well that alone says a great deal about you.

• Advertisement

Ranicand wrote: »
    Rubbish and shame on your post EircoN tried to trap him with a term and condition that he did not sign.

Look up the dictionary and look up the word Con it seems like eircoNs name is well deserved in this instance.
    As unfair as it may be, he didn't have to sign anything. He agreed to a new service thereby he agreed to a new contract. Once again, this is a moot point seeing as EircoM apologised.

The reason that I used the tern Eircon was because they & Comreg lied to me in a series of emails & then had to admit that they were wrong. Their lie would of cost me money. Changing your service does not mean a new contract as Eircon have finally admitted.

If they have tried to force me to stay with them they are bound to of tried the same stunt on others. Now forgive me for complaining. I forgot that this is Ireland where we have been programmed to grin & bear it.

As for the "little girl" remarks well that alone says a great deal about you.

Unless you acknowledge my post defending you I may agree with him.:D

As unfair as it may be, he didn't have to sign anything. He agreed to a new service thereby he agreed to a new contract. Once again, this is a moot point seeing as EircoM apologised.

After a threat of court.:rolleyes:

Also the OPs post is a warning to others not a bitch feast.

You don't HAVE to sign anything !. When did you last get a service from Eircom ?. To reiterate less anyone misreads this: Changing your broadband speed, changing your family & friend numbers etc does not constitute a new contract & does not tie you to Eircon for a further 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I'd be interested to see the text of the apology from EircoM. Somehow I get the feeling the words "as a special matter" will be there somewhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You don't HAVE to sign anything !. When did you last get a service from Eircom ?. To reiterate less anyone misreads this: Changing your broadband speed, changing your family & friend numbers etc does not constitute a new contract & does not tie you to Eircon for a further 6 months.

Be careful because this is not the case with all isps. So if you wish to change your speed you should clarify with your isp how this affects your contract with them before you commit to any change.

I still don't believe this, and won't until you back it up. As far as I know a change in service, as in an increase or decrease in broadband speeds includes a new contract, as far as I am aware this is the same for all ISPs.

Ranicand wrote: »
    UPC are morons just like the other two but in my book they win because they have never been rude to me.

So they were polite to you but yet you still call them morons... your attitude to these PEOPLE on the other end of the phone is ignorant. Listen to the way you talk about them? I would imagine its just a matter of time that they are rude back to you. You do realize UPC staff have been known to be on here???.... I feel for PEOPLE working in a call center I really do and having to put up with abusive arrogance like yours.

I highlight PEOPLE as you seem to have lost sight of that up your own a**e.:rolleyes:

As requested:

From Eircom

I am writing to you as requested in response to your recent complaint to Comreg regarding the eircom terms and conditions.I would like to confirm that there is no new contract for BB upgrades once you are already in a contract. i.e. if you are four monthsinto your contract and you wish to upgrade to another pack ie from 1mb to 7mb you still only have two months left of your contract. Once your six months contract is up you can move within packages at any time which will not enter you into a new contact. I understand that you have been previously misinformed and I would like to apologised on behalf of the company for any inconveniences caused. I have now flagged this matter and it will be used as a training exercise. Should you have any further queries please contact me directly.

with thanks

Annmarie Heeney
    Comreg Escalations Manager
    Customer Care
    01-7012067

This is a direct copy & paste complete with typos !. I wonder if the training exercise will include typing ?

If the doubter's PM their email addresses I will copy the Eircom Mail complete with headers etc.

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    So they were polite to you but yet you still call them morons... your attitude to these PEOPLE on the other end of the phone is ignorant. Listen to the way you talk about them? I would imagine its just a matter of time that they are rude back to you. You do realize UPC staff have been known to be on here???.... I feel for PEOPLE working in a call center I really do and having to put up with abusive arrogance like yours.

I highlight PEOPLE as you seem to have lost sight of that up your own a**e.:rolleyes:

Never rude on the phone only vent on here.

Not even talking about call center either.

TV 3 TG4 3 e plus UPC info channel itself do not have the correct widescreen settings.

History HD frozen for ages the other night.

Sometimes if a channel goes blank it is left that way for the night.

10 euro downgrade fee.

All of the above create a bad impression and me calling is moronic is kind because it could be UPC just don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Cant believe some people in this thread are picking up for Eircom......

Really some people......

Eircon have their faults but the main point of my thread is don't just believe what you are told. Eircon & Comreg both told me that it was "in the terms & conditions". I asked Eircon to forward a copy of the specific condition & they could not, because it didn't exist.

Eircon have an interesting T&C in that they say that "accessing their website indicates an acceptance of their terms & conditions". This is an unfair & unreasonable condition which could easily be challenged. After all you have to access their site to read the T&C's in the first place !.

I certainly don't think that any of the other ISP's are much better & I am having difficulty in getting information from any of them, to assist my choice. My main gripe against Eircon is their decision to censor the internet. It is amazing that everyone is up in arms when countries like China restrict site access yet we allow Eircon to behave in the same way.

Ireland is still in the dark ages when it comes to consumer rights & protection. Fortunately European law is starting to fill in the gaps but many Irish suppliers still believe that they make the rules. I wonder how many people shop in B&Q because of their "no quibble" return policy ?.

My main gripe against Eircon is their decision to censor the internet. It is amazing that everyone is up in arms when countries like China restrict site access yet we allow Eircon to behave in the same way.

Are you seriously comparing the oppression of one of the worlds largest bodies of people under a communistical regime in which basic human rights let alone human dignity is crushed every day... where the oppresion of women, children and men occus on a daily basis to eircom stoping your connection to pirate bay! My god thats almost disgusting that you even rate the two in the same leauge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

who do people see only one side of the argument.

Eircom blocked pirate bay, so that means than people cant get downloads for free, which they should be paying for, isnt it the same as being barred from HMV because you are caught stealing from there before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

r_obric wrote: »
    who do people see only one side of the argument.

Eircom blocked pirate bay, so that means than people cant get downloads for free, which they should be paying for, isnt it the same as being barred from HMV because you are caught stealing from there before.

You like Eircom dont you ;) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Just from reading the start of this can I wish to ask a question or2. Did you move from Eircom because of their new policy on Piratebay usage? If your new ISP brings in the same policy will you be tied into a contract there also? Personally I am waiting for a few months to see if the other ISP's follow Eircom before switching.

Just a passenger

I have no problem with Eircom (gosh spelt it right just to give everyone a happy weekend) or any other ISP provided that they tell me, before I agree to a contract, that they will lie or block my access to internet sites.

I am on the side of the musicians regarding free downloads & I have never used Piratebay but I totally object to an ISP deciding which site I can log on to. Who appointed them as Net Police ?. But before one signs up with Eircom or any other ISP one has the right to know how they will manage one's account.

Maybe your tower is a touch too high if you think that I am comparing Eircom to The Peoples Republic but Eircom were one of the first to jump in & block PB. The fact that Black Internet have now appealed the Swedish Court decision is a credit to them & shows that Eircom were very premature.

We are all able to post our views here & Boards have rightfully resisted pressure from certain companies to impose censorship. Once ISP's set a precedent how long will it be before they start trying to close access to other sites ?.

Mikefitz you have a good point. I am still with Eircom but I intend to get written answers from any ISP that I consider joining regarding censorship. Cost is a factor - I can save a lot but privacy & censorship matter more to me. For example some ISP's (including Eircom ?) will provide details to the authorities without a warrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I got a flyer off them today, & just got off the phone with them. Free line rental for 10 months, after that it is €20 per month more expensive than Ntl and for a slower speed (eircom 7mb as opposed to Ntl 10mb price).

I did not know they were blocking sites too. I don't user pirate bay but if they are blocking it then I will go with ntl on principle.

• Advertisement

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/record-biz-tries-suing-irish-isps-into-submission.ars

This article suggests that Eircom may of made a big gaff in that they have assumed that other ISP's would follow their lead. It appears that the majority will not & Eircom could lose business.

Advertisement